MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone dropping these courses nadia1 Academics 0 07-16-2010 11:49 AM
Question about Dropping Courses Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-14-2010 01:19 AM
Urgent! 2nd year courses question ... EngLufLuf General Discussion 8 06-29-2009 12:33 AM
Dropping courses at the deadline Goce Academics 5 02-26-2009 06:35 PM
Dropping courses Afrisa Academics 1 11-02-2007 09:51 AM

URGENT! Dropping Courses

Old 10-20-2009 at 09:04 PM   #16
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizliz View Post
if i drop a course now, i will only have completed 27 credits. is it a bad idea to enter 2nd year without having completed 30 credits; i know i'll eventually make up for that class (probably next year).
I agree with jhan523. As long as you make up the credit in the future, it wont be problematic. However, it is important to keep in mind that it will affect your OSAP funding (if you are using OSAP this year).
Old 10-26-2009 at 04:53 PM   #17
Lizliz

Liked: 15 Times

i heard that If i were to take summer classes i would have to get permission from some1, can someone expand on that and maybe tell me wat exactly i would have to do?

Also, do i just register for these classes using solar?

i'm really freaking out now cuz apparently if i dont have all my 30 credits by the beginning of next fall i wont actually be in the honours math and stats program.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-26-2009 at 05:17 PM   #18
luv.ng.u

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
i heard that If i were to take summer classes i would have to get permission from some1, can someone expand on that and maybe tell me wat exactly i would have to do?

Also, do i just register for these classes using solar?

i'm really freaking out now cuz apparently if i dont have all my 30 credits by the beginning of next fall i wont actually be in the honours math and stats program.

Thanks in advance

Well, it really depends on what course you're taking. If it requires specific prerequisites and you don't have them, then obviously you won't be able to take the course. But in terms of "getting permission", from my experience, all I had to do was go to the professor or associate deans office and ask them to sign me a waiver so I can apply through Solar. It's just like regular courses during the year. The course I wanted to take was Music 2F03, (I think) and I just went to the professor, told him that I was in Science and wanted to take that course as an elective so he just signed a "waiver" which was electronic and I could apply on Solar. The only reason why I couldn't take that course was because I was still in first year and I guess that meant I couldn't apply to second year courses since I haven't gotten all my grades from first year.

Usually if you wanted to take first year courses, it should be fine. But you do have to make sure you do have the prerequisites. (as always)

Hope you're not stressing too much about it.

Lizliz says thanks to luv.ng.u for this post.
Old 10-26-2009 at 05:24 PM   #19
Lizliz

how do u know exactly if u need permission? does it say on solar or somthing during march when i'm applying? i'm soo confused.

i was told i'de be able to take 2nd year courses if i had the prerequisites but i wouldnt actually be in level 2. i dont even know wat that means?

and thanx Clarissa
Old 10-26-2009 at 10:52 PM   #20
rrtt
Elite Member

Quote:
how do u know exactly if u need permission? does it say on solar or somthing during march when i'm applying? i'm soo confused.

i was told i'de be able to take 2nd year courses if i had the prerequisites but i wouldnt actually be in level 2. i dont even know wat that means?

and thanx Clarissa
If you aren’t allowed to enrol in a particular course for some reason, SOLAR won’t let you register. An error message will come up whenever you try to add the course on SOLAR. If this happens (i.e., the error message comes up/you can’t add the course), you will need to get permission.

As long as you have permission from a professor/dean/faculty, you can pretty much take a course of any level (i.e., you can take 3rd year courses in 2nd year or a 1st year courses in 4th year.) However, your enrolment in a particular level course doesn’t mean that you are necessarily in that level. In your case, even though you are taking a second year course, you are still a first year student. In other words, registration in a second year course doesn’t mean that you are a second year student.

Hope that helps!

Lizliz says thanks to rrtt for this post.
Old 10-27-2009 at 05:05 PM   #21
Lizliz

thank u. one last thing.

to enter a level 2 program (if there's more than one choice in ur program) do u have to apply to that program. if so how do u go about doing that? is that also done on solar and is it done before the end of the year? that being said if i dont meet minimum requirements until after the summer does that mean i wont have first pick for the level 2 program i want? (meaning can they fill up all the spaces?)

and if its completely full is there no way of getting around that is thats wat i want to do as a career?

i know its alot of questions but once i have them answered all my problems will be solved!
Old 10-27-2009 at 05:11 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
thank u. one last thing.

to enter a level 2 program (if there's more than one choice in ur program) do u have to apply to that program. if so how do u go about doing that? is that also done on solar and is it done before the end of the year? that being said if i dont meet minimum requirements until after the summer does that mean i wont have first pick for the level 2 program i want? (meaning can they fill up all the spaces?)

and if its completely full is there no way of getting around that is thats wat i want to do as a career?

i know its alot of questions but once i have them answered all my problems will be solved!
Yes, you sign up online. You pick up to 5 programs that you wish to get into. It's done before school ends, but you get accepted/rejected later on.

