MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can i drop a class in term 2 and take a class in term 1??? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 08-10-2010 12:58 PM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM
First Day of Class!! Infinity General Discussion 2 09-10-2009 01:40 PM
How to tell if your 100% in a class? darkstar First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-10-2009 07:31 AM

Walking from class to class without being late

Old 06-18-2011 at 07:27 PM   #16
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Invest in a Segway

biochemer likes this.
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:28 PM   #17
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I have never sat in the front row. Out of curiousity, for those who have, do you find it beneficial?
In some cases it's better because you can hear the professor better and there are less people whispering/talking up there. I don't find it any different in terms of being able to focus or not, though. I've also fallen asleep numerous times in the front row, so it doesn't change anything there.
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:33 PM   #18
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
In some cases it's better because you can hear the professor better and there are less people whispering/talking up there. I don't find it any different in terms of being able to focus or not, though. I've also fallen asleep numerous times in the front row, so it doesn't change anything there.
How about the prof catching you asleep and giving you the evil eye for the rest of the lecture when you wake up?

BlueWave, LukeEngineer like this.
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:36 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
I have never sat in the front row. Out of curiousity, for those who have, do you find it beneficial?
I found it beneficial for some classes, and not so much for others. It helps with keeping up with the prof and seeing the PPT slides easier, especially when I forget my glasses. Also, I found that it's easier to answer questions when you're in the front and 200 people aren't staring at you .
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:38 PM   #20
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
How about the prof catching you asleep and giving you the evil eye for the rest of the lecture when you wake up?
has yet to happen to me loll. I find that a lot of professors don't actually make that much eye contact with the students in the front row. I think it also depends on the lecture hall, but a lot of profs look out into the middle of the room.

it is kind of awkward to be dozing off and snapping to repeatedly beside other people though XD
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:45 PM   #21
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Lol I actually think it's easier for me to focus when I'm sitting in the front row. If I sit in the back, I'm tempted to do nothing the entire lecture and there's nothing to stop me. But if I sit in the front, I feel pressured to pay attention, seeing as the prof is three meters in front of me.

anon491 likes this.
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:49 PM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

10 minutes is usually enough time to any building on campus. Unless you have one of the annoying professors who blatantly talks past :20 without giving a crap. Then you might have to sneak out early.
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:57 PM   #23
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Overall, if you sit in the front, you are more aware of what is going on.

For ex:
Most of the people who do ask questions sit at the front, so you can hear their questions better.
After class, when people ask the prof questions, you can pretty much hear what is going on just from your seat.

I personally don't like sitting in the front. I love sitting in the middle. The front is just too close and too goody-goody two shoes.

I love sitting in a brand new spot every lecture. Not only to prevent routine, but you also meet way more people!

Dopematic likes this.
Old 06-18-2011 at 08:26 PM   #24
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Haha, when I first went in to meet one of my professors, he recognized me as "the one who doesn't take notes and eats lunch during my class". I'm doing paid research with him this summer, so I think the moral of the story is: slack off if you want to impress your profs.

Entropy, Eternal Fire like this.
Old 06-18-2011 at 08:51 PM   #25
aw07

Liked: 24 Times

What is a Segway?
Old 06-18-2011 at 09:02 PM   #26
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw07 View Post
What is a Segway?

Old 06-18-2011 at 09:04 PM   #27
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw07 View Post
What is a Segway?
It's a transition from one topic of speech to another.

Old 06-18-2011 at 09:05 PM   #28
aw07

Liked: 24 Times

@ Aelyas

LOL...I'm sure I would look so cool going class to class on that!
Old 06-18-2011 at 09:12 PM   #29
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Living in Les Prince teaches you to walk faster to get where you need to go. And take shortcuts. Or leave earlier. After a couple weeks I managed to go from LP to ITB in 10. :p
Old 06-18-2011 at 10:16 PM   #30
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

10 minutes is plenty of time to go across campus. If distance between classes is extreme (like between ITB and TSH), then I suggest you walk fast.

You should show up on time for labs/tutorials, but being late for first year lectures isn't a big deal (you might miss announcements, that's all). If class size is small, then your profs will definitely notice, so try to make it on time.

If you're picky about where you sit, then be aware that spots in the front row usually fill up quickly. If you are late, you may be stuck in the middle or the back.

Lastly, when you and other first years start skipping lectures, none of this will matter to you.