MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upper years in residence macbaby07 Residence & Housing 28 03-14-2010 01:05 PM
Meeting Upper Years JY123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 50 09-11-2009 03:56 PM
Packing for Residence: A MacInsiders Guide PilotMal First Year Success 4 09-03-2009 01:05 PM
Res for Upper Years Kevin Residence & Housing 2 05-17-2008 06:14 PM

Upper Years: Things you would think of packing for residence?

Old 07-24-2011 at 01:28 PM   #1
davied

Liked: 1 Time

Upper Years: Things you would think of packing for residence?
Hey guys and gals, as the 2011-2012 school year is quickly approaching some of us first years are getting ready for the move to residence. What advice could you give us when it comes to what to bring and what not to. I know that Mac sent a package with this stuff in it but it was the basic stuff like beddings etc.

What are those random things that you wouldnt really think of right away, like my friend told me to pack a kettle so i can make a cup of coffee whenever I need some without leaving the room.

Anything's appreciated, thanks !
Old 07-24-2011 at 01:44 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by davied View Post
Hey guys and gals, as the 2011-2012 school year is quickly approaching some of us first years are getting ready for the move to residence. What advice could you give us when it comes to what to bring and what not to. I know that Mac sent a package with this stuff in it but it was the basic stuff like beddings etc.

What are those random things that you wouldnt really think of right away, like my friend told me to pack a kettle so i can make a cup of coffee whenever I need some without leaving the room.

Anything's appreciated, thanks !
Here's the check list I made last year:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea... ghlight=List

davied says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

davied likes this.
Old 07-24-2011 at 01:55 PM   #3
davied

Thanks sooo much this is exactly what I was looking for.

... but i feel dumb that I didnt find this thread before I started a new one lol
Old 08-30-2011 at 05:15 AM   #4
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times

umm also you cant use your kettle in the room sorry :(
Old 08-30-2011 at 11:46 AM   #5
yoni

Liked: 88 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMe3 View Post
umm also you cant get caught using your kettle in the room sorry :(
fixed that for ya

giftedchick, particle like this.
Old 08-30-2011 at 11:56 AM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

With the rates of fires in residence, it's really dangerous to everybody else to use appliances with heating elements in your room. So yes, you might think that you can just "not get caught" but you could also burn your own room down. Accidents happen a lot more than you think.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

enarab likes this.
Old 08-30-2011 at 12:01 PM   #7
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Also, if you live closer to Hamilton (ie Guelph, Sauga, etc), then you can bring all the necessary living essentials (bedding, some clothing, computer, books) and not everything all at once. Then as you go home during the school year, you can slowly bring more stuff as necessary (ie winter clothing, interior decor, etc). This will make moving much easier as you will have less stuff to move in.
However, if you live kinda far (Kingston, London, St. Catherines) this may not be so feasible.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 08-30-2011 at 01:06 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
Also, if you live closer to Hamilton (ie Guelph, Sauga, etc), then you can bring all the necessary living essentials (bedding, some clothing, computer, books) and not everything all at once. Then as you go home during the school year, you can slowly bring more stuff as necessary (ie winter clothing, interior decor, etc). This will make moving much easier as you will have less stuff to move in.
However, if you live kinda far (Kingston, London, St. Catherines) this may not be so feasible.
That is something I'll be doing (moving over the school year xD).
Old 08-30-2011 at 07:50 PM   #9
jen-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
With the rates of fires in residence, it's really dangerous to everybody else to use appliances with heating elements in your room. So yes, you might think that you can just "not get caught" but you could also burn your own room down. Accidents happen a lot more than you think.
How is the school okay with allowing flat irons which reach 210 degrees Celsius, while kettles boil at a cooler temperature? Unless flat irons are banned, but I have yet to see a horde of angry girls ranting.
Old 08-30-2011 at 08:26 PM   #10
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen-power View Post
How is the school okay with allowing flat irons which reach 210 degrees Celsius, while kettles boil at a cooler temperature? Unless flat irons are banned, but I have yet to see a horde of angry girls ranting.
most flat irons (at least all i have had so far) do have auto shut-off. I imagine most kettles would have this too! but you make a good point!
Old 08-30-2011 at 09:24 PM   #11
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

The University is ok with it for the following reasons.

1) Their lawyer has pointed out the possible liability yet.
2) One hasn't caused damage yet.
3) No one has thought about it and said "Yeah it should be banned"

If one of those things happen, I'm sure it will end up banned.
Old 08-30-2011 at 10:32 PM   #12
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
The University is ok with it for the following reasons.

1) Their lawyer has pointed out the possible liability yet.
2) One hasn't caused damage yet.
3) No one has thought about it and said "Yeah it should be banned"

If one of those things happen, I'm sure it will end up banned.
If hair straighteners are banned McMaster will become an all-boys school lol.

Last edited by Galleria : 08-31-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 08-31-2011 at 08:58 PM   #13
Diane0916

bring a mini fan, slippers ( you need that in the bathroom), some of your posters to stick on the wall. Use bags to carry your clothes instead of using luggage bag..coz you don't really have enough room to store it after you unpack everything.

RyanC likes this.
Old 08-31-2011 at 09:56 PM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen-power View Post
Yes, water boils at a lower temperature, and I agree that if there was an accident involving a flat iron people would look into that.

I don't know all the rationale behind the argument and won't say I do but here's my guess:

With kettles, you're boiling a decent amount of water that can spill and cause water damage, burn through other things, etc.

With things like rice cookers, you have the chance of "overcooking" and the same problem with spills, etc. If you use oil in your rice cookers, that's another problem as well.

I have seen some damage from flat irons left on in residence, but they can't really spill over. Also, the other comments are right, that's a lot harder to regulate and its tough to draw a line. I.e. hair dryers vs straightening irons, etc. Banning cookware with heating elements is a lot easier.

So in short: I don't know.
It's a good point to bring up but would be met with a good amount of backlash.
I imagine that cookware is considered "a gateway heating element". I.e. a kettle today, a coffeemaker tomorrow, a rice cooker on Thursday and suddenly a bunch of heating appliances.

I hypothesize that its just easier.
But I can't say.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

arathbon likes this.
Old 08-31-2011 at 10:45 PM   #15
vvndn

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Here's the check list I made last year:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea... ghlight=List
it says to bring a Casio FX-991MS Calculator, is that the only kind we're allowed to use? or is that like the recommended one?