MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Farmstand Volunteering Farmstand Body & Food 0 05-23-2011 12:14 PM
Starting Today McMaster ER Closed to Adults - 18 and older must go to other Hospitals Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 04-09-2011 10:43 AM
Volunteering off-campus kevcom General Discussion 9 02-14-2011 02:14 PM
Volunteering joannasmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 07-19-2009 12:24 AM

Volunteering at HHS hospitals in first year

Old 08-03-2011 at 06:06 PM   #1
RachDin

Liked: 0 Times

Volunteering at HHS hospitals in first year
Hey everyone!

I hope to be going to Mac next year and I really wanted to volunteer at one of the hospitals, ideally Mac's. I read online that the wait is like six months and from personal experience it took 9 months for me to get accepted with my local hospital.

In order to begin volunteering close to the start of first year, what time do you suggest I apply, as well as where? I have read some of the other threads but none really specified. Also, from those of you who volunteer there how do you enjoy it? I heard there are positions in the ER and OR too? I find that really exciting because as a youth volunteer we just serve meal trays and help the nurses.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011 at 06:23 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I don't really know how to answer your question, but Mac is a pretty big deal in terms of hospitals, so I would advise applying to multiple hostpitals, and not get your hopes up for one particular one..
Old 08-03-2011 at 06:57 PM   #3
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

if you want to volunteer at a hospital, mcmaster probably isnt the easiest way though it might be the most convenient. you can apply to volunteer at hamilton general or juravinski hospital (as well as the other hhs hospitals too). the reason i mentioned those two is because there is a shuttle bus that runs every weekday that can take you from mcmaster hospital to those hospitals in 20 min for free. so you waste 40 min on a commute but it beats not volunteering. also, you will get a much faster reply (and likely better position) at these other hospitals too. just something to consider!! good luck.

DMe3, RachDin all say thanks to yoni for this post.
Old 08-03-2011 at 08:50 PM   #4
xFLY

Liked: 13 Times

When I volunteered at my local hospital to complete my High school 40 community hours, it was mainly paperwork, patient lists and stocking supplies...pretty boring.

I'm also interested in what kind of duties you get to do. For example in the ER or OR.

Old 08-03-2011 at 09:05 PM   #5
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

PMed you about this

RachDin says thanks to Chandlerowns for this post.
Old 08-04-2011 at 12:44 AM   #6
mac-lover

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandlerowns View Post
PMed you about this
I'm interested too, do you mind sharing your experience? =)
Old 08-04-2011 at 01:55 AM   #7
bs92

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachDin View Post
Hey everyone!

I hope to be going to Mac next year and I really wanted to volunteer at one of the hospitals, ideally Mac's. I read online that the wait is like six months and from personal experience it took 9 months for me to get accepted with my local hospital.

In order to begin volunteering close to the start of first year, what time do you suggest I apply, as well as where? I have read some of the other threads but none really specified. Also, from those of you who volunteer there how do you enjoy it? I heard there are positions in the ER and OR too? I find that really exciting because as a youth volunteer we just serve meal trays and help the nurses.

Thanks!
I don't think it's necessary that the hospital you volunteer at is affiliated with HHS. What's more important is the experience you get and what you take away from it.

For example, I volunteered at St. Joseph's this past year and it was a great enjoyable experience because I wasn't confined to greeting people at the door or serving meal trays or something of that nature. There are a variety of positions available and I'm sure you'd find something that would interest you. I'd recommend you call them ASAP and sign up for interview (and then an orientation session). There, they'll introduce you to their program, update you on regulations and such, tell you about the positions that are available, etc.

A bonus is that St. Joe's is pretty easy to get to. It's just one bus ride from campus and a 5 minute walk from Main St.

Hope that helps
Old 08-04-2011 at 08:58 AM   #8
Johnny162

Liked: 16 Times

I agree with bs92, St Josephs is fairly easy to become affiliated with, and very easy to get to from anywhere the 51 university bus runs. They also have a variety of positions, however some require that you have been there longer and have built up trust and experience. I suggest that you get started early because it can be a bit of a process, to get going. there is general meeting, an interview, a group orientation, and a personal training session to get through, and that is once you have filled out all your applications with references, TB immunizations, etc. Its not hard to do but it can be time consuming.
Old 08-04-2011 at 10:10 AM   #9
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times

would it be impossible to get in with no experience in anything? :S
Old 08-04-2011 at 01:25 PM   #10
Johnny162

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMe3 View Post
would it be impossible to get in with no experience in anything? :S

Meaning that you have never worked or volunteered thus far in life?
Old 08-04-2011 at 05:55 PM   #11
RachDin

Liked: 0 Times

so should I apply in may before attending school in september?
Old 08-04-2011 at 06:25 PM   #12
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

Hi does anyone have any experience volunteering at Juravinski? I'm going to be volunteering there this year and I would love to hear anything about positions or anything else. And when can you (if possible) transfer to McMaster?

Old 08-08-2011 at 10:47 AM   #13
Periphery

Liked: 3 Times

One thing I've noticed is with HHS, even if you do get accepted, good luck getting a position you actually like.

For example, at Hamilton General on Barton St, they wanted me to act as a switchboard, calling stroke recovery patients and running through a checklist of rehabilitation procedures with them. I could even do this at home, they said.

Kinda the reason I wanted to volunteer at a hospital was to, you know, get the experience of being in that environment, depressing as it may be.
Old 08-08-2011 at 10:51 AM   #14
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

Hey, I have been there for 6 months and have volunteered in the ER so far. It's a very nice hospital if you've been there, and when you meet with the coordinator she will most likely tell you it's your choice where you want to go. Some choice I got were ER, ICU, and working with the elderly but I believe there was more as well. Also currently you can come and go as you please and there is no set schedule or times you have to be there which is pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleria View Post
Hi does anyone have any experience volunteering at Juravinski? I'm going to be volunteering there this year and I would love to hear anything about positions or anything else. And when can you (if possible) transfer to McMaster?

Old 08-08-2011 at 11:02 AM   #15
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandlerowns View Post
Hey, I have been there for 6 months and have volunteered in the ER so far. It's a very nice hospital if you've been there, and when you meet with the coordinator she will most likely tell you it's your choice where you want to go. Some choice I got were ER, ICU, and working with the elderly but I believe there was more as well. Also currently you can come and go as you please and there is no set schedule or times you have to be there which is pretty awesome.
Thanks that was very helpful. I do have to ask though do you get any work in the ER? I currently volunteer in the ER too (at a different hospital) and no one gives me anything to do. What position would you suggest I could take up if I want 1)work to do and 2)patient contact. Thanks so much!