MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM

What's your program and why?

Old 08-15-2011 at 10:41 PM   #16
oranges

Liked: 34 Times

Well, right now I'm in philosophy and I chose it because I genuinely like it. It's even become something of a hobby for me.

Despite all of that, I plan on switching into biology after second year simply because I realized I would rather be doing biology. I think the knowledge one can gain from a degree like that is invaluable, especially in areas like physiology where you can essentially be learning about the function of your own body; it's immediately applicable and useful (not to mention interesting) especially for someone interested in a career in medicine or health care. Similar to what a previous poster said, I want to gain a better understanding of myself and of life itself and how it works. I just think it's all incredibly interesting and practical.

That's not to say that philosophy isn't a good program. Philosophy can also give a person a better understanding of one's self and of life, albeit in a different sense. I just think biology fits me better.
Old 08-15-2011 at 10:50 PM   #17
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

I'm in Health Science because I want to learn the science of health.

Old 08-15-2011 at 10:53 PM   #18
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgino View Post
Year One:

Life Science because I was rejected by Health Sci

Year Two:

Biochemistry because I was rejected by Health Sci

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." - Alexander Graham Bell

Old 08-15-2011 at 11:22 PM   #19
Vaidawg

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Year One:

Year Two:

Identity theft. We are the same people lmao.

Going into Biochem because Chembio sounded too hipster
Old 08-15-2011 at 11:30 PM   #20
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Quote:
Year One:

Year Two:

Aww. Maybe it wasn't meant to be.
Old 08-15-2011 at 11:40 PM   #21
Dave12

Liked: 6 Times

Music. Cause it's awesome.

Old 08-16-2011 at 12:29 AM   #22
tamititus

Liked: 1 Time

Nursing (so many, many, many reasons but here's a short summary). It's a rapidly evolving field with new opportunities, specializations, leadership roles and a changing scope of practice. I really want to be part of something that is transforming and growing; it's kind of exciting! Furthermore, I have always had a knack for human Biology and I grew up with a parent in healthcare so it has always seemed to be the obvious field to use this passion in. I also look to Nursing for my own personal development. I'm shy so I desire a career what will bring me out and help me become that strong confident person I strive to be. So...yea....Nursing.. .it's not JUST because I "want to help people".

epikness likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 12:29 AM   #23
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I came to Mac for French, but dropped that within the first few weeks.
I switched to a 4 year Political Science degree because I just didn't find anything else interesting. Then a Geography degree because I didn't know what to do with my Pol Sci degree. Now I'm going to college because neither of those fields interest me anymore
Old 08-16-2011 at 12:32 AM   #24
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

I'm entering first year life science because I was rejected by health science but I swear there is more to it than that. I still made the choice for Mac life science over all the other schools I was accepted to (health sci was my only rejection) because of the amount of options I would have for after level I. With the courses I am taking I am eligible for pretty much every level II program in the life sciences and physical sciences. This way I can discover what I like in year one and go from there. I'm still debating over whether I will bother trying for health sci again. :/

anon491 likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 12:32 AM   #25
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Year One:

Year Two:

I think god is trying to save you !

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

britb, Chevalier, epikness like this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 12:40 AM   #26
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

Life Sciences
Uberproud, can't wait for the year to begin ^^ meet new people who carry the same interests, as well as those who have cool ideologies and points of views.
Maybe something related in the health care field. Let the journey unravel what lies ahead!

epikness, mike4, rkb12 like this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 03:58 AM   #27
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

Commerce.

Has a great finance program, is accredited for CA, and has other HR programs that i can keep as backup in case i dislike finance and Accounting.

People find business very boring but its what clicks for me. I am really good with numbers, with people, and with presenting my ideas.

Accepted to: Mac Bus, Mac poli sci, Waterloo BBA/BCS, Waterloo B.Math/BBA.
Old 08-16-2011 at 04:27 AM   #28
SyrianFiona

Liked: 3 Times

Medical Radiation.
Because.
Old 08-16-2011 at 04:32 AM   #29
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrianFiona View Post
Medical Radiation.
Because.
Your real name is Syrian? what is your heart's name? Damascus?

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Salik, SyrianFiona, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 04:38 AM   #30
SyrianFiona

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Your real name is Syrian? what is your heart's name? Damascus?
Nope, Aleppo.