MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vector marketing ?? Kevinabrahak Volunteering Opportunities 19 07-18-2013 07:51 PM
is vector a scam? Jesse.C First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 05-31-2013 11:26 PM
Vector Programs mike_302 Computers & Tech 0 08-12-2011 11:53 AM
UCalgary + Vector Marketing Partnership lorend Volunteering Opportunities 6 04-29-2010 03:55 PM
Help!!!! (First year Mac experiences) deetee Academics 20 05-25-2008 03:01 PM

VECTOR MARKETING Job Experiences??

Old 04-17-2014 at 11:42 PM   #1
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

VECTOR MARKETING Job Experiences??
Hi there,

I heard about this company called Vector Marketing. I've seen them in MUSC a few times, saw their job post ad on OSCARPLUS, and even see their job postings all over Kijiji and Craigslist. Haven't actually gotten the chance to speak with them when they were here on campus at MUSC.

I don't know too much about the company and don't know anyone whose ever had a job with them. From reading previous threads, there have been some pretty mixed reviews of whether or not to work here or not. I am considering working for them in the summer as a "Marketing intern/student".

Was just wondering if anyone who has worked with them would be willing to share their job experience, what you enjoyed/didn't enjoy about working there, and whether you would recommend it for others??

Any helpful insight would be appreciated.
Thanks folks!
Old 04-18-2014 at 09:28 AM   #2
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I got hired for the job in first year for a school time position and I ended up turning it down when I found out I would be selling credit cards and their features at gas stations for the school year. Like not one of the people in the booths, but approaching random people pushing cards.

I would ask in detail what the job entails. I am sure they have real jobs too, but I don't remember what my job was technically called but they tried to glorify being a face-to-face salesperson
Old 04-18-2014 at 09:59 AM   #3
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

I turned down an offer with them when they told me I'd be doing door-to-door sales of kitchen knife sets. Because that sounds real safe. Check out the related posts above this thread and you'll find lots of reviews of them.
Old 04-18-2014 at 02:30 PM   #4
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

big scam company, dunno why mcmaster let them put job advertisement on OSCARPLUS. Maybe they paid the school money?
Old 04-18-2014 at 04:28 PM   #5
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Any company that excessively advertises for job postings is probably a scam company, especially in this case where the whole job is door to door sales.

As for how this particular company made its way into OSCARPLUS...its the fault of the idiots at Mac who authorized their job posting.
Old 04-18-2014 at 11:20 PM   #6
MimeMime

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
I turned down an offer with them when they told me I'd be doing door-to-door sales of kitchen knife sets. Because that sounds real safe. Check out the related posts above this thread and you'll find lots of reviews of them.

hahaha, was it those Cutco Knives?

And yeah, Vector is pretty much like a pyramid scheme but not exactly one because there is actually a product that is getting sold. They call it multi-level marketing.

Overall I would not recommend doing this.
Old 04-19-2014 at 09:20 AM   #7
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

My friend worked for them a few years ago. It was a sales job and she worked selling kitchen knifes. She had to work through her own contacts and visit them at their homes doing a demo and explaining the product.

I dont think they gave her any leads (i may be wrong) so she just had to work through friends and family to get names and contacts.

She did get paid for the visits she made, even if their was no sale. and im 99% sure it's commission based other than that.

That's what they call sales/marketing intern
Old 04-28-2014 at 07:18 AM   #8
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 04-28-2014 at 09:18 AM   #9
pizzaslice

Liked: 3 Times

Don't do it! I got offered a job by them too, it's not what you think it is.

The job isn't related to marketing at all, it's more of a sales job. The reason that they are always hiring is because no one really wants to work for them.
Basically they tell you that you have to go door to door to sell knives by a company called CUTCO, but the catch is that they make you buy the set of knives to display to customers. It's like a hundred dollars or something like that. A job that is hiring shouldn't make their employees have to buy their product.

Also the amount of money you make is based on how much you sell, don't believe what they tell you about having a set base hourly rate. Most end up not being able to sell anything, so they quit and then they are in debt for the knives that they had to purchase.

Don't do it, trust me you'll be saving yourself time, stress, and money in the long run.
Old 06-19-2014 at 11:30 AM   #10
sephora

Liked: 0 Times

I didn't really hear great things about it.
I got offered the job but......

You get money based on appointments and commission. For each appointment you book with a customer, and give a presentation on Knives, you would get $15. It doesn't seem that hard but after you're done with getting appointments with close relatives/friends, your chances to getting one with a stranger is very slim. Also you get 10% commission, and the knives are expensiveeee, basically you get $50 if you sell a knife set.
But realistically not many people are looking for expensive cutlery sets, so your target audience range is severely limited.
You have to put in more effort than you receive. Both more time and more money than you could get at another job.