MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
naturopath - student wellness centre whatwillannd Body & Food 0 02-06-2013 11:41 AM
Malaysian Pyscho Mother Beating Her 8-Month Old Helpless Baby jim1 General Discussion 13 05-21-2012 10:02 AM
Did you know that the McMaster Wellness Center now has its own naturopathic doctor? funkymonkey MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-13-2012 02:11 PM
I feel so helpless. Please help. sad cypress General Discussion 8 07-14-2008 02:38 PM

Wellness Center = Helpless email. Lost and dead -____-

Old 04-17-2013 at 07:59 PM   #1
HiddenTruth

Liked: 1 Time

Wellness Center = Helpless email. Lost and dead -____-
Hello there!

I remember posting here about how i needed help and really needed to go see a psychologist/cousellor and well i didn't go in, i think i forgot or i just dont know what i did about it.

Anyways, so as i havnt studied yet for any of my finals even those that have passed i finally wrote up another small paragraph about some of the issues im having and this time made sure i sent it to the wellness center email and i finally did, but then all i got in reply was an automated message saying " The wellness center does not check emails 24/7" and that if im "in a crisis i should contact someone" and ive waited for about 24 hours now and still havnt gotten a reply....i most probably got this message because i sent it at 2 am.

I mean im kind of annoyed because we actually paid for these services in our tuition right? but not only that but i mean SOMEONE must have the responsibility to actually properly reply to messages right Anyways, i dont know if i will even get a proper reply and so i dont know what to do and now just feel dead hopeless.

Old 04-17-2013 at 08:16 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenTruth View Post
Hello there!

I remember posting here about how i needed help and really needed to go see a psychologist/cousellor and well i didn't go in, i think i forgot or i just dont know what i did about it.

Anyways, so as i havnt studied yet for any of my finals even those that have passed i finally wrote up another small paragraph about some of the issues im having and this time made sure i sent it to the wellness center email and i finally did, but then all i got in reply was an automated message saying " The wellness center does not check emails 24/7" and that if im "in a crisis i should contact someone" and ive waited for about 24 hours now and still havnt gotten a reply....i most probably got this message because i sent it at 2 am.

I mean im kind of annoyed because we actually paid for these services in our tuition right? but not only that but i mean SOMEONE must have the responsibility to actually properly reply to messages right Anyways, i dont know if i will even get a proper reply and so i dont know what to do and now just feel dead hopeless.

I didn't even know you *could* email them about stuff like that - they don't typically offer advice like that through email. You should call them or go visit them sometime when they're open.
Old 04-17-2013 at 08:27 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

How bad is it?

If you're feeling suicidal because of psych problems, go to the ER and you'll get seen ASAP.

Old 04-17-2013 at 09:14 PM   #4
HiddenTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I didn't even know you *could* email them about stuff like that - they don't typically offer advice like that through email. You should call them or go visit them sometime when they're open.
Ehhh... i prefer the email method as its easier to explain things but maybe ill try calling and see what they say, that is if i do call in ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
How bad is it?

If you're feeling suicidal because of psych problems, go to the ER and you'll get seen ASAP.
Its bad in a way that my life is going no where and i dont even feel like doing anything at all anymore but i wouldn't commit suicide. Thanks though!
Old 04-17-2013 at 09:31 PM   #5
lime

Liked: 3 Times

Hey, I think they don't they look at emails because the liability and risk management concerns concerning electronic communications would complicate their service delivery capacity. However, if you are having concerns, you can go there and you can be seen by someone in 24 hours! They are really amazing down there and they will make sure that all your concerns are adequately addressed.

HiddenTruth says thanks to lime for this post.

rpg51, starfish like this.
Old 04-17-2013 at 09:46 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Yeah I definitely prefer email too - but I don't mean that you should call them and explain all of your problems in detail, the most they'll do over the phone is get enough info to figure out what type of appointment they should book for you and how much time you'll need.
Old 04-17-2013 at 09:58 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Check your MI messages.
Old 04-17-2013 at 10:30 PM   #8
HiddenTruth

okay thank you all, ill try and go in in a couple days..hopefully i dont bail out and say i can fix it all by myself as always
Old 04-17-2013 at 11:09 PM   #9
dquest

Liked: 3 Times

I don't know if they are 'active' right now, but I would try giving the peer support line a call!

905-525-9140 x28888.

ashleighp likes this.
Old 04-18-2013 at 12:23 AM   #10
science002

Liked: 4 Times

Your best bet would be to talk to them in person. Its a whole process that they take you through in terms of making you feel comfortable at first and then slowly asking you about your problem. For example, if its stress related, they might tell you of a stress-relieving exercise and take you though it. It is completely confidential and they even ask you beforehand if you have any doubts about their procedure.

HiddenTruth says thanks to science002 for this post.
Old 04-18-2013 at 11:50 AM   #11
MaisliR

the wellness center has a couple of appointments a day for "emergency" appointments. you can try that.
Old 04-18-2013 at 09:27 PM   #12
HiddenTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dquest View Post
I don't know if they are 'active' right now, but I would try giving the peer support line a call!

905-525-9140 x28888.
Whats the difference between that and the normal call in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisliR View Post
the wellness center has a couple of appointments a day for "emergency" appointments. you can try that.
lol what do you mean by """"emergeny""""

and does anyone know how long it takes to set up an appointment? like can they give you one the day of you call in?
Old 04-18-2013 at 09:33 PM   #13
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenTruth View Post
Whats the difference between that and the normal call in?

lol what do you mean by """"emergeny""""

and does anyone know how long it takes to set up an appointment? like can they give you one the day of you call in?
The number that was posted isn't for SWC, it's for the peer support line.

Emergency is generally if you are at risk of hurting yourself or others.

To get in to see a counselor if it's not an emergency takes time (~3weeks). If you're referring to an appointment with a doctor, then they can usually do that the same day or next day (unless you have a specific doctor you want to see, then it depends on that doctor's hours and availability).
Old 04-19-2013 at 12:43 AM   #14
MalK

Liked: 0 Times

I just want to say that don't do what someone I know did, they too thought thy could fix it on their own, but at times you gotta realize that it's okay to let others in on what you're feeling like. I assure you once you let it all out it gets better and you don't feel so hopeless. Good luck.

HiddenTruth says thanks to MalK for this post.
Old 04-19-2013 at 11:44 AM   #15
HiddenTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
The number that was posted isn't for SWC, it's for the peer support line.

Emergency is generally if you are at risk of hurting yourself or others.

To get in to see a counselor if it's not an emergency takes time (~3weeks). If you're referring to an appointment with a doctor, then they can usually do that the same day or next day (unless you have a specific doctor you want to see, then it depends on that doctor's hours and availability).
3 WEEKS? my finals will be over by then :/