MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
urgent question Haris Academics 4 06-15-2014 09:53 PM
Urgent Course Question gunsnroses Academics 3 06-07-2013 05:58 PM
Admissions Question jmarts First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 12-03-2011 11:03 PM
Urgent GO Bus Question Desda General Discussion 6 10-19-2010 08:03 PM
urgent osap question danallan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-28-2009 08:53 AM

Urgent Question about BTech Admissions

Old 07-31-2014 at 09:55 AM   #1
RampageX

Liked: 0 Times

Urgent Question about BTech Admissions
It's unfortunate that my first post is an urgent one, but I really do appreciate your help if can give it.

I just graduated from a college in Ontario in Civil Engineering Technology. I applied for the degree program at McMasters in order to get my B.A. But, I have one problem. My GPA hasn't reached the 3.0 mark to get accepted. I'm now at a 2.8, but this was after redoing classes I messed up from my first year. All other marks after that have been great if not excellent. Is there a way to still get into the program, even if it means some sort of a probation on my first semester or I'll need higher than a B to stay in the program for a second semester. I'm going into this program with a few friends as well and do not want to fall behind. I know the subject matter in the program is hard, but I'm confident I can hang with everyone else.

Please help me figure this issue out, I haven't got much help from my school and talking to the people who run btech takes forever as there is someone always gone or on vacation.
Old 07-31-2014 at 10:16 AM   #2
RampageX

bump up
Old 07-31-2014 at 10:34 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

First, there's no need to "bump" your post after twenty minutes.

Second, even though it's been harder because it's summer, you have to talk to the program admissions office and/or registrar. You don't meet the cutoff for admission into the program, and they're the only ones who can grant exceptions. If the program is full though, they probably won't - especially if there are no extenuating circumstances that led to the low grades. Still can't hurt to try, though, but don't get your hopes up too high.

RampageX says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 08-02-2014 at 10:04 PM   #4
RampageX

Thank you for the response.

Sorry about the bump

I do actually have a reason as to why my first semester was horrid. Is there a way for me to convey this to them?
Old 08-02-2014 at 10:20 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageX View Post
Thank you for the response.

Sorry about the bump

I do actually have a reason as to why my first semester was horrid. Is there a way for me to convey this to them?
During the application process there is usually section to include any extenuating circumstances (and include documentation if applicable). It might be past the deadline for that - and if the program is already full then it likely won't really matter anymore what your circumstances were - but again, it can't hurt to try.
Like I said before, it's the admissions people you need to speak to.