MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another vent on Mac's administration drew4008 Academics 44 08-25-2010 07:05 PM
Solar Help deone Academics 1 07-19-2010 03:01 PM
Solar Help Help Help Help mcmaster0812 Academics 8 06-09-2010 10:55 PM
Laptop skin moops Computers & Tech 7 12-20-2009 12:47 AM
Solar Pay919 Academics 830 08-23-2009 02:24 AM

Vent: SOLAR never ceases to get under my skin...

Old 08-17-2010 at 01:52 AM   #1
logans

Liked: 3 Times

Vent: SOLAR never ceases to get under my skin...
<rant>
So I posted on a thread of someone wondering what the chances of getting into a Lock (Chem) core was, and I wished him luck saying its bloody hard. The next day I see a reply saying at 6am the person managed to get into Lock's core and that there were still seats available. Being up the ENTIRE night 2 nights ago, and staying up late last night, I couldnt help sleep til 10. So when I wake up, I decide to take a whack at SOLAR. Fueled by the hopeful reply of MULTIPLE seats open in Lock's core, I log in to to see that its full. Fine with me, wasn't expecting a miracle. After being at a family event all day, I got home 2 hours ago. Finish my Science 1A00, and decide to strap myself down for the rest of the night logged in to MUGSI. After 2 hours of frantic "modify, undo, modify undo" x100000 times, I get a little message saying "you are about to reach the maximum activity limit on SOLAR". Not only does SOLAR have a ridiculous limit to how many students can get it at once, theres a limit to how much "activity" you can have on it? Figuring exiting SOLAR and going back on resets this "activity" tracker, I go back to my "C01 *check C04, full*, C02 *check C04, full*"x100000 times when I get the SOLAR RED SCREEN OF DEATH. This time it wasn't the "max log on" error, or the "unsupported browser activity" error, or the "45 minute time limit" error. No, this was an error message unlike any I have even seen before.

"You have been suspended from using SOLAR due to over usage within a SOLAR session. You will be blocked from using SOLAR again until AUG 17 2010 07:27"

Suspended. Suspended! SUSPENDED!?!? AND FOR 5 HOURS?!?! That's 5 hours I was ready to commit to button pushing. I pushed a button like every 3 seconds, and for those who watch LOST I'd take once every 108 minutes any day! Something tells me i'm going to wake up to a post on MI, or an email from a friend, saying Lock's core opened up some time between now and "07:27"...

For all you "Pics or it didn't happen" folks out there, screenie is attached.

Not only is this me venting about how I can atleast get some sleep for 5 hours, take this as a lesson to all you first years, upper years, and prospective mac students who are passionately pursuing a course or section: SOLAR WILL FIND A WAY TO SCREW YOU OVER.

PS: If any of you kind, gentle souls manage to score a seat in CHEM 1A03 TERM 1 DAY C04 just to see how hard it really is, how about we strike up a deal and you pass that seat over to me?

PPS: If any one is looking to drop CHEM 1A03 TERM 1 DAY C04, let me know, I'll trade C01 for it.
</rant>

EDIT:
So, with fingers crossed, I hoped SOLAR forgot it suspended me and tried to get back in. Reason #129284052 for why we should never have robots: They NEVER forget. Check the other screenie to see how they keep me out of SOLAR...heretics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pics or it didnt happen.JPG (57.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg gahhhh.JPG (87.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by logans : 08-17-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2010 at 01:58 AM   #2
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

ahahahahahhahahahahah a tooo funny, sucks though if u really want locke just go to her core n e wayz, but if its full n ur takin someone elses seat. u shuld leave but there shuldnt be a problem
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:01 AM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

An activity tracker is bullshit. Thankfully I've yet to run into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logans View Post
For all you "Pics or it didn't happen" folks out there, screenie is attached.
And yet you didn't take into account other internet memes like "this looks shooped" >_>
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:03 AM   #4
logans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
ahahahahahhahahahahah a tooo funny, sucks though if u really want locke just go to her core n e wayz, but if its full n ur takin someone elses seat. u shuld leave but there shuldnt be a problem
yeah thats always an option, already have my schedual set to do that. thing is, i'd still have to go to the core i'm enrolled in to write texts/quizzes and stuff, so i'm not really down to go to the same class twice. besides, dumont sounds decent, but locke's core makes my timetable "complete"
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:06 AM   #5
logans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
An activity tracker is bullshit. Thankfully I've yet to run into it.
And yet you didn't take into account other internet memes like "this looks shooped" >_>
lol alteast now you know what ur up against!

