MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
schedule jj06 General Discussion 4 09-15-2010 10:30 PM
Got my schedule ECHOvirus First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-10-2010 01:06 PM
Schedule Help Puzzlepiece First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-10-2010 12:11 PM
Schedule Help! CourtneyF First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-09-2010 09:59 PM
Holiday Schedule and Exam schedule Reno V First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 10-16-2008 01:56 PM

Welcome Day '08 Schedule

Welcome Day '08 Schedule
AUGUST 8th 2008

Library Tours
H.G. Thode Library of Science Engineering (Tours every half hour, 10am - 11:30am and 1pm - 1:30pm)
Innis Library (Business) (Tours 10am - 2pm, every half hour)
Mills Memorial Library (Humanities and Social Science) (Tours 10am - 2pm, every half hour)
Health Science Library (No organized tours but feel free to visit)

David Braley Athletic Centre and Ivor Wynne Centre (Athletic Complex) (Tours 9am - 12pm)
Travel to the Ivor Wynne Centre (IWC) or the David Braley Athletic Centre (DBAC) to see the full-score variety of physical activity you can participate in while at Mac. Information is available on competitive sports, intramurals, instructional and outdoor programs and our state-of-the-art fitness facility, 'The Pulse'.

Residence Hall Tours (Tours 10am - 2pm)
Now that you know what residence you'll be living in for the next eight months, stop by your new home and meet the upper year student leaders who will be living there with you. You'll be introduced to a typical room with all the incredible amenities available to you as a resident!

Hamilton Tour (Tours 10am - 2pm, every 30 minutes)
Hop on a specially chartered HSR bus for guided tours of Hamilton's transit system. 'Downtown & Beyond' highlights some of Hamilton's entertainment hot spots like Hess Village, and transportation links, like the downtown bus terminal and connections to Stoney Creek and the Mountain.

Debunking the Myths: Student Panel (Hamilton Hall 302, 10am - 11am and 1pm - 2pm)
Will I gain a freshman 15? Will I have mountains of homework? Will I meet people and make friends? Every question is a good question for young students approaching university. Let our panel of experienced upper-year students ease any anxieties incoming first years may have about starting their life at Mac.

First Year Parent Program (Hamilton Hall 109, 10am - 11am and 1pm - 2pm)
This session is specifically geared to parents where they will have the opportunity to meet with University personnel and upper year students, who have primary responsibility for the care of student life on campus. Key University administrators will discuss the support services available to students, e.g. security, health, risk management, residences, and student services.

Living Off-Campus/Society of Off-Campus Students (Chester New Hall 104, 10am - 11am and 1pm - 2pm)
Wondering what it will be like living off-campus in your first year? Not sure how to get connected and meet people? Come to this session for a little dose of reality. You will receive tips on what it's like living in a student rental; get some ideas on how to handle living at home and commuting; hear about SOCS (the Society of Off Campus Students) and what they can do for you (especially during Welcome Week) and find out why Hamilton is a great place for students. Get a head start, and visit http://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/

Your Home Away From Home (Chester New Hall B147, 10am - 11am only)
This session will introduce incoming students to various aspects of the residence community, including a description of the student leadership system, the Inter-Residence Council, and helpful tips for living on campus.

Information Fair (9am - 2pm, Student Centre)
Over 60 student services and McMaster Students Union services will be represented at the Info Fair to provide students and parents with information ranging from financial aid, food services, and off campus resources to EFRT (Emergency First Response Team), and information on many of McMaster's student clubs.

Taking Effective Study Notes. Dr. Day (CIBC Hall in the Student Centre, 10am - 11pm and 1pm - 2pm)
Dr. Richard (Dick) Day, Professor in Psychology, has been nominated for the McMaster Students' Union Teaching Award each year from 1987 (when he won for the Faculty of Social Science) until 1999. He is known as one of the University's most enthusiastic teachers. Dr. Day will lead an exercise where you will participate in a mini lecture and learn step by step how to create effective smart study notes.

First Generation Program (CIBC Hall, 12pm - 1pm)
First Generation Students are the first in their immediate families to attend post secondary education. Research shows that these students often face barriers to postsecondary education and the transition from high school to university that other students do not. This 1 hour session will address these needs and offer strategies of how to deal with the challenges first year university can present. Students will meet with the Coordinator of McMaster’s First Generation Program and learn how to take advantage of the services and resources available. Dr. Richard Day, Professor in Psychology as a First Generation Student himself will be available to answer questions and concerns about student life in your first year.

Finances Matter! (Chester New Hall B147, 1pm - 2pm)
What you need to do between now and September to prepare for University. This session will focus on the financial aid opportunities available through McMaster and provide important information about completing your online payment agreement, making payments and managing your student account. Titles Bookstore
Titles will be hosting their computer vendors in a tent out front of the Student Centre, feel free to drop by and see the promotional deals available for first year students.

MacEng says thanks to Chad for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-25-2008 at 09:07 AM   #2
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times
I look forward to Taking Effective Study Notes the most, I think it's the most useful for me.

Old 07-25-2008 at 09:14 AM   #3
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times
It is pretty useful. Dr. Day is a really good professor. He's fun to listen to as he makes lots of jokes but he has HARD exams. So I think he'd be amazing for giving advice about note taking.

Old 07-25-2008 at 11:53 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
I helped with Dr. Day's presentation last year, and I'm involved this year but with a larger role. Also, I'm the one presenting in the First Gen session.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-26-2008 at 07:33 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Hrrm, the events I want to go to are often happening at the same time. Sorta lame.

Old 08-06-2008 at 02:01 PM   #6
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times
bump

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search