MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
on the verge of a thin red line and no silver lining without any proof of pudding. jntyrhds Academics 6 01-01-2012 02:01 PM

on the verge of crying

Members have rated post #400596 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 05-02-2014 at 10:26 AM   #16
lsparrow1

Liked: 10 Times

I think you need to reevaluate your goals, and I don't mean that in a harsh way. It is a big shock coming from high school to university, and sometimes it can take more than a semester to adapt to the differences and find out which study method works best for you.

For now, I would suggest to set more short term goals. Do your best to upgrade whichever classes you plan to re-do, and make sure you really step up your game for second year. This means putting not only more time and effort into your studies, but also learning HOW to study. More hours of studying isn't always better. You need to find out which method works best for you. If you can accomplish the short term goal of upgrading your classes to the desired grade, you can then focus on what you want to do next. You may find that your plans/interests regarding postgrad will change anyway.

My last suggestion is to take classes you are truly interested in. If you are truly engaged and interested in the material, it will be much easier to retain the information.
Old 05-02-2014 at 10:55 AM   #17
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

There are some med schools that only look at the last 2 (or 3?) years of undergrad, so its not gg yet. I don't know why people are telling you its all over, because while it is difficult it is still possible to turn things around.

Last edited by Phoneup : 05-02-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2014 at 11:47 AM   #18
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneup View Post
There are some med schools that only look at the last 2 (or 3?) years of undergrad, so its not gg yet. I don't know why people are telling you its all over, because while it is difficult is is still possible to turn things around.
The chance of someone instantly becoming a top tier student is very very low. sabonator couldn't make it though based on highschool marks. Now in University, sabonator still couldn't make it. The most likely odd is that sabonator will never be a doctor. We all can dream, lets leave that to when we are asleep and not in the forum.
Old 05-02-2014 at 11:55 AM   #19
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
I have close to an 11 and I dare not to even think I will get into law.
Just wanted to note that it's definitely possible for you to get into law with an almost 11 if your LSAT and extracirriculars are good enough. Source: Know a bunch of law students.
Old 05-02-2014 at 12:22 PM   #20
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLyBilly View Post
The chance of someone instantly becoming a top tier student is very very low. sabonator couldn't make it though based on highschool marks. Now in University, sabonator still couldn't make it. The most likely odd is that sabonator will never be a doctor. We all can dream, lets leave that to when we are asleep and not in the forum.
Couldnt agree more. Pick another career path OP. Whether it be your work ethic, interest in programs, lack of discipline, etc., you just dont seem to be making the cut at the university level. There are plenty of career opportunities that are available to you in the college stream of education. Perhaps look into something more along those lines.
Old 05-02-2014 at 12:24 PM   #21
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
I have close to an 11 and I dare not to even think I will get into law.
Take a look at law school requirements. Most law schools (except U of T) will certainly accept you with an A-range average, even with mediocre LSAT scores. Some will accept you even if your average is in the high B+ range as long as you have high LSAT scores and work experience, volunteer, good reference letters, etc.

Windsor's 2012/2013 class had an average GPA of 3.3 and an average LSAT score of 159.
Old 05-02-2014 at 12:28 PM   #22
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

you dont need to pick another career path yet. if you do well every year from now on, you will be competitive in terms of gpa for many med schools. you could always do a 5th year if you want 4 years of high gpa anyways.
Old 05-02-2014 at 01:04 PM   #23
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLyBilly View Post
Doh, I'm not saying she'll turn things around overnight. From what I read so far the problem seems to be not applying herself. So if she recognizes her mistakes and is truly willing to apply herself, then things should change---maybe not A's right away in second year but there should be a significant improvement in grades.

It's absolutely silly to tell someone it's all over based on one year of undergrad. And please don't mention high school marks. The grade inflation in ON is so ridiculous that HS marks should not matter at all in this case.
Old 05-02-2014 at 01:29 PM   #24
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

I have a friend who has a GPA that's not in the double digits and she realized that medical school in Canada was not possible so she realistically considered schools outside of Canada. She applied to schools in the Caribbean and she got an interview. From what she tells me, one of her cousins went to Caribbean and came back to Ontario through a lengthy process and he's working at a clinic in Hamilton. Given this information, my friend decided to try it out.

Despite low marks, she decided to take the shot. She is still waiting to hear back and is in the process of submitting her final marks. If being a physician is your dream, then there is no stopping you. Don't give up and be realistic. It's not possible for an athlete to go to the Olympics without a lot of hard work and dedication even during rough times. I encourage you to talk to more people and you would be surprised that not everyone in professional schools were perfect. I know a pharmacist who barely passed one of her courses and it was a required course for the pharmacy yet she still got into the program in Ontario. Don't lose hope yet and consider your motivation for your dreams and use that to help you shape your drive to move on.

I recall a researcher who said what he looks for is exactly what you are going through. He wanted to see students talk about their lowest points and what they learned from that to move on. He once took in a student with very low marks; he gave her a chance when he heard her say that she wanted to finish university despite the low marks since she felt obliged to. Her dedication to move on surprised him and he took her into his research lab.