and PHOTOSHOPPED?!?! NO WAY, THE SHADOWS ARE PERFECT! and this definitely isnt like the scene from never back down when... (geekologie reference, sure someone knows the heck im ranting about)

i still havent closed the original dialogue box... im THAT traumatized...
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:09 AM   #6
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logans View Post
yeah thats always an option, already have my schedual set to do that. thing is, i'd still have to go to the core i'm enrolled in to write texts/quizzes and stuff, so i'm not really down to go to the same class twice. besides, dumont sounds decent, but locke's core makes my timetable "complete"
the only thing i remeber was like iclicker quizzes and they were worth like 2% overall n i got them wrongn e wayz so it really doesnt matter too much and u dont write chem midterms inclass ever
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:17 AM   #7
logans

i think we should have a sticky with all the possible errors SOLAR can throw at us at any give time, and like ways to avoid/recover from them.

chad, your thoughts?
actually guess that wouldn't work, where would we get the screenies from?

here's one my friend just ran into just now: says SOLAR ran into technical difficulties and that he should call tech support to resolve the issue. too bad the lines wont be open for like 6 hours... is this their new way of freeing up spots on SOLAR? guess we cant say theyre not doing anything about the 250 person limit now xD

Last edited by logans : 08-17-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:19 AM   #8
logans

Quote:
the only thing i remeber was like iclicker quizzes and they were worth like 2% overall n i got them wrongn e wayz so it really doesnt matter too much and u dont write chem midterms inclass ever
well aint that convenient. i'll sit in on a lecture or two, but chances are i'll be fine with dumont. iclicker quizzes... any way to use google to find the answer durring those? lol
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:20 AM   #9
Qadd

Sajaan, my dear old friend, you know as well as I that I am in a VERY similar situation to yours. I NEED MY SLEEP!!! I'm in core 2 for chem 1a03 and want core 4...and to make it worse, i'm outside of canada in a country with VERY VERY slow internet speeds. And now, I can't log into solar because it's telling me to contact technical support. GADOSHH!!!! I'm in another country, AND i think it's 3:15 now in hamilton -____-. So now solar doesn't work and i'm stuck with my core. LAME. Dear Solar, IHY!!! and yes, it's personal!

BTW, if anyone is wanting to switch core 4 for core 2, I'm available =)

and i'm really sorry to hear about yourlack of sleep sajaan, hopefully the mcamster experience will help lessen the pain (any upper years wanna confirm this? LOLL)

logans likes this.
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:22 AM   #10
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

u will be fine, other profs can teach chem lol... no there no way to google it n search it up cuz u have like 2 min to complete the quiz. just try n pay attention in class n u shuld be fine...although its stupid on their part for makin almost all chem cores at 8:30 last year
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:24 AM   #11
Qadd

Funny how a simple application/software/whatever solar is can cause so much grief, agony, torment, anger, and the tendency to develop insomnia for so many mac students....
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:26 AM   #12
Qadd

Quote:
u will be fine, other profs can teach chem lol... no there no way to google it n search it up cuz u have like 2 min to complete the quiz. just try n pay attention in class n u shuld be fine...although its stupid on their part for makin almost all chem cores at 8:30 last year
I'm not really looking for prof (ok i lied, i sort of am), but i'm wayy more concerned about the timing
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:41 AM   #13
Qadd

ok, image kinda failed...but it's the thought that counts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wantedposter.jpg (27.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:51 AM   #14
X!Bilet

Liked: 4 Times

wow guys honestly just show up to locks section. No one will ever know, there is like 500-600 ppl in your section, they cannot take attendance. But ya lock was a really good chem professor.
Old 08-17-2010 at 02:56 AM   #15
logans

Lol it's not jst getting in to lockes section, but I've got a timetable conflict that I need to get into another course to resolve. Can't do that without getting into solar. What started off as a crimeless vent turned into a two first years' war on solar. Sorry MI, lol