MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Wanted] Any Physics 1L03 TUTORS! resh.jyoti Academics 6 11-19-2009 01:54 AM
Math 1Z04, where can I get help kenvin100 Academics 11 11-02-2008 08:59 PM
Tutor wanted? Calculus/Economics Tutor available tutormac Academics 4 10-12-2008 08:19 PM
MATH 1Z04 Lab 1 Bobby66 Academics 1 10-06-2008 10:08 PM

[Wanted] - Any calculus 1z04 tutors

Old 11-15-2009 at 01:46 PM   #1
mehran.k

Liked: 0 Times

[Wanted] - Any calculus 1z04 tutors
Need a calculus 1z04 tutor. contact me at [email protected] .
Old 11-15-2009 at 07:58 PM   #2
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehran.k View Post
Need a calculus 1z04 tutor. contact me at [email protected] .
You can search for tutors using the following site: http://careers.mcmaster.ca/tutors/tutor-database-home

Hope that helps!
Old 11-17-2009 at 04:59 PM   #3
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

look up patrickgmt on youtube..helped me succeed in both eng math courses in 1st yr..

ice8 likes this.
Old 11-17-2009 at 06:44 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

justmathtutoring.com

kenvin100 likes this.
Old 11-17-2009 at 09:00 PM   #5
Adeel

Liked: 0 Times

really good calc and physics videos at
http://www.khanacademy.org
Old 11-18-2009 at 07:01 AM   #6
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

PatrickJMT

kenvin100 likes this.
Old 11-18-2009 at 02:21 PM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

he doesnt have videos on series/sequences :(
Old 11-19-2009 at 04:43 PM   #8
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

you mean taylor maclauren series?..course he does..look a little deeper lol..i didnt understand a word of Protaz's Egyptian hieroglyphics (not that i styll do of course) or his explanations..its all patrickJMTs work!

Old 11-19-2009 at 07:36 PM   #9
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

PatrickJMT is the man! He was the reason I got a 10 in 1Z04 and saved most of my friend's asses too.
http://www.youtube.com/user/patrickj...4EF58B2CA7F1C9
There is the link on series, specifically McLaurin near the bottom.

As for a tutor, you could possibly message Mowicz. I believe he did a review session for us last year on either 1Z04 or 1ZZ5, cant' remember. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Mowicz likes this.
Old 11-20-2009 at 12:33 AM   #10
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
As for a tutor, you could possibly message Mowicz. I believe he did a review session for us last year on either 1Z04 or 1ZZ5, cant' remember. Couldn't hurt to ask.
I just tutored 6 people for tomorrow's test, and I'm booked to help another 2 tomorrow. 0:

I'm a bit surprised at how much demand there is for tutoring, haha. (It makes me realize what an overpaid profession academia is though...I made $150, just today) I'm also a bit confused as to why so many people are asking for me specifically, when there are so many qualified math tutors! (Word of mouth perhaps)

Here are some general tips, from my own experience as well as from what areas were consistently covered in my tutoring sessions today:

a) Know what a sequence is (ie. an infinite 'string' of numbers)
b) Know what a series is (ie. the sum of the terms of a sequence)
c) Know the "convergence test." That is:

If {a_n} is a sequence, and you're looking at the sum from (n = 1 to infinity) of a_n...the terms had better get arbitrarily small, or your sum will blow up.

In other words, if lim[n->infinity] a_n =/= 0, then the series must diverge.

**Note: The converse does not hold in general! But if say, you have an alternating sequence then it converges if and only if the limit of the a_n's is 0.

IMPORTANT: Always always ALWAYS do this check first. It can save you a lot of hassle, if you can conclude right off the bat that a series diverges.

d) Know the "comparison test." That is:

If {a_n} and {b_n} are two sequences, and a_n < b_n for all n...then if you're looking at the sum from (n = 1 to infinity) of b_n and it's finite (ie. convergent), the sum from (n = 1 to infinity) of a_n must be finite as well.

e) Know the "integral test." I can't explain this one as well with text (too bad I can't draw a picture), but the idea is that you think of the terms of your sequence as a 'riemann sum' of an integral, where you've partitioned the x-axis into pieces each having length 1.

f) Look through your lecture notes for any 'tricks' your professor did in class. You can expect these will probably be on the test!

g) Any 'really hard questions' on your practice exams are from several years ago...they were 'tricks' presented in class, that they were expected to know.

(In particular, there's one question which is the sum of (sin(x)/3)^n. You're expected to multiply the sum by sin(x), then divide by the original sum, and compare what you get with the original sum (which is pretty evil!))

------------------

Hope that helps!