MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carpool: Toronto to Brantford, or Toronto to Kitchener/Cambridge Melanieee General Discussion 0 07-23-2012 03:08 PM
Daily game Nov 21 : Epic Rail Chad Daily Game 0 11-21-2011 04:08 AM
MSU to Host Light Rail Transit Open House finklej MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-18-2011 03:27 PM
Light Rail Transit (LRT) Info Session temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-30-2008 03:27 PM

Via rail - toronto to vancouver

Old 07-24-2012 at 04:49 AM   #1
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

Via rail - toronto to vancouver
Hi,

So I'm thinking of taking a train from Toronto to Vancouver instead of taking a flight. I know it's a long journey, but I've always wanted to do it! & plus I'm getting a really cheap economy class ticket. Now, the question is.. how comfortable is the journey? & I'd appreciate any other good/bad experiences with VIA rail.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2012 at 08:39 PM   #2
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

this might sound dumb.. but is it economy as in just a seat the whole way (no cabin/bed?).. if so, that might be uncomfortable. 4 hours on via starts to get uncomfortable for me, i wouldnt want to go for like 3 days! if youre getting a cabin though thatd be awesome. ive only taken via in the corridor (not across canada or anything) but ive loved all my experiences so far, my only complaints are the price increases and inconvenient departure times haha!
Old 07-24-2012 at 08:43 PM   #3
kevin999
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

the economy class would be similar to flying in a plane(you basically have a chair to sit on)
You won't have your own cabin so it could get uncomfortable.
But you will get to seem some pretty nice scenery if you get a window seat.
Old 07-24-2012 at 08:46 PM   #4
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishk33 View Post
Hi,

So I'm thinking of taking a train from Toronto to Vancouver instead of taking a flight. I know it's a long journey, but I've always wanted to do it! & plus I'm getting a really cheap economy class ticket. Now, the question is.. how comfortable is the journey? & I'd appreciate any other good/bad experiences with VIA rail.

Thanks
If you don't mind me asking, how much is it costing you?
Old 07-24-2012 at 11:42 PM   #5
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Hi! I did the same trip on a VIA train (The Canadian) about three years ago, but I would expect it to be the same if not similar. If your not in a rush to get to Vancouver then train is the way to go imo. The pros greatly outweigh the cons!

We also traveled economy class the whole way, BUT this does not mean you are restricted to your seat! There is a special viewing cabin every few cars which you have access to. This cabin has a glass roof and is elevated above the other cars so you have an pretty impressive view all around you. Although the seats aren't as comfortable as your regular seats there fine to stay in for a few hours and to check out the scenery (which there is plenty of btw). There is also a VIA worker in the cabin explaining some history and points out places of interest stuff like that so you learn a few things as you travel across Canada. There is also a sort of 'games' cabin where they have tables for board games and stuff like that. You also have access to the dining cabin, but as you would expect its crazy expensive (bison burger is epic if you do try it out). Anyways as for your seats they aren't too bad actually. I didn't have too much trouble sleeping in them for 3 nights. They recline back quite a bit and there is plenty of leg room. They also have plugs only at the ends of each cabin so get a seat at the end. Then you can bring your laptop with movies/tvshows if you do get bored. Also, the train does stop at a lot of locations sometimes in the middle of the woods (cottage supplies) for a few minutes, to a few hours in certain cities such as Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, and Jasper. So you will get plenty of opportunities to get off the train and stretch out or even if there is enough time to go out into the city!

As for the cons, VIA imo is notoriously bad for not being on schedule. Going to Vancouver we were delayed 12 hours and then returning back to Toronto we were delayed 24 hours. We did get free McDonalds and a reimbursement but it is still kind of frustrating. This has been consistent with going to Quebec City although not a huge delay maybe 30 mins or so, but is has happened every time I've traveled with them. Bad luck maybe? Also, bring your own food/snacks because as you would expect it's pretty expensive (I survived on the overpriced Mr. Noodle cups lol never again....).

Anyways, it was a fun experience! I got to see quite a bit of Canada!

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 07-25-2012 at 12:01 AM.

ishk33 says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 07-25-2012 at 03:32 AM   #6
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by apples12 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much is it costing you?

It's about $223 one way!
Old 07-26-2012 at 01:57 AM   #7
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishk33 View Post
It's about $223 one way!
Wow that sounds amazing! How did you get it at that price? I say, go for it. It'll be a good experience! I've always wanted to do this. Isn't it usually more than $600? :o
Old 07-26-2012 at 07:31 AM   #8
TheCrucible

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by apples12 View Post
Wow that sounds amazing! How did you get it at that price? I say, go for it. It'll be a good experience! I've always wanted to do this. Isn't it usually more than $600? :o
They have Express Deals on their website (i.e. for the Toronto-Vancouver trip, you can get Economy for $200 and Sleeper Plus Cabin for $825)

apples12 says thanks to TheCrucible for this post.
Old 07-26-2012 at 10:34 AM   #9
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
They have Express Deals on their website (i.e. for the Toronto-Vancouver trip, you can get Economy for $200 and Sleeper Plus Cabin for $825)
Out of curiosity, where did you find this? I just looked it up and a round trip came to $1200...
Old 07-26-2012 at 11:08 AM   #10
TheCrucible

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Out of curiosity, where did you find this? I just looked it up and a round trip came to $1200...
On the homepage header menu, click on "Fares" --> Express Deals

apples12, Snowman all say thanks to TheCrucible for this post.
Old 07-26-2012 at 11:29 AM   #11
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
On the homepage header menu, click on "Fares" --> Express Deals
Those are actually quite interesting. I may look into that for reading week in the spring. It is much cheaper than I thought
Old 07-26-2012 at 12:57 PM   #12
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Took the bus from Toronto to Calgary then Calgary to LA on Greyhound in 2 weeks this summer and it was awesome. Much more rewarding than flying it really feels like you've covered so much ground. Sleeping was quite easy as well surprisingly.