MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Demographics of McMaster University Alexmahone General Discussion 2 06-02-2018 05:44 PM
What do you like or dislike about Mcmaster university? theprayer5 General Discussion 54 03-19-2013 03:09 PM
The McMaster University Bursaries jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 13 01-03-2010 11:11 PM

Welcome to McMaster University!

Welcome to McMaster, congrats on choosing an amazing university. McMaster has a lot to offer. Post your questions in our discussion boards and get answers from current McMaster students and alumni.

Here are links to resources to get you started:

Useful Tips
Residence
Food & Dining
Student Clubs, Recration & Athletics
Life in Hamilton
Student Services
Health & Wellness
Finances
Transportation & Parking
For more resources visit http://start.mcmaster.ca

STUDENTS GOING INTO RESIDENCE:

Not guaranteed residence? Apply to the wait list here. No deposit is required.

Building/Room assignments are done by lottery. Room assignment notifications are emailed to students beginning in early July.

LOOKING FOR OFF-CAMPUS HOUSING?

Check out the MacInsiders-run Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/machousing/

And the MacInsiders Off-Campus Marketplace:
http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19 6

Other resources for you:
Congrats on choosing HAMILTON as your place to live while at University! You made a great choice. Watch the video below to see all the great things about our city:

Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-28-2016 at 02:02 PM   #2
Jassa0
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
Hi there, can I ask you for some help. I am going into Engineering I this fall.
So I'm trying to create a mock timetable. And this is what I have. I reallly need help.

https://postimg.org/image/6e73ekz6v/

I will be commuting to Mac and so I am choosing courses according to that.
What does the alternating labs/tutorials mean? Do you know if I can take summer courses? Any electives? Max # of courses?

I am the first kid to attend uni in my entire family. I don't know if this is a good timetable or not. Please advise me. oh I still have one elective to place in term 1. I m thinking of doing that in the summer.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-28-2016 at 10:09 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member
Faculty: Engineering
Year: Other

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassa0 View Post
Hi there, can I ask you for some help. I am going into Engineering I this fall.
So I'm trying to create a mock timetable. And this is what I have. I reallly need help.

https://postimg.org/image/6e73ekz6v/

I will be commuting to Mac and so I am choosing courses according to that.
What does the alternating labs/tutorials mean? Do you know if I can take summer courses? Any electives? Max # of courses?

I am the first kid to attend uni in my entire family. I don't know if this is a good timetable or not. Please advise me. oh I still have one elective to place in term 1. I m thinking of doing that in the summer.
1. Alternating is when you have a tutorial in one week and a lab in the other (so they keep alternating). I believe there are no labs/tutorials during the first week of school but your prof will let you know.
2. You can take summer school but the list for next summer won't be available until next term (sometime in March if I recall correctly).
3. Yes you can take electives in the summer, but again the list won't be available until March (though you can check this summer's courses on Mosaic, just select spring/summer 2016 and search for the course that you want to take next summer. However, if it is offered this summer, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be offered next summer).
If I recall, you can take up to 2 courses per term in the spring/summer session (so 2 in the spring and 2 in the summer).
But don't forget that getting into some programs (like civil, mechanical, management) is competitive so it's probably best to take a full course load in first year unless you have the free choice.
Your timetable looks alright, it seems you don't have major breaks first term so that's good.
Regarding commuting: it depends if you like to start early and finish early or start late and finish late. I guess it depends on how long your commute is and when you prefer to wake up.

Chad likes this.
Old 06-28-2016 at 10:31 PM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member
Year: Alumni

Liked: 91 Times
What? No more Chem 1E03 at 17:30? Where are students supposed to sleep then?

Also, don't forget to checkout the leaking sink in the men's bathroom on the 2nd floor of ITB. You will see it now, you will see it when you graduate.
Old 06-29-2016 at 07:56 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1,731 Times
Welcome to MacInsiders Jas! Congrats on choosing McMaster and being the first in the family for uni.

Jim did a great job answering your questions, any other questions you have feel free to post them in the forum for first-year questions here:

http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95
Old 05-12-2017
menaaa
This message has been removed by a moderator. .

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search