MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MATH 1B03 and MATH 1C03; courses and professors Sync Academics 1 06-14-2008 10:50 AM

University Math vs HS Math

Old 06-29-2011 at 11:27 AM   #1
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

University Math vs HS Math
Are the second year math courses like MATH 2A03 very proof-based? How different is it from high school math?

I like math but the type where you do calculations only. I don't like theory or proofs so would MATH 2A03 be right for me?

I'm asking because I would have to take 3 first year courses to meet pre req requirements for 2A03. And I don't want to later hate it.

If not can someone suggest pure calculation based 2nd year courses? I like math based courses because the marking is more objective than subjective in those classes.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2011 at 11:33 AM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

well you should take first year math courses first and see how you like those.
Old 06-29-2011 at 11:45 AM   #3
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

High school math is so ambiguous in terms of difficulty, teaching style, and in some case the information because of the variety of different high schools no one but people at your own school could compare.
Old 06-29-2011 at 12:15 PM   #4
Nathanma

Liked: 7 Times

The university math courses are faster pace and require you to do alot more hmwk. The tests tend to be most difficult with the exams easier since it is the whole course with all of the theories and concepts being tested. I would recommend talking with your faculty academic advisor because some faculties don`t allow you to take 2nd year courses first year
Old 06-29-2011 at 12:50 PM   #5
Galleria

I don't think I was being clear in my first post lol.

I don't want to take a 2nd year math right now, I just want to know what courses I should take right now.

So here's my dilemma:
For a 3 year degree you are allowed no more than 42 units of first year courses = 21 units electives.

I really want to take (over a couple of years):
PHYSICS 1B03
PHYSICS 1BB3
MATH 1A03
MATH 1AA3
MATH 1B03
ECON 1B03
FRENCH 1Z06

You'll see that this comes up to 24 rather than the allowed 21. I would not take MATH 1B03 unless I had to do an upper year math for which this is a pre req. So I'm stuck right now. What do I take and what do I leave out?
Old 06-29-2011 at 12:52 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleria View Post
I don't think I was being clear in my first post lol.

I don't want to take a 2nd year math right now, I just want to know what courses I should take right now.

So here's my dilemma:
For a 3 year degree you are allowed no more than 42 units of first year courses = 21 units electives.

I really want to take (over a couple of years):
PHYSICS 1B03
PHYSICS 1BB3
MATH 1A03
MATH 1AA3
MATH 1B03
ECON 1B03
FRENCH 1Z06

You'll see that this comes up to 24 rather than the allowed 21. I would not take MATH 1B03 unless I had to do an upper year math for which this is a pre req. So I'm stuck right now. What do I take and what do I leave out?
How does 42 units of first year courses = 21 units electives?

In your schedule you have 24 first year units out of the 42, I don't see anything wrong.
Old 06-29-2011 at 01:00 PM   #7
Galleria

First year Health Science mandatory courses are 21 units.

So for us 42-21 = 21 units of first year electives that we are allowed in total
Old 06-29-2011 at 01:03 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleria View Post
First year Health Science mandatory courses are 21 units.

So for us 42-21 = 21 units of first year electives that we are allowed in total
Link to the 3 year Health Science degree please?
Old 06-29-2011 at 01:40 PM   #9
Galleria

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/bhsc_courses_year_1.h tml and http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/bhsc_courses.html
Old 06-29-2011 at 02:38 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Ah ok, weird... never knew there was a normal Health Science degree as opposed to Honours.

Anyways, you can still take the extra 3 units of level I courses but it won't count towards your degree so you'll have to make up those 3 units by either overloading, summer school or staying another year.
Old 06-29-2011 at 04:57 PM   #11
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

Actually in Math 2A03 there are no proofs at all. I never took it, but I took Math 2X03 and 2XX3, which are the advanced calculus courses. The textbook has proofs for its theorems, and the prof might present a proof here and there in lecture, but there are no questions that require you to come up with a proof on a midterm or exam. All second year maths are still very computational, just a little more difficult. The only class (as far as I'm concerned) that involves you to do proofs on tests is Math 2S03, which I found pretty difficult.