MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1280's New logo jeffgreen General Discussion 316 09-03-2009 07:41 AM
1280's New Logo Discussion Gets Heated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-02-2009 01:21 PM
1280's New Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
Welcome Week 2008 Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-16-2008 08:17 AM
Welcome Week Logo Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-14-2008 09:38 AM

University Logo Discussion

Old 08-02-2009 at 04:53 PM   #16
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

The UWaterloo leaked logo is not on the UWaterloo website because it is not yet official. The University is neither confirming or denying that this leaked logo is a true representation of a so to be released logo.

Having spoke with my contacts in higher education across the world (being a higher education reporter and having traveled to international tertiary education conferences, I have a good network of contacts), their review of the logo is mixed.

They give UWaterloo credit for trying something different but wondering how they will use the new logo on B&W letterhead. They also believe the W is too busy.

That said, there is a slight majority whom believe it is an improvement on the plain old coat of arms logo.
Old 08-02-2009 at 05:09 PM   #17
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

But what I don't understand is why the Universities feel a need to move away from their traditional and time honoured coat of arms/crosses/other medieval looking logos! From Most American Ivies and English Oxbridges down to smaller colleges , most places still have a traditional logo.
But I dunno Since Waterloo is a progressive Science based University they felt they need to move into the 21st Century? I think even places like Caltech and Devry have some wierd logos being modern Science Universities!

But the lasers/rave thing still confuses me!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 08-02-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2009 at 05:28 PM   #18
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
But what I understand is why the Universities feel a need to move away from their traditional and time honoured coat of arms/crosses/other medieval looking logos! From Most American Ivies and English Oxbridges down to smaller colleges , most places still have a traditional logo.
But I dunno Since Waterloo is a progressive Science based University they felt they need to move into the 21st Century? I think even places like Caltech and Devry have some wierd logos being modern Science Universities!

But the lasers/rave thing still confuses me!
One of the problems with the UWaterloo coats of arms is that its bland. Three lions?

UWaterloo's new logo is to try and create an instantly recognizable symbol internationally. This means it has to be different, but people don't like change, especially significant change.
Old 08-02-2009 at 05:32 PM   #19
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Is this one better?
I attached the pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waterloo.jpg (21.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-02-2009 at 06:00 PM   #20
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

I believe the laser show may be a representation of UWaterloo's Institute for Quantum Computer (www.iqc.ca) which is an institution of international distinction.

If UWaterloo is going to see a Nobel, it will be out of the IQC.
Old 08-02-2009 at 06:06 PM   #21
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times

Are there actually people who go "Oooooh, lasers! That's cutting edge!"

And, perhaps more importantly, would you want these people coming to your school?

scott000 likes this.
Old 08-02-2009 at 09:30 PM   #22
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

I actually like the new logo. I guess I am the minority.
Old 08-02-2009 at 10:14 PM   #23
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

So do I. Waterloo is not known for being one of those old-school ivy league schools. Its known for being very 21st century and cutting edge. I dont think the old symbol reflected that but I think the new one does.
Old 08-02-2009 at 10:16 PM   #24
Alex McColl

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmash26 View Post
One of the problems with the UWaterloo coats of arms is that its bland. Three lions?
1 Rampant Lion of Scotland is on the Royal Scottish Flag and represents Scotland on the British Coat of Arms. Are you discriminating against Scots by insulting our national symbol by calling it bland?

I'm not really outraged, I just don't get many opportunities to play devil's advocate, I mean victimised minority very often... although the Kilt does get a few looks, the Dirk (large knife) tends to keep the insults at bay.
Old 08-03-2009 at 10:48 AM   #25
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmash26 View Post
I believe the laser show may be a representation of UWaterloo's Institute for Quantum Computer (www.iqc.ca) which is an institution of international distinction.

If UWaterloo is going to see a Nobel, it will be out of the IQC.
The "lasers" on the new logo are meant to be representative of fibre optics.

I forget where I read that, I'm trying to find a link to it.
Old 08-05-2009 at 11:53 AM   #26
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Hahaha! Oh my goodness. That logo is really awful. Makes me think "University of Waterloo - we have lasers!"

I feel I might have stolen that from Family Guy or something though

Anyway that looks terrible. I'm not even going to be nice about it. It. Looks. Terrible.

Reminds me of this for some reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18cXl8MgoZs

Last edited by HeatherH : 08-05-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2009 at 01:18 PM   #27
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

It's really difficult to rebrand such an old institution with a "classic" logo.

But newer universities like York and UOIT probably had less of an issue that their logos are more "modern" because there wasn't anything to compare to.