MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM

What's your program and why?

Old 08-16-2011 at 05:08 AM   #31
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrianFiona View Post
Nope, Aleppo.
KMT ... GURLLLL u must be really bad in geography.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-16-2011 at 06:46 AM   #32
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
If it's money, you are attending the wrong university.
How do you figure that?

Manny123 likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 07:00 AM   #33
SyrianFiona

Liked: 3 Times

[quote=L'Étoile;269051 ]KMT ... GURLLLL u must be really bad in geography.

Cool.
Old 08-16-2011 at 07:05 AM   #34
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

I'm in Health Science because fate decided so.

I applied to 0 other science programs, I applied only to engineering programs with the exception of BHSc. Funny how it all works out.
Old 08-16-2011 at 07:08 AM   #35
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Well I've graduated now but I was in health sci, minoring in psych.

Tbh I picked Mac more than I picked health sci (I didn't apply to any other Mac programs - the other programs were at Queen's, UWO and UTSG). I just liked the campus/atmosphere best at Mac. I'm minored in psych because it's extremely interesting to me.

As for the future, I'm starting vet school next month.

Last edited by inthemaking : 08-16-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2011 at 07:38 AM   #36
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

I'm in Honours Cognitive Science of Language because I love the material we study - the structure of language and its relationship with psych and whatnot. Whenever I learn something new, it feels like Christmas morning. Originally, I entered the program as it seemed like excellent preparation for SLP, but now, I want to be a prof, because I love what I'm studying too much to be anything else.

BlueWave likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 07:44 AM   #37
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

H. Math&Stats (Math Specialization), mostly because I've always been interested in the underlying ideas and theories behind math. Hoping to pursue some actuarial studies eventually. May also switch into a statistics specialization after second year. First year went well, here's hoping second goes well too!

Oh and the reaction I get from people when I tell them my major is funny too.

inb4Ewww math.

Last edited by Moghue : 08-16-2011 at 07:52 AM.

macsci likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 07:49 AM   #38
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Going through high-school I had always just naturally assumed I would end up in computer science/engineering. I was still interested in all the sciences, so I still took Bio/Chem/Physics in addition to my Programming/Comp Eng courses. I definitely enjoyed my computer classes but I started to realize I didn't have much.. "drive." Then I took grade 12 bio, and I was floored at how interesting it was to learn the inner workings of life itself, especially at a small scale. So I decided to forget about computing and half-way through grade 12 I decided I would apply to life sciences instead.

Coming in to university, relatively fresh with my passion for bio, I (wrongly) assumed that the only option available to me was to seek admission to medical school. After taking all my bio classes, psych classes, listening to professors, and seeing just how keen some keeners are, I realized a couple of things: 1) If you (truly) want to get into medical school, I think it has to be some kind of almost overbearing drive in your life. That wasn't there for me.
2) You can do more with your biology degree than become a physician
3) I was not particularly interested in physiology (ie it was not the most exciting prospect to me)

What I realized was that I was more fascinated with the molecular systems that control the functioning of life at a small scale. I found it utterly amazing how what we see on a large scale is all ultimately controlled by the same processes, and how similar all life is on the very small scale. So, with this knowledge, I knew I wanted to specialize (ie not go into Life Sci II or Bio II, I knew physiology wasn't going to be my pick, and I was a little bored of psych, so forget Biopsych...). What's left? Molecular Biology & Genetics!

So here I am! Got accepted to the co-op program and I am very excited to see what's in store for me. I'm finally done taking all the uninteresting/weed-out classes (I'm looking at you Organic Chemistry) and now I've got nothing on my schedule but bio (<3) and astronomy (I've always loved astronomy ever since I was a kid). Funny thing is, if I was better at calculus I might have gone in to physics/might be minoring in astronomy (more math would be needed... boo-hiss). So instead I'm minoring with a specialization in Origins + getting waivers to take astronomy courses :p

As for what the far future has in store for me... Probably grad school. I love the idea of really focusing and narrowing down my knowledge and actually making some contributions to science at large. Plus, the prospect of being out of school scares me. Lol.

BlueWave, luna, mike4, rkb12 like this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 08:40 AM   #39
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

In high school I fell in love with social sciences after taking the Anthro/Psych/Soci course. I knew I definitely wanted to major in sociology once getting to university. My initial goal was to go to law school, after realizing law might not be for me after doing research I was stuck about what I wanted to do. I was about to double major in sociology and health studies, with a focus on health economics/policy, and to my upset in second year they were no long offering those courses, I was told I could wait for them to be offered, but I decided to just take sociology. I also began to explore the option of the BA/BSW program, I was initially hesitant about getting into social work because it's emotionally draining, and at times, quite dangerous (I read an article this summer about how we're exposed to the most workplace violence right after police officers). However, my grandma who was Associate Director of Social Work at Sick Kids in the 80s/90s told me it's a lot different than what I think and if I love helping people then I should look into it.

So in second year I signed up for Social Work 1A06, I was expecting us to learn how to become counselors, and boy was I surprised. It was essentially an analysis of social problems, but with a more practical approach, discussing how to solve them. As opposed to sociology where we just look at a social problem with a theory. I loved how interdisciplinary it was, drawing on various disciplines in order to create social justice. I also decided to start some volunteer work in long term care, to see what I thought of human service work, and I loved it. I also discovered my love for working with older people. So I submitted my application into the program, wrote the SWAT and got in. I was going to switch my BA to Health, Aging and Society, but it would mean I would have a lot of catching up to do, so I decided to just stay with sociology.

Now I can say it's the best decision I made, we learn about all kinds of things such as social policy, human development across the lifespan, psychotherapy, social inequality and how to advocate and engage in the community. I also love the field education component, being able to learn outside of the classroom is so valuable. It's also nice to be graduating with two degrees, unlike most double majors, we get two pieces of paper, doesn't really mean much, but it gives me unwarranted self-importance

After graduating I'll be joining the College and I'll be a Registered Social Worker, I hope to find work within geriatrics, but I'm more than happy to find work anywhere.

tl;dr version: social work r00lz.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

sinthusized likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 09:26 AM   #40
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 255 Times

Political Science, cos I like disagreeing with people, even when I really agree with them.

Sociology, cos Mac doesn't have a Criminology program--but this is just as good.

Law school after graduation would be nice. Will likely end up attending Grad school instead.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 09:52 AM   #41
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Honours Biology.

Cause apparently I like to memorize stuff.

Flash AhhAhh, gmoney like this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 09:54 AM   #42
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I want to work for Shinra Corp.

(Mech Eng and Management rejected me, so Materials and Society with Business minor was as close as I could get.)

Old 08-16-2011 at 09:57 AM   #43
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

honours biology because im boss and it rhymes with biology.....?
Old 08-16-2011 at 10:18 AM   #44
Manny123

Liked: Liked 2 Times

The whole point of attending a university is to
A) Get an education
B) Turn that education into a living
Old 08-16-2011 at 10:40 AM   #45
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny123 View Post
The whole point of attending a university is to
A) Get an education
B) Turn that education into a living
good point, i know im here to get an education, but i have now clue as to how im going to turn it into a living ><

... ill expand in a bit ... after i get changed ... cus i just got out of the shower .... yea .....

btw
year1: life sci
year 2: h.bio w/ phio (mostly cus im lost)

Manny123 likes this.