MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drop/Cancel Date Commie8507 General Discussion 5 03-09-2011 02:38 PM
Last Day To Drop Courses? mattatmac General Discussion 1 01-27-2011 03:51 PM
Is there any difference between day and evening courses? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 12-29-2009 02:11 AM
Where to Drop and Add Courses? Deegs14 General Discussion 4 10-27-2009 10:39 PM
Drop/Add Courses hello395 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-03-2008 10:39 PM

what's the difference between cancel courses and drop courses?

Old 10-13-2012 at 01:34 PM   #1
cmkc109

Liked: 0 Times

what's the difference between cancel courses and drop courses?
Last day to drop term 1 and 3 courses without financial penalty is September 14, 2012
The last day to cancel term 1 courses without academic penalty is November 9, 2012

They have different dates
Old 10-13-2012 at 01:42 PM   #2
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

With dropped courses, you get your money back (a credit in your account balance) and there is no transcript notation. But you only get a portion of your money back (I think it diminishes by 10% each week) and there is a notation on your transcript (not sure if that means anything) when you cancel a course.

Edit: Thought that you might find this link useful.

Last edited by Brendan : 10-13-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2012 at 02:06 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkc109 View Post
Last day to drop term 1 and 3 courses without financial penalty is September 14, 2012
The last day to cancel term 1 courses without academic penalty is November 9, 2012

They have different dates
It basically tells you right there...dropping courses leads to no financial penalty, cancelling leads to no academic penalty (ie automatic zero). They have different dates because the penalties are different.
Old 10-13-2012 at 02:41 PM   #4
cmkc109

Liked: 0 Times

what if i drop it and take it again in 2nd term, that means i have to pay again?
Old 10-13-2012 at 02:59 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkc109 View Post
what if i drop it and take it again in 2nd term, that means i have to pay again?
If you're talking about droping a term 1 course right now, and taking it again in term 2, then you will lose a portion of your fees you paid already (term 1).. whether this is only a small percentage (30%) or all of it (100%) depends on the schedule of fee refund depreciation. I'd call the school monday.

In terms of taking it again 2nd semester, you may be able to negotiate recovering some of your fees from term 1 if you actually take it in term 2... although there's no garuntee. Again, this is a registrar or accounts question.

So the short answer is: yes, you should have to pay again.

cmkc109 says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 10-16-2012 at 09:28 PM   #6
Briere

Liked: 2 Times

Say for example we end up failing a course come finals then what is the penalty for that? (ie. are you kicked out of your program...?) I'm in engineering if that makes any difference. Also can someone direct me to where I can find my postal information? ( I have tried looking on StarRez..)
Old 10-16-2012 at 09:39 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briere View Post
Say for example we end up failing a course come finals then what is the penalty for that? (ie. are you kicked out of your program...?) I'm in engineering if that makes any difference. Also can someone direct me to where I can find my postal information? ( I have tried looking on StarRez..)
This doesn't really belong in this threat, but your mailing address (if that's what you mean by postal info) is on the housing website. A google search with your residence name and "postal code" should take you there.
If you fail a course, it depends what course it is to know what the repercussions are. For eng, you can take some courses in the summer. I don't think you're allowed to advance to level 2 if you fail any courses, but I could be wrong and you should check the course calendar and/or talk to an academic advisor for more accurate info.
Old 10-16-2012 at 10:09 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briere View Post
Passing all your first year courses (in engineering at least) is required to officially become a level 2 student. If you speak to your academic advisor there are ways to dodge the lvl 2 requirement to register in certain courses. Additionally, there are a number of first year courses (engineering) available in the summer; usually these are the ones with the highest drop out or failure rates (math, matls, phys, etc)

The best advice I would give to anybody who thinks they're going to fail a course (or multiple) is talk to an academic advisor asap, and remember... kicking ass on the exam can turn things around very surprisingly.