MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Waiting List Gant General Discussion 4 07-29-2013 09:30 PM
Course waiting list SaphireFire Academics 2 08-12-2010 11:40 PM
CA waiting list pawmiii Residence & Housing 2 08-04-2010 11:26 AM
Waiting List ? Demonoid12 General Discussion 0 05-11-2009 05:05 PM
HELP! - im on the waiting list for rez! futuremac Residence & Housing 21 07-18-2008 11:16 PM

waiting list for 2nd year engineering

Old 05-31-2014 at 01:03 AM   #1
amirnrfkn

Liked: 0 Times

waiting list for 2nd year engineering
Hey guys, does anyone know if being on a waiting list for mechanical will make any difference whether I get into this program or not?
So basically, last year my average was too low to get into mechanical so I decided to minor in economics for now to bring my average high this year. My average was 7.7 this year but I still didn't get into mechanical (got into materials instead), even though previously Sally had told me I would get into mechanical most likely if my average is above 7.
So I emailed her and she said that my average was very close to the cut-off, so I told her to put me on the waiting list for mechanical.
1. is there any hope? was anyone on a waiting list and got into the program they wanted or is it just something to make you THINK there is still hope?
2. can some one in materials give me a summary on the courses in this program? (e.g., how difficult they are, course load, is it interesting, etc.)
THANK YOU!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2014 at 08:22 AM   #2
mythbuster06

Liked: 1 Time

I'll be going into my third year of Materials Eng - I'm loving every minute of it.

The program is relatively small (~50 students), so the professors get to know everyone somewhat quickly. The profs are awesome and all do very interesting and relevant research.

The course load is challenging but manageable if you can make efficient use of your time.
It's definitely more challenging than Matls 1M03 would have you believe.

You also have the option to focus your studies in 3rd and 4th year and study metallurgy (metals and alloys), polymers, electronic materials, nano materials, or a combination of those. Those courses are chosen from a list of technical electives.

Second year was still somewhat general, but here's a quick summary of what you would take.
-Many students found the thermo courses (Matls 2B03 and 2D03) and mechanics (Eng 2P04) to be challenging.
-Math 2Z03 was quite okay, but Math 2ZZ3 was not a good time at all.
-Matls 2H04 involves semester-long group projects (it's a full year course) so your enjoyment of the course is dependent on your group mates (you don't get to choose them).
-Crystallography (Matls 2X03) involved lots of memorization but it was cool.
-Fluids (Chem Eng 2O04) was amazingly cool and very reasonable.
-Circuits and Power (Eng 2MM3) is hit or miss - depends on your prof and how much you enjoy electricity. (It's supposed to be an easy-ish course but it got tricky.)
-Chemistry 1AA3 took work - it's a first year course, but it's taken with first-year Life Sci's so there's emphasis on memorization instead of understanding and problem-solving.
-You get one complementary studies elective as well.
-Full course descriptions are found here: http://registrar-old.mcmaster.ca/CAL...nt/pg1814.html

Let me know if you have any more questions about the program - sorry I didn't answer anything about the waiting list.

amirnrfkn says thanks to mythbuster06 for this post.

amirnrfkn likes this.
Old 05-31-2014 at 03:16 PM   #3
amirnrfkn

Liked: 0 Times

thanks man! I'm more interested in materials eng now