MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What campus buildings are open on weekends? AnnaWM General Discussion 4 02-23-2012 03:12 PM
What time are buildings on campus open until? vandejl General Discussion 5 10-01-2011 12:53 PM
Are you allowed to leave campus during your breaks? Arnold General Discussion 2 09-04-2008 12:21 AM
MacInsiders Guide to Buildings On Campus Chad First Year Success 0 08-30-2008 05:47 PM

Are we allowed to spend nights in campus buildings?

Old 07-16-2013 at 11:09 PM   #1
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

Are we allowed to spend nights in campus buildings?
Okay, so something I didn't know I would worry about when I was moving to Canada. It's too freaking hot.

It's going to be 44 C on humidity index tomorrow. My apartment does not have central AC, and I can't sleep when my body is sticking to bedsheets soaked with sweat. So it hit me. McMaster has AC running all the time in most buildings. Some of those buildings are spacious enough to fit me, my sleeping bag, and my laptop.

Are we allowed to do that? Can I sleep a through a night somewhere ( lets say on the table in lobby of JHE), saying I'm waiting for results of an important research? If so, what buildings are opened at night, in case I need to get out and buy some snacks?
Old 07-16-2013 at 11:31 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Why can't you bring snacks with you? I'm sure after a certain period of time security locks all of the buildings. I heard of people sleeping in MUSC.
Old 07-16-2013 at 11:43 PM   #3
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

What about basement of BSB? It's the coldest place on campus. Clean too.
Old 07-17-2013 at 12:19 AM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

I guess you can try sleeping wherever you can find space as long as the janitors don't kick you out. Most commonly people sleep on the student centre tables/benches.
Old 07-17-2013 at 09:11 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

You can try, but the fact that you'll have a sleeping bag with you will make you look like a homeless person... loitering inside a private space is not legal. Don't make a habit of it and maybe you can get away with it during the summer.

Or change your sleep cycle? Or try couch surfing?
Old 07-17-2013 at 10:28 AM   #6
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Skip the sleeping bag and I'm sure you can get away with it. There are some comfortable couches on the upper floors of KTH and CNH.
Old 07-17-2013 at 10:34 AM   #7
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

There are many places that students can crash. I've done it many a time. Posting those locations in a public forum: Not something I'm about to do But as others have said, and as you seemed to have realized, being so open and visible to passers-by will not likely go well. I wouldn't suggest the lobby.
Old 07-17-2013 at 10:52 AM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Buildings that lock after-hours (like BSB) aren't a good idea because the custodial staff will kick you out. The student centre is always open, so that tends to be where people sleep.

Saying you're waiting for research results makes absolutely no sense...People doing actual research on campus have much more private office-like areas, and if you were going to sleep on campus, that's where you'd do it. Also, you wouldn't have an ID badge so it would take all of two seconds for them to realize you're lying.

Or you could invest in a fan for your bedroom. Something that I found helped a bit was taking those neck roll things that you can heat up in the microwave, and putting it in the freezer instead. Then, you take it out at night and put it next to you while you sleep.
Old 07-17-2013 at 11:24 AM   #9
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Or you could invest in a fan for your bedroom. Something that I found helped a bit was taking those neck roll things that you can heat up in the microwave, and putting it in the freezer instead. Then, you take it out at night and put it next to you while you sleep.
On top of a fan for your bedroom, you can also get a smaller fan and position it beside your bed so it blows directly onto your face. My friend has that in his room.

Stay cool.
Old 07-17-2013 at 02:10 PM   #10
Ponyo

Liked: 278 Times

or you could make your own A.C http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Tr0P5seJw
if you are not a very crafty person then place a bowl full with water and ice cubes and place it in front of the fan, this way the air that blows will be super cool.

Afsha-noon says thanks to Ponyo for this post.

alyssarr likes this.