I believe it's done on SOLAR, I can't quite remember though.

Not sure how it works for summer school courses. The most logical thing is that if there is still space, you will be accepted into the program. Not sure if there are conditional acceptances.

Lizliz says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 10-27-2009 at 05:20 PM   #23
Lizliz

so i lied. one last question.

since taking second year courses doesnt necessarily mean im in a level 2 program and if it comes down to it and m not able to enter the program of my choice, cAN i take all the courses that i would have taken in that program anyway(since i have the prerequisites) and then reapply the following year?

but if i do that wont i have already then completed all the requirments for the third year program? this is so confusing.
Old 10-27-2009 at 10:26 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
so i lied. one last question.

since taking second year courses doesnt necessarily mean im in a level 2 program and if it comes down to it and m not able to enter the program of my choice, cAN i take all the courses that i would have taken in that program anyway(since i have the prerequisites) and then reapply the following year?

but if i do that wont i have already then completed all the requirments for the third year program? this is so confusing.
You can take any course you have the prerequisites for. Some courses require you to be in a certain program/faculty however, but you can always ask for a waiver from the professor by pleading your case and you might be given a seat. Not sure how common that is... I've heard of that possibility but I don't actually know anyone that has done it.

A program doesn't have a year associated to it. As long as you have all the prerequisites to enter the course and there is space, then you will be admitted into the program.
Old 10-29-2009 at 06:06 PM   #25
rrtt
Elite Member

Applying to Year II programs is done on SOLAR. It is very similar to registering for courses.

If you have applied to a program but you will be completing one of the prerequisites in the summer, your acceptance into the program will depend on the completion of the prerequisite. As long as you have met all the other requirements (i.e., you have the required GPA and you have completed all the other prerequisite courses), you will be given conditional acceptance. If you complete the pre-requisite course in the summer and get a good mark, your acceptance will be finalized. If you are given conditional acceptance, you are pretty much guaranteed a spot in the program (i.e, your space won’t get filled) once you complete the summer school course.

If the program is small and only accepts a few students/year, they will accept students who have all of the prerequisites over students who are taking the prerequisites during the summer (unless there is a HUGE difference in marks).

If you do not get into the level II program of your choice, you can “shadow” the program and then apply for admission in third year.

Lizliz says thanks to rrtt for this post.
Old 10-30-2009 at 09:17 PM   #26
Lizliz

now i m beyond confused. the math and stats people said that i need 30 units by the end of the year to enetr a 2nd year program and an academic advisor said i only need 24 units and that i was fine. i found this online :
Enrolment in this program requires completion of any Level I
program (a minimum of 24 units) with a Cumulative Average of
at least 6.0 including the specified courses and where stated,
minimum grade requirements.

so now i dont know wat to belive. my degree audit says that i dont have the minimum requirments to contnue in the math and stats 1 program. the only course i cancelled was an elective.
does any1 have some idea wats going on. everyone is telling me something different. any1 been in a similar situatioN?
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:26 PM   #27
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
if i drop a course now, i will only have completed 27 credits. is it a bad idea to enter 2nd year without having completed 30 credits; i know i'll eventually make up for that class (probably next year).
Well if you have an entrance scholarship, I would highly recommend that you take another "easy" course in 2nd term in order to renew it or qualify for Dean's Honour List.

You can still stick with your program, but if there are math/stats specializations, you may not get the program that you want. BUT, you can always shadow it.
Old 11-01-2009 at 05:18 PM   #28
nemo123

Liked: 0 Times

Why is SOLAR unavailable, i need to drop a course ASAP!!!!! before nov 6th,

do you guys know why it's unavailable and when will it BE available?
thannkss
Old 11-02-2009 at 04:26 PM   #29
rrtt
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo123 View Post
Why is SOLAR unavailable, i need to drop a course ASAP!!!!! before nov 6th,

do you guys know why it's unavailable and when will it BE available?
thannkss
SOLAR is working for me. I would suggest trying again