MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio 1A03 Skills Labs Angoose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-15-2010 04:29 PM
MCAT Online Student-Run Website for Verbal and Writing Sections kadhia Academics 3 07-23-2009 06:50 PM

Verbal & Writing Skills

Old 08-09-2012 at 09:02 PM   #1
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

Verbal & Writing Skills
I'm a pretty quiet person & I'm just worried that since I don't speak a lot, I'm not able to communicate my thoughts as effectively during interviews or even when talking with friends. I'm starting to lose my touch in writing as well. I don't know how to implement big words into my speech or writing.

It all sounds a bit dumb, lol.. but do you have any suggestions for improvement?
Old 08-09-2012 at 09:38 PM   #2
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Join a club or something. Just get out and meet new people, make new friends, do something.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 08-09-2012 at 09:42 PM   #3
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Come back to Chat. I don't do a lot/any writing and like you, I barely do any talking irl, but it's easy to establish what kind of communicator you are since you really don't have to hold back or be concerned with what others think of you. Once you're comfortable with who you are online, then you can make that transition to become that person in real life.

...It sounds kinda weird, but it worked for me. /shrug

-Ish- likes this.
Old 08-09-2012 at 09:43 PM   #4
kschwab

Liked: 7 Times

You don't have to use big words to write well, just keep practising and you will see the improvement. Go to club fest in Sept. and join a group that requires a lot of interaction
Old 08-09-2012 at 09:48 PM   #5
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times

I think reading a variety of books is one of the best ways to improve your vocabulary and grasp of language. Plus it's fun Try classics, fiction, non-fiction, and topics that interest you. You should think about new words and phrases; maybe even try writing something on your own time for practise.

Listening to discussions online (podcasts, youtube) or tv/radio shows might help with the conversation/verbal skills.

-Ish- says thanks to rkb12 for this post.
Old 08-11-2012 at 12:26 PM   #6
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

I've heard good things about Toastmasters, which is a public speaking/speechcraft/confidence/leadership club. They will likely have a booth set up during clubsfest, wouldn't hurt to stop by if you've got the time.

They meet every Wednesday night in the medical building I believe.

-Ish- says thanks to Incognitus for this post.
Old 08-11-2012 at 02:08 PM   #7
Galanthus
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

I won't really comment on the writing skills cause it's been already mentioned and the ideas above are pretty good but I do have something for communication and verbal skills.

--> Join a club as its been said it'll be very helpful!

--> Ummmm.....there's also a way that kinda worked for me. It's kinda lame but I liked it. I went to Dollar store and bought a bag of plastic jewels (It could be anything you like though, like marbles for example) and a small chiffon bag that looks like those money bags that has two small loose ropes that you pull at each end and can be tied into a knot. Here's what you do, you need to gather your courage though, because in order to improve your communication you need to experience it ^^

Each time you talk to someone whether you know them or not or help someone out, you add a jewel to your bag, but here's the trick you try to make the discussion interesting and each time you try to make it longer, even when you're helping someone you try to talk to them. Each time the discussion will get longer you'll talk more which will improve your communication skills.

It actually worked with me while talking to strangers, I just tie this small jewel bag into my bigger bag and each time I pull a jewel and put it in. When I get home I have this sense of satisfaction that I accomplished something. Of course at the beginning it won't be much but you'll feel so happy while having even one jewel in it ^-^

--> Another method would be volunteering in something that has to do with kids or seniors. Kids are always nice to talk to and they'll force you to talk even longer.
Seniors are also easy to talk to and sometimes even fun, which is ironic but they enjoy more openness than we do because they're in a stage of life that they gotta take it easy. And they do say a lot of fun stories lol

Now, people are different but each time you get yourself out there and talk you'll know how to communicate differently with people and when to stop even giving the effort to talk with someone who doesn't seem willing to. Sometimes you might get hurt but without having a little bit of hardships you won't learn properly right? You'll also start grasping some words that you haven't heard of before while talking to people, and it's never wrong to ask what it means but if you're shy to, check it in the dictionary on your cellphone or computer.

--> Also when I'm on the internet and have a difficult time expressing my feelings I use an emoticon or and animated gif (which I love so much!) Like this one for example
It's not really the best in terms of words but it does the trick lol

That's all that comes in mind I guess, wish you best of luck :')
And keep trying ^-^

-Ish- says thanks to Galanthus for this post.

-Ish- likes this.
Old 08-11-2012 at 02:54 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Also, Careers and Co-Op Services have mock interviews to get you used to interviews and it also allows you to see how you talk and act during the interview. I found it pretty helpful when I used the service.

-Ish- says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-11-2012 at 04:38 PM   #9
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

The title made me think of the MCATs so I'll suggest that if you want to improve your writing skills, write an MCAT essay from one of the hundreds of prompts given here https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi... leitems.html

I've seen quite a few blogs that do just that, even when the blogger isn't taking their MCAT (http://chocolatestrawberry8. blogspot.ca/)

-Ish- says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 08-12-2012 at 06:52 PM   #10
-Ish-

Awesome advice everyone! I didn't think I'd get such a wide range of ideas - all quite doable & interesting. I'm feeling a bit more encouraged just by reading. Thank-you..
I think I'm gonna try to give them all a try.. lol & see which ones I can stick to.
Old 08-13-2012 at 07:41 PM   #11
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

In response to the MCAT essay idea, if you'd like to work on verbal communication, grab a friend and an essay prompt and debate them. One of you take the Thesis prompt (explain the meaning of the statement), the other taking the Anti-thesis stance (counter the idea).

This is great speaking practice and also develops the mind if you ever do intend to write the MCAT.
Old 08-13-2012 at 07:52 PM   #12
-Ish-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitus View Post
In response to the MCAT essay idea, if you'd like to work on verbal communication, grab a friend and an essay prompt and debate them. One of you take the Thesis prompt (explain the meaning of the statement), the other taking the Anti-thesis stance (counter the idea).

This is great speaking practice and also develops the mind if you ever do intend to write the MCAT.
I had thought of that. But, I'm not really someone that can keep a conversation going - I quickly fall into the awkward silence, lol. I can't think of reasons to back my points with, quick enough. Each point takes around 5 mins to think out & to put it in words another 5. Maybe if I do it once a week, it'll build my confidence. Thanks Incognitus.
Old 08-13-2012 at 07:57 PM   #13
redstarr37

Liked: 9 Times

Ya everyone basically has the right idea. As with anything all it takes is practice. Just remember to go at your own speed. You will also have to endure. I was pretty much like you in first year. I did the same thing going to clubs and trying to talk a bit more. I didn't get very far first year but I did the same thing the year after and I'm slowly improving. You just have to remember change does not happen overnight so don't get discouraged. In the words of Dori, "Just keep swimming" ;P. If you want proof I was able to get my first job as a GRS (basically check people in at rez) and I'll also be a community advisor this year (not sure how I pulled that one, lol).

"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change"

-Ish- likes this.