So use this as an opportunity to "wow" future employers on how you overcame this obstacle. It will take time and a lot of reflection but if you really want to go to medical school, it might be a vital and necessary step.

akikokoyoki, mmyry like this.
Old 05-02-2014 at 02:38 PM   #25
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneup View Post
The grade inflation in ON is so ridiculous that HS marks should not matter at all in this case.
Inflation? So you saying sabonator's high school mark should be even lower when inflation is taken into calculation?
Old 05-02-2014 at 02:40 PM   #26
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post
I have a friend who has a GPA that's not in the double digits and she realized that medical school in Canada was not possible so she realistically considered schools outside of Canada. She applied to schools in the Caribbean and she got an interview. From what she tells me, one of her cousins went to Caribbean and came back to Ontario through a lengthy process and he's working at a clinic in Hamilton. Given this information, my friend decided to try it out.

Despite low marks, she decided to take the shot. She is still waiting to hear back and is in the process of submitting her final marks. If being a physician is your dream, then there is no stopping you. Don't give up and be realistic. It's not possible for an athlete to go to the Olympics without a lot of hard work and dedication even during rough times. I encourage you to talk to more people and you would be surprised that not everyone in professional schools were perfect. I know a pharmacist who barely passed one of her courses and it was a required course for the pharmacy yet she still got into the program in Ontario. Don't lose hope yet and consider your motivation for your dreams and use that to help you shape your drive to move on.

I recall a researcher who said what he looks for is exactly what you are going through. He wanted to see students talk about their lowest points and what they learned from that to move on. He once took in a student with very low marks; he gave her a chance when he heard her say that she wanted to finish university despite the low marks since she felt obliged to. Her dedication to move on surprised him and he took her into his research lab.

So use this as an opportunity to "wow" future employers on how you overcame this obstacle. It will take time and a lot of reflection but if you really want to go to medical school, it might be a vital and necessary step.
So basically, TLDR: If you have money, there is always a way to get what you want.

Caused I hope you know, the path you are suggesting cost a metric ton of wad.
Old 05-02-2014 at 03:14 PM   #27
speirac

Liked: 1 Time

I'm really sorry that you are struggling. I can relate as I took almost the same first year courses and missed the GPA cut off for acceptance into PNB by 0.1!! Don't get discouraged, it's probably the worst thing you can do even though it feels like the only thing you can do right now.
IMPORTANT-> Admission into the PNB program is changing. See link, pg. 15: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/pnb...NBhandbook.pdf
You no longer need a certain mark in 1X03 but still need at least a B- in 1XX3.
Enrolment in this pro gram is limited and p ossession of the 
published minimum req uirements does not gu arantee 
admission. Selection  is based on academic  achievement but 
requires, as a minimu m, completion of any  Level 1 program 
with a Cumulative Ave rage of at least 6.0  including: 
3 units     PSYCH 1XX 3 with a grade of at  least B‐ 
3 units     from BIOL OGY 1A03, 1M03, 1P03  or Grade 12 Bio U 
3 units     from MATH  1A03, 1LS3, 1M03

I thought first year was difficult. Then I tried shadowing the PNB program in second year and now I have failed two classes. That means it's not for me and I'm accepting that. Please explore all of your options! PNB is not the only way to get into Med School. I have focused my career on Social Work because I fell in love with it. I would recommend trying out some more psych courses or even health sci courses and see what intrigues you the most. Most people excel in things that interest them!
If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask...I'm very experienced in bouncing around from career path to career path
Old 05-02-2014 at 03:17 PM   #28
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post

Ok so coming back down to reality here... you are comparing a potential olympic athlete to this situation??? Do you even realize how inapplicable that comparison is to the OP's situation???
An athlete in training for the olympics is typically an above average to elite athlete that is on the cusp of breaking through into the national team. This OP is pulling of what looks like at best a c- average. If you want to even try making an athlete comparison, a more relative metaphor would have been that the OP's situation is like the overweight, 5' 2" white guy playing ball at the YMCA on weekends wants to be in the NBA.
Like you advice is absolutely ridiculous and leads me to think you really havent considered any of the facts given by the OP in their posts.
You knew a pharmacist who barely passed ONE of her courses? This OP is barely passing HALF of their courses. Like if you are going to try giving honest advice, at least consider the circumstances before you give them rainbows and gum drops spiel.
Old 05-02-2014 at 06:11 PM   #29
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Also, pharmacy is way less competitive than med school.

Like I said before, if there's a med school in Ontario that doesn't look at first-year marks, AND the OP can pull a 180 with their grades, then med school is still possible, but if we're being realistic, based on the history they've given, it doesn't sound like that would be achievable for them. So yes, it's not flat-out impossible, but you also need to consider what is realistic.

The worst thing you can do is to think that you really like/are good at one thing, and keep going for it and going for it when you fail over and over. At some point, you have to take a hard look at your strengths, and they might not be what you originally thought. If you just keep doing the wrong thing and failing at it, you'll start to feel pretty awful about yourself, which won't help matters.
Old 05-02-2014 at 07:15 PM   #30
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
So yes, it's not flat-out impossible, but you also need to consider what is realistic... The worst thing you can do is to think that you really like/are good at one thing, and keep going for it and going for it when you fail over and over... If you just keep doing the wrong thing and failing at it, you'll start to feel pretty awful about yourself, which won't help matters.
sounds like the only thing making OP feel awful right now is you. Hope is the one things that keeps us going. If everyone in the world thought "realistically", we would still be living in an age of slavery and a time where women have no rights.
If you want to let your fears of rejection keep you from having hope and striving to achieve your best, that's fine, but don't spread your negativity onto everyone else.