MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about Whidden Hall... redasangay Whidden Hall Forum 12 01-03-2012 03:02 PM
Whidden Hall '11 summercandy Whidden Hall Forum 26 07-17-2011 10:39 PM
Whidden Hall '09 Chad Whidden Hall Forum 110 09-05-2009 02:12 AM
Whidden Hall '07 lorend Whidden Hall Forum 26 07-02-2008 05:39 PM

Whidden Hall- WHO IS RICO?!

Old 09-15-2011 at 02:39 PM   #1
kasia.madej

Liked: 0 Times

Whidden Hall- WHO IS RICO?!
In alot of the Whidden cheers "Rico" is mentioned, and we've been told that he is the "spirit of Whidden", but I heard there was another story... What is it and who is this Rico?!
Old 09-15-2011 at 03:16 PM   #2
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Rico is a tree, if I remember correctly
Old 09-15-2011 at 03:54 PM   #3
comte

Liked: 16 Times

It's also the currency before the time of the exams.

MiniDragon likes this.
Old 09-15-2011 at 03:56 PM   #4
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

rico.... suave

summercandy likes this.
Old 10-14-2011 at 09:25 PM   #5
lalonde

Liked: 0 Times

Response for "Rico" information
Rico is indeed a tree. It was first started as a joke by a person well known to me and former roommate of mine that has gone on to do bigger and better things in this world. My former roommate is one of the greatest of all Whiddenite's. He was Social Convenor in the days when Frosh Week was still, well, still Frosh Week.

Rico was meant to represent something else but a small tree was a suitable substitute. In Year 2 of Rico we convinced the rest of the on campus residence exec one week before Frosh Week to roam Cootes Paradise to look for Rico. They didn't know what they were doing, but because they were with us Whiddenite's they didn't care! We found a suitable Rico, and headed back to the residence. Exactly one week later, a full outbreak of poison oak occurred from roaming Cootes, infecting at least 20 people.

Rico morphed into the symbol of Whidden. Where other mascots could be easily stolen or destroyed (another story for another day), Rico could simply be replaced. It was, after all, a small tree of about 2 to 3 feet at the most. Rico was used extensively during the Frosh Week events, pep rally's, air bands etc. However at the end of 1993/1994 its peak fame diminished as the old guard moved off campus.
Old 10-14-2011 at 10:14 PM   #6
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalonde View Post
Rico is indeed a tree. It was first started as a joke by a person well known to me and former roommate of mine that has gone on to do bigger and better things in this world. My former roommate is one of the greatest of all Whiddenite's. He was Social Convenor in the days when Frosh Week was still, well, still Frosh Week.

Rico was meant to represent something else but a small tree was a suitable substitute. In Year 2 of Rico we convinced the rest of the on campus residence exec one week before Frosh Week to roam Cootes Paradise to look for Rico. They didn't know what they were doing, but because they were with us Whiddenite's they didn't care! We found a suitable Rico, and headed back to the residence. Exactly one week later, a full outbreak of poison oak occurred from roaming Cootes, infecting at least 20 people.

Rico morphed into the symbol of Whidden. Where other mascots could be easily stolen or destroyed (another story for another day), Rico could simply be replaced. It was, after all, a small tree of about 2 to 3 feet at the most. Rico was used extensively during the Frosh Week events, pep rally's, air bands etc. However at the end of 1993/1994 its peak fame diminished as the old guard moved off campus.
that's deep hohohoho
Old 10-14-2011 at 11:04 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

a mexican duh
Old 10-17-2011 at 08:09 PM   #8
g.o.p.a.l
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

^Loooool.

But thats a really deep meaning tbh. Obviously engineer came up with that :p