MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM

What's your program and why?

Old 08-19-2011 at 12:04 AM   #76
mally

Liked: 4 Times

1st year: Life Science. I wanted to explore my career options other than medicine which turned out be good because I found that I really like the research aspect of science. But that doesn't mean medicine is out; I am now looking into MD/PhD programs instead of just MD! I found out I thoroughly enjoyed chemistry and biology and found the combination to be very interesting. Hence...

2nd Year: Biochemistry. Biochemistry was really the only place I could combine chemistry and biology together the way I wanted. I did take into consideration chemical biology as an option but the idea of using chemical techniques on biological systems was not what I wanted to do. Rather I wanted to take a biological system and then study its chemistry (hope the difference makes sense). Anyway, I really enjoyed 2nd year biochemistry - great courses, awesome professors and knowledgeable TAs who are always there to help. Then came 3rd year...

3rd Year: Biotech specialization and co-op. So I decided to do co-op and specialize in biotechnology. Co-op because I wanted to leave school for a while and apply my knowledge in the real life. It was also going to give me an opportunity to make contacts in the field of biochem and probably get some nice reference letters for med school application Biotech specialization because I like the idea of being able to manipulate genes...as in knocking out genes, cloning, working with stem cell cultures (will be doing this in a 4th year lab course) etc. Also I was planning on doing thesis any which way...so decided to stick with specialization as it allowed me to take some interesting biochem courses. So all in all it seemed like an interesting place to be and hopefully would help me further solidify my decision on applying for MD/PhD!

MirandaC likes this.
Old 08-19-2011 at 02:20 AM   #77
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

I'm in math because I like numbers

/thread
Old 08-19-2011 at 08:07 AM   #78
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I'm going to start my second year in Honours Biology and Psychology.

When I was younger, I was sure I was going to med school. Final year of High School, I found out that I couldn't willingly poke people with needles, and that made all my plans come crashing down around me. I'd already applied to Life Sciences as the first step to med school (Health Sciences? I hadn't even HEARD of that faculty) and went through with it and came here.

Only to find that at the end of the first year, I had to make more decisions - again (I really hadn't put that much thought into it). Toward the end of first term, I was thinking about Biology and Maths (or if I'd had the proper requisites, a full Maths and Stats degree). Then I started thinking about Biology with a maths minor...or wishing there was a Psychology and Maths degree. And then I wanted to minor in Linguistics, because it was the best first year course EVER.

But when the time came to actually choose programs, I got stuck between Honours Biology and Psychology, and Honours PNB, which I didn't choose because...well, it was a single major and I'm a masochist. But I knew I had to have Psychology in there, because that was the first time ever that I actually cared about what we learned outside of class. It was so surreal. I'd find myself spouting what we'd learned in class during normal conversation, and being bummed when I couldn't remember a particular statement or name. It was like a breath of fresh air. I couldn't imagine NOT doing Psychology after that. Biology...meh. BioPsych opens up far greater career paths than just plain PNB. Plus, I had no idea what to do with four electives...spend them on taking random courses I found interesting? Or actually work towards a viable minor, like Biology (which most of my peers were doing)? I didn't want to spend my /electives/ on /Biology/ (and Orgo), so I decided it was better to have less electives to spend on courses I actually like (that is, maths.)

So I'm still hoping to minor in maths. But after these four years? NO IDEA. I might still go to med school, or I might switch to Law, or I might just go ahead for an MBA, or maybe just continue in Psych. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by Faer : 08-19-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-20-2011 at 12:50 AM   #79
enarab

Liked: 22 Times

I chose Computer science because I want to hack the US security system.

....Or it just seems to fit my personality
Old 08-20-2011 at 08:51 AM   #80
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

I'm going into engineering because i like engineering stuff.

I think i decided i wanted to be an engineer in grade 11 or 12 based on a couple things:

1) Lego. I know every kid loves lego, but i fcking LOVED lego. I had absolute mountains of it and my parents enrolled me in the lego robotics course thing when i was like 10 and it was so boss.

2) I like building shit. I built a trebuchet, catapult, mangonel and a ballista in my spare time in grade 9 and 10 >_>

3) I'm pretentious and i think i'm better than everyone else. Which means i'll fit right innnnnnn. (because hey, everyone knows engineers > all)

I was thinking of going into physical sciences for a long time because i really like anything science related (minus biology) but my parents kinda didn't want me to.
Old 08-20-2011 at 11:25 AM   #81
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
I'm in math because I like numbers

/thread

MirandaC likes this.
Old 08-20-2011 at 11:49 AM   #82
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Science because my parents told me to.

Lol On a serious note: Physiology because the human body is simply incredible.
Old 08-20-2011 at 12:08 PM   #83
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Honours Life Science because I'm not sure yet what I want to do with my life and I didn't want to go into a program that was too specific where there would be too many required courses I wouldn't like. In Life Sci I have room for a lot of electives and can choose from pretty much any science course.
Old 08-20-2011 at 06:08 PM   #84
lux

Liked: 318 Times

In all seriousness and in light of this thread I would like to quote Carl Jung on seeking meaning in your lives,

"I have frequently seen people become neurotic when they content themselves with inadequate or wrong answers to the questions of life.

They seek position, marriage, reputation, outward success or money, and remain unhappy and neurotic even when they have attained what they were seeking.

Such people are usually confined within too narrow a spiritual horizon. Their life has not sufficient content, sufficient meaning.

If they are enabled to develop into more spacious personalities, the neurosis generally disappears."

- Carl Gustav Jung

What I think it means in modern times, is that if societal pressure leads to the suppression of your intrinsic personality type, you'll end up with a career in which you are unhappy and develop neurosis. Just keep that in mind when you make the important decisions in your life not only here at Mac, but also after you graduate.
Old 08-20-2011 at 06:54 PM   #85
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
In all seriousness and in light of this thread I would like to quote Carl Jung on seeking meaning in your lives,

"I have frequently seen people become neurotic when they content themselves with inadequate or wrong answers to the questions of life.

They seek position, marriage, reputation, outward success or money, and remain unhappy and neurotic even when they have attained what they were seeking.

Such people are usually confined within too narrow a spiritual horizon. Their life has not sufficient content, sufficient meaning.

If they are enabled to develop into more spacious personalities, the neurosis generally disappears."

- Carl Gustav Jung

What I think it means in modern times, is that if societal pressure leads to the suppression of your intrinsic personality type, you'll end up with a career in which you are unhappy and develop neurosis. Just keep that in mind when you make the important decisions in your life not only here at Mac, but also after you graduate.
That was random... and irrelevant

Entropy likes this.
Old 08-20-2011 at 09:07 PM   #86
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Life Sciences....I don't know why....

Phantom likes this.