MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Farmstand Volunteering Farmstand Body & Food 0 05-23-2011 12:14 PM
Starting Today McMaster ER Closed to Adults - 18 and older must go to other Hospitals Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 04-09-2011 10:43 AM
Volunteering off-campus kevcom General Discussion 9 02-14-2011 02:14 PM
Volunteering joannasmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 07-19-2009 12:24 AM

Volunteering at HHS hospitals in first year

Old 08-08-2011 at 11:03 AM   #16
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

I have volunteered at two different hospitals for the past three years Toronto East General Hospital and Toronto Western Hospital. I finished Toronto East at the end of high school but I did some more volunteering at Toronto Western this summer! I've had all different kinds of positions from paper work, gift shop, working at the information desk, patient care. As a student my favourite positions was as receptionist at the ICU/Surgical Waiting room at Toronto Western and Surgical Waiting room at Toronto East. That's where I felt the most helpful because as a relative it's hard to sit there waiting not knowing what is going on with your loved one and as a nurse/doctor you may not be able to give every relative the time they need so that's where I came in! I relayed information to the waiting relatives about the status of their loved ones and any messages the nurses had, and answered their questions if I could. AND during the not so busy times I got to do my homework cause I was at a desk lol.
Old 08-09-2011 at 06:00 PM   #17
zafarm

Liked: 0 Times

St. Joseph's Villa is in Dundas, just about 5 minutes away from Mac and is always looking for volunteers. Its a large nursing home but will help diversify your volunteer experience, if that's what you're looking for. I volunteered there during my first and second year and I ended up with many things to talk about during interviews.
Old 08-09-2011 at 06:41 PM   #18
Johnny162

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafarm View Post
St. Joseph's Villa is in Dundas, just about 5 minutes away from Mac and is always looking for volunteers. Its a large nursing home but will help diversify your volunteer experience, if that's what you're looking for. I volunteered there during my first and second year and I ended up with many things to talk about during interviews.

Good to know! What sort of work were you doing?
Old 08-17-2011 at 08:01 PM   #19
anyj

website
http://www.hamiltonhealthsci ences.ca/body.cfm?id=2039

You can apply online here and choose which hospital and position you are interested in.
Good luck!
Old 08-17-2011 at 09:27 PM   #20
sweet eyes

I have also only volunteered for the 40 hr completion thingy in high school. After that, i have only volunteered for various clubs at Mac and a bit of other volunteering here and there, but nothing substantial. So, would it be impossible for me to get a volunteering position at a hospital?
Old 08-17-2011 at 10:36 PM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet eyes View Post
I have also only volunteered for the 40 hr completion thingy in high school. After that, i have only volunteered for various clubs at Mac and a bit of other volunteering here and there, but nothing substantial. So, would it be impossible for me to get a volunteering position at a hospital?
It's not impossible. I know a few people who have gotten it. But it's just McMaster's hospital that tends to be a little full. Apply anyway to a few hospitals and see which ones you get!
Old 08-18-2011 at 03:56 PM   #22
Johnny162

Liked: 16 Times

St. Joesphs Hospital System has 3 sites aroudn hamilton, all of which accept volunteers. Im not sure if thats part of HHS though. It doesnt matter really as long as you are in somewhere and helping out
Old 08-18-2011 at 04:26 PM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny162 View Post
St. Joesphs Hospital System has 3 sites aroudn hamilton, all of which accept volunteers. Im not sure if thats part of HHS though. It doesnt matter really as long as you are in somewhere and helping out
Nope, they're not part of HHS.
Old 08-18-2011 at 04:36 PM   #24
R633

Liked: 24 Times

Becoming a volunteer takes quite some time. There is quite a lot of screening you have to go through in terms of vaccinations and reference letters. Be sure to apply early on so that you can get the position you want. Also, for HHS sites, there is some initial training and orientation that you must go through. I applied at JCC early last summer and didn't start volunteering until the fall semester. So be sure to apply early to get all your training and orientations out of the way.
Old 08-18-2011 at 06:18 PM   #25
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafarm View Post
Mind tell me more about it (PM?)? I'm really interested, lol.
Old 09-07-2011 at 02:37 PM   #26
dorsauce

I'm curious about St. Joseph's Villa as well. Does anyone know the likelihood of getting a volunteer position there without any previous hospital experience?
Old 09-07-2011 at 03:20 PM   #27
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

If anyone is interested, staff from the Hospital Elder Life Program at the Hamilton General Hospital will be coming to the Clubfest tomorrow to recruit volunteers for their January 2012 training session. Their table will be in the student centre near Williams.

Here are some more details about this opportunity:

Hospital Volunteer Opportunity

WHAT:  New Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP) Volunteers are needed.
            Hamilon Health Sciences’ HELP program is looking for
             volunteers.  HELP volunteers provide support to
             Senior patients who benefit from stimulation and
             socialization while in hospital.  Volunteers are asked to give
             three hours per week; must be over 18 years of age; must
             be willing to participate in 24 hours of training, including
             two days of classroom instruction. 

WHERE: Volunteers needed for Hamilton General Hospital and Juravinski Hospital.

There is a 12 hour in-class training for this position (the next sessions will be in January). Volunteers also need to complete an interview, health clearance and police check (these can be done before training).

I have been volunteering in this program since June and it has been a very rewarding experience.

Hamilton General Hospital - Nancy Hayes, Volunteer Resources 905-521-2100, ext. 46562.
Juravinski Hospital - Liz DeLuca, Volunteer Resources, 905-521-2100, ext. 42105

RachDin, RememberTwce all say thanks to saukalra for this post.