MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Move-In Route? oxelhs Residence & Housing 8 09-04-2010 10:43 AM
MSU Survey on the Proposed Hamilton Stadium Sites finklej MacInsiders Announcements 3 08-03-2010 09:45 AM
A Boys-only Grade School Proposed for Toronto Taunton General Discussion 29 10-21-2009 10:54 PM
Virtual Section Matthew K General Discussion 2 06-11-2009 11:43 PM
Residence Virtual Tours Chad Residence & Off-Campus Living 0 05-14-2008 09:06 AM

Virtual tour of proposed LRT (B-Line route)

Old 01-26-2011 at 07:13 PM   #1
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Virtual tour of proposed LRT (B-Line route)
Original reaction ->

I doubt this will ever get approved since it looks like a waste of money (which Hamilton wouldn't even have after making the new stadium) and requires too much work for just one bus route (even though I would love it since I spend ~2 hours a day on the beeline). Also, downtown Hamilton would never ever look that nice. ever.

P.S. I hope you all raised your volume to the max and then felt stupid when you realized the video doesn't have sound

RyanC says thanks to ikantsepll for this post.
Old 01-26-2011 at 07:27 PM   #2
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

someone needs to make this into a cs map

Old 01-26-2011 at 07:31 PM   #3
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Even if it does finish, I doubt it would be completed until most of us are done our studies.
Old 01-26-2011 at 07:35 PM   #4
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

Looks like its going to cause a massive amount of traffic buildup....
Old 01-26-2011 at 07:44 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

This is my heaven.

I think it will get done - but it's going to cost a lot of money, and it's going to take a hell of a long time. It took months and months just to get the electronic things on the busses to announce the stops. This will take FOREVER.
Old 01-26-2011 at 07:56 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstevenson View Post
Looks like its going to cause a massive amount of traffic buildup....
One of the on-ramps to the 40-whatever was shut one day and downtown basically stopped. LOL

p.s. The simulated Jackson Square did not have enough bums and crazies.
Old 01-26-2011 at 08:38 PM   #7
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Very sexy, I'll make most use of it if I decide to live here after graduating.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 01-26-2011 at 08:52 PM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Very sexy, I'll make most use of it if I decide to live here after graduating.

LOL. You're funny. Ever thought about doing comedy professionally?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-26-2011 at 09:24 PM   #9
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Not really a waste of money when you considering the other option to handle the growing ridership is doing the same thing with buses, which while less expensive initially, has higher per passenger operating costs, less ridership, shorter vehicle lives (buses last about half as long as LRT vehicles), and sees less local redevelopment.

And of course when you look at operating costs, using electric vehicles only looks better the more expensive oil becomes. (What about electric buses? Many of the same problems as buses, while adding the cost of the wiring (and wiring which is actually more complex than that for the LRT))

Hamilton had the chance about 30 years ago to have something similar to the Skytrain in Vancouver, or the Scarborough RT in Toronto built largely (or it might have been entirely, I'd have to check) at the Province's expense as a demonstration of the technology (which was developed by UTDC (a crown corporation), which also built the Toronto Streetcars (which were originally meant to also run the Scarborough RT before it was redesigned to use ICTS technology), and was sold to Bombardier and became the basis of their Rapid Transit division). Of course we turned this opportunity down because we feared what the operating costs would look like. If it happens again, I'm leaving this poohole and never coming back.

And yes, I'm aware that the fact I didn't need to look anything up to write this post proves I am both a transit nerd, and have no life.

ikantsepll, Tailsnake all say thanks to arathbon for this post.

dsahota likes this.
Old 01-26-2011 at 09:36 PM   #10
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Also about the traffic buildup. King Street is already a rather peculiar road. I've read staff reports that only three lanes are currently used effectively due to huge underutilization of the narrow curve lanes. Staff determined that with the way the road system was set up meant that there were 2 or 3 (I can't remember the exact number) extra westbound lanes compared to eastbound lanes, which is why the city has never signed onto any plans to put rapid transit on Main street or to convert it to two way, while they were fine before rapid transit, agreeing to make King two-way through downtown, and in fact years ago reduced it to two lanes through the International Village area.

This also assumes that people maintain the same traffic patterns. There is ample anecdotal support for believing that the majority of people who drive from the east end to the west end (which make up a significant portion of the east-west lower city traffic) still take surface streets, when often it is faster to travel either RHVP-QEW-403, or RHVP-Linc-403. It is conceivable that if a few lanes were removed through the lower city, they'd actually get around to changing their driving patterns.

I remember the doom and gloom about two way conversions of James and John. Overall it only slowed the traffic down by about two minutes and business hasn't suffered, mainly due to through traffic taking alternate routes.

ikantsepll says thanks to arathbon for this post.
Old 01-26-2011 at 09:46 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I will be long gone and out of Hamilton by the time such a project even starts -__-. So so cool though!

ikantsepll likes this.
Old 01-26-2011 at 10:41 PM   #12
MohitB

Liked: 3 Times

Man even virtual reality Hamilton looks like a crappy place to live in.
Old 01-27-2011 at 01:27 AM   #13
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Lol, what a joke.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Farid.
Old 01-27-2011 at 07:49 AM   #14
JLG 15

Liked: 0 Times

I think this is a good Idea. I live in St.Catharines and our buses have only 1 or 2 people on it at a time unless the bus is coming from Brock.
Old 01-27-2011 at 11:12 AM   #15
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Please tell me we can learn something from the mistakes of the TTC...