MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Rice is not a side-dish (I): Everyday Stir-fry! lilchoconut Recipes 0 08-07-2009 04:38 PM
Warrior Rice Bowl temara.brown Recipes 1 07-15-2009 06:10 PM
Home-style Fried Rice lilchoconut Recipes 2 06-18-2009 09:19 PM

Vocabulary and Rice

Vocabulary and Rice
Written By Danielle Lorenz

It is an understatement to say that hunger is a global issue for this day in age. As children we were told this, and it infiltrates school curricula at even the elementary level. We are bombarded with people asking for donations through television, radio, internet and in print. As university students, although (many) of us feel compelled to help those who are less fortunate, we simply are unable to do so because of the demands of tuition. So what can we do?

Increase your vocabulary. What? Yes, you read that correctly. Increase your vocabulary.

Freerice, which has a partnership with the World Food Program, have developed a vocabulary game that donates rice grains for each correct answer. There are fifty levels in all; and for every three words you get right consecutively, you increase your level. There are words appropriate for those learning English, as well as the esteemed in academia. At present, I’m at level thirty-eight. Yay me.

As a university student, the game has obvious benefits. You will be able to use more complex language in essays and assignments, and can articulate your thoughts in a more direct way. This is especially advantageous if you are thinking of pursuing graduate studies. Of course if you are overlooking the altruistic benefits, this is the only reason to do this.

The rice that is donated really makes a difference in the life of who receives it. Just think about it – this could literally be the distinction between life and death for some people. And it doesn’t even cost you anything. Perfect for the university budget.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post

Article Tools