MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
downtown hamilton to Mac Ipskak Automotive & Transportation 2 01-23-2013 05:15 PM
TED2010 Conference Live in Downtown Hamilton icca MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-02-2010 10:24 AM

weird people in downtown hamilton

Old 04-21-2014 at 10:34 PM   #16
Omar36

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse.C View Post
nevertheless, it's still safer than anywhere in MURICA
I think everyone agrees with that statement
Old 04-22-2014 at 12:10 AM   #17
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse.C View Post
nevertheless, it's still safer than anywhere in MURICA
Just disgusting. Did I somehow stumble upon /r/circlejerk? I really had to double check when I read the replies on this thread.

Yes, lets just spout random statements without having a single fact to back it up. You are equally as worst as a racist for discriminating United States based on whatever insane belief you have.

I'm doing this purely out of the goodness of my heart and will attempt to curb some of the brainwashing that is happening in this thread.

Based on 2011 Violent Crimes (per 100,000 people), Hamilton has a record of 1052. To compare locally, Toronto only have 876!

Comparing this to the major US cities closest data range for 2012 Violent Crimes (per 100,000 people), only 18 cities is higher than Hamilton record of 1052. If you actually look at the data and look at the range, we are within the top 18 cities by about 100 or so reported crimes.

Do not ignore the statistic! You are suppose to be University educated students. Ignoring is as worse as buying lottery ticket because you think you can win. Statistically impossible for you to win a lottery and it is statistically possible for you to be involves in related crimes if you loiter around unsafe area that I have mentioned.

So anyway, lets say you are just as equally ignorant and uneducated like the rest of the Ontario's Work leeches that is polluting Hamilton's core. Think about this - Jackson Square has a full time squadron of police officers that constantly patrolling the very small intersection. You can observe them anytime if you walk around the place, go look and record how many and how often they are there. If its so fucking safe, you think this rotten city would do it?

Oh and yes, I have talked to them number of time and every time the conversion of crimes in Hamilton core is brought up, they all have the same grin and reply universally "that's why we are out here".

Play with fire and you will eventually get burn. This proverb applies exclusively to those within this thread that are disregarding concrete data that unequivocally shows how dangerous Hamilton as a city is in comparison to the rest of Canada and the United States.

Last edited by HILLyBilly : 04-22-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-22-2014 at 12:50 AM   #18
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

It's naive to assume a city like this has no violent crime, especially considering the income inequality that's rampant here. What I vehemently disagree with is that the average person waiting for a bus outside Jackson Square at midnight is at risk.

That said, I think you're looking in the wrong places for information. Note the difference between the crime rate and the crime severity index:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-004-...artie1-eng.htm

according to the Violent Crime Severity Index, Hamilton's violent crime is less severe than Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Thunder Bay, Regina, Edmonton, Vancouver, Halifax, Montreal, Kelowna, Abbotsford-Mission, Saguenay, Toronto, St. John's, Sudbury, Moncton, Gatineau, Saint John, Brantford, Windsor, Peterborough, London and Victoria. We're also below the Canadian average. These are Canadian statistics obtainable from StatsCan here:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-.../tbl04-eng.htm

Old 04-22-2014 at 04:03 AM   #19
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 30 Times

you can't deny that Canada is safer than Murica generally speaking...
Old 04-22-2014 at 09:58 PM   #20
The Effekt

Liked: 3 Times

Just learn self defense so if anyone tries to fuck with you then you just incapacitate them in any way you see fit-although if they're high on crack then they might be less susceptible to feeling pain in which case you would really have to immobilize them lol.
Old 04-28-2014 at 12:56 AM   #21
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLyBilly View Post
Its definitely not quite away like you describe, its basically the distance from one end of our campus to another. What you are doing is putting students at risk by downplaying the danger nature of Hamilton, especially around the downtown area.
100% untrue. Main and Sanford is a fair walk from the downtown core. I know because my family doctor's office is at that intersection, and I have close family that lives in that neighbourhood. Barton and Gage is also super far away from the core. (I used to live by the Delta)
Old 04-28-2014 at 01:13 AM   #22
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Also this is in general the most ignorant bull crap I've ever heard.

"Ontario Works Leeches" "It's dangerous because it's poor"

I grew up in this City both in the east end and on the mountain.

Only violence I ever experienced was from school bullies (in both neighbourhoods).

I used to hang around the core quite a bit, including at night. Someone offered to sell me drugs once. No other incidences.

Of course I've had a fleeing suspect run through my back yard up in a fairly affluent area of the Mountain....

