MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life sci 2d03 vs. 2f03 macbaby07 Academics 1 06-15-2010 07:04 PM
Biology 2D03 and 2F03 Labs ShouldBeStudying Academics 2 09-15-2009 10:41 AM
bio 2d03 or bio 2f03 yum24 Academics 6 08-15-2009 03:07 PM
Biology 2D03 vs. Bio 2F03 kute_lisa88 Academics 6 07-10-2009 11:59 AM

What's the difference between PSYCH 2D03/2F03?

Old 06-15-2008 at 11:56 AM   #1
mgallant

Liked: 7 Times

What's the difference between PSYCH 2D03/2F03?
Hey guys. I see a thread that talks about Psych 2f03, but nothing on 2D03.

I need to take one or the other for my second year required courses, and I was wondering what each was like. also, which would you recommend?
Old 06-15-2008 at 04:05 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

We're currently in the process of creating a review section on MacInsiders...and hopefully someone who has taken both or either will post on there for you soon!

In the meantime, please post your reviews so you can help out others!!: http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-25-2009 at 12:46 PM   #3
missmatch

Liked: 0 Times

Any updates on Psych 2D03/2N03 Neuropsychology? I don't see much of this course around here...
Old 06-25-2009 at 01:06 PM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

hey i wanted to take psych 2f03 but it's full. The antirequisites are life sci 2c03 and psych 2n03, would I learn the same things with those two courses? (psych 2f03 it's recommended for some level 3 bio courses and that is why I am asking).
Old 06-25-2009 at 07:33 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Psych 2N03 replaced Psych 2D03.

I didn't take 2D03 before it was removed and now I can no longer take 2N03 because it's an antirequisite. Though, I'm assuming if they're antirequisites that they'd cover similar material.
Old 07-17-2009 at 04:07 PM   #6
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

What are the projects in second year psychology generally like? I've signed up for 2N03 with dr. Ullal. I've noticed that in past outlines, with a different prof, you do group presentations/group essays/mini essays... does Dr. Ullal still follow this regime for the course? What are presentations supposed to be like? (formal/informal?) Thanks for any input to my questions.
Old 07-20-2009 at 01:55 PM   #7
JasonMcGuirk

Liked: 14 Times

I can give you a bit of insight into psych 2F03. However, I have not taken psych 2D03 (now known as psych 2N03) before as it is an antirequisite to 2F03. Given that they are antirequisites there is probably a lot of overlap in the material that is taught. Dr. Ullal was teaching both courses last year when I took 2F03 and he himself said that there was a lot of overlap.

However, I am not sure if the switch in psych 2D03's course code means that there is a signifigant change in the material being taught. The course description is still basically the same.

Psych 2D03 - http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...8/crs_2242.htm
Psych 2N03 - http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1837.html

Psych 2F03 was both interesting and difficult. It is by no means impossible but you have to put in the effort to review the concepts taught in lecture and get clarification on ones that you do not understand.

As in many science based classes if you take the time to review your lecture notes and actually understand the material the night after the lecture or at least during the week of the lecture, studying for the test will be a breeze.

If you don't understand something Dr. Ullal makes it clear that his office door is always open for extra clarification. He seems to really care about his students.

The course material's difficulty doesn't seem to be the problem, but more so the volume of information that is taught.

If I remember correctly the course starts off with the description of some disorders affecting sensory processes and neurological function such as phantom limb. From there the course moves into some basic brain anatomy and then a more in depth description of an Action Potential.

After the basic science of the neuron has been taught more advanced topics are examined such as vesicle recycling, neurotransmitter release and response, disorders caused my improper n/t reuptake, proliferation and types of nerves etc.

The nervous system's structure is also analyzed in terms of signal relay and crossover between upper and lower motor neurons in order to create muscle contraction/feeling of sensation. Lesions of different parts of the nervous system are looked at and the respective out come/disorder is then discussed (i.e. if the lower motor neuron involving muscle contractility is lesioned on the right side what will be the outcome).

The role of certain parts of the brain in the nervous system are also discussed. The course concludes with 4 mini lectures on the Teaching Assitants' research.

Dr Ullal's course breakdown last year was:

20% - Journal article summary/questions (2 at 10% each)
40% - Midterms (2 at 20% each non-cumulative)
40% - Exam (cumulative)

sinthusized says thanks to JasonMcGuirk for this post.