But I digress. Those people you view as leeches (because it's not like you're taking anything from the system by being in University right?) are often quite nice good people. Some of them come or have come to Hamilton because their cities do their best to push poor people or people with disabilities out. Others have been hard hit by the decline of manufacturing and are simply not competitive for the few new jobs that are remotely related.

A lot of people in Hamilton hate McMaster and I sympathize. I've been both a Hamiltonian and a McMaster student, but I'm just so sick of how many McMaster students are ignorant and make offensive comments about Hamilton and Hamiltonians. As far as I'm concerned, if you think Hamiltonians are scum, then I couldn't care less if you leave and go to some other school. If you have such a negative opinion of Hamiltonians, you're not part of the solution and you are in fact part of the problem.

Old 04-28-2014 at 08:15 AM   #23
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

Some of the comments in this thread just have me shaking my head. That people who find themselves in dire financial circumstances are uneducated and have nothing to live for? And as stated above, leeches and dangerous?

You don't even know what you're talking about. First of all ODSP and OW are separate and you're grouping everyone together. You're making a hell of a lot of assumptions about who these people are. You know nothing of their backgrounds, education or where they came from or why they ended up in these circumstances.

Maybe you're educated - or think you are - but you're ignorant! To me, that's much more dangerous.

doppelganger, Kudos, starfish like this.
Old 04-28-2014 at 04:08 PM   #24
king10

Liked: 25 Times

Having lived and worked in both downtown Hamilton and Downtown Toronto one is no worse than the other. Every downtown in Canada has its share of these people, Hamilton no worse than others. Hamilton's downtown has come leaps and bounds from where it was 20 years ago. There is a resurgence in condo development and gentrification of older neighbourhoods. The city is positioning itself well as a major health care and research leader a la Pittsburgh. It's been a tough transition from the steel industry but the downtown is not anymore dangerous than any other city in Canada.

Kudos likes this.
Old 04-28-2014 at 04:10 PM   #25
king10

Quote:
You definitely to take extra precaution when travelling across downtown Hamilton. Make sure you secure your wallet and have a tight grip on your cellular phone.

As Kudos has laid out, Hamilton unemployment rate is one of the lowest and people actually move here to collect benefits.
I think you're a tad confused. Low unemployment is a good thing. Economics 101.

Kudos, starfish like this.
Old 04-28-2014 at 04:15 PM   #26
king10

Quote:
You definitely to take extra precaution when travelling across downtown Hamilton. Make sure you secure your wallet and have a tight grip on your cellular phone.

As Kudos has laid out, Hamilton unemployment rate is one of the lowest and people actually move here to collect benefits. People that are in poverty are uneducated and have nothing to live for, that is why crime is so high. In fact, last year TheSpec did a overview and ranked Hamilton second to Thunder Bay for violence crimes. On top of that, Hamilton has the second lowest solved rate for these crimes.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/22...st-in-ontario/

Hell just two weeks ago a man stabbed a pregnant woman near Jackson Square.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/44...regnant-woman/

In the same week, there was a mugging a bit east.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/44...st-end-attack/

The list just go on if you pay attention to the local news of Hamilton. Basically rule of thumb is this, downtown is sketchy. Be careful. Going a bit east of downtown is suicidal. You really shouldn't need to go in that direction unless you are picking up illicit goods.
This entire post is disgusting and furthest thing from the truth. To call a downtown "sketchy" and not go unless picking up "illicit" goods. As a proud Hamiltonian who has lived in the core for over 25 years I take offense to you're comments and they come across as immature and without merit.

Have you ever been to Vancouver's east side downtown? Or Toronto's North West downtown.

Please dont let the opinions of a few contort your views of Hamilton. Go out and explore for yourself, be mindful of your possession's and safety as you would be in any other area of the country and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Some great areas to check out are Augusta St. James St North and South. As well as pier 4 bayfront park.

Kudos likes this.
Old 05-23-2014 at 01:20 AM   #27
afireinside

Just have to throw my 2 cents in. I grew up in "Canada's best midsize place to live", Burlington ugg. I have travelled all over the world and I chose/choose to live in Hamilton. I feel no less safe in downtown than anywhere else. In fact I am thinking about selling my home in Westdale to move downtown. As Kudos pointed out, and what I've been saying for years, statistically speaking Hamilton/downtown is a safe place relative to other big cities and for anyone who thinks different, it's your loss.
Old 05-23-2014 at 09:30 AM   #28
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by afireinside View Post
Just have to throw my 2 cents in. I grew up in "Canada's best midsize place to live", Burlington ugg. I have travelled all over the world and I chose/choose to live in Hamilton.

Old 05-23-2014 at 10:46 AM   #29
afireinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneup View Post
you are awesome.
Old 05-23-2014 at 11:38 AM   #30
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by afireinside View Post
you are awesome.