MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello Canada! Icethunder Introduce Yourself 17 06-21-2010 02:40 PM
Canada For Haiti Infinity Volunteering Opportunities 46 01-26-2010 06:35 AM
It's Canada Day Up Canada Way!! temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 2 07-01-2008 07:24 AM
Canada Day Fireworks Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-29-2007 07:42 AM

Why Is Canada So Sparcely Populated?

Old 06-21-2011 at 06:01 AM   #1
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Why Is Canada So Sparcely Populated?
I've always wondered this... ever since we colonized North America, Canada has always been friggin tiny compared to United States, and we don't seem to be expanding very much.. The US, on the other hand, has an expansive population, overcrowded cities, and in general, fills out the country more.

Is there not enough resources for us to fill out the provinces or something? (even Ontario)

I was just pondering this, but something I've always came back to thinking about a situation where its 20 years from now, world (ie. oil) supplies are dwindling, and all the countries will have a tendency to converge on the Arctic Circle (our north especially) to steal our stuff! Right now, our borders are secure, and countries respect one another, but I can forsee some justification for invading us, considering we're not doing all that much with our little corner of the globe...

Are you as concerned as I am that Canada will eventually become a target of encroachment by other superpowers?
Old 06-21-2011 at 08:23 AM   #2
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

no, I'm not as worried as you are. Remember, we're going to have fighter jets soon. We're good for security now that we have a conservative government. As for population, I don't want to live in a colder climate than I do now. I believe this is the case for other countries that have both moderate and colder climates within their country. If anything, Canada will have more pull in global matters because we have both the oil sands and arctic territory.
Old 06-21-2011 at 08:42 AM   #3
MCMashetty

Liked: 15 Times

Lol at the above comment. A conservative government couldn't prevent the onset of War anymore then a Liberal or a (God forbid) NDP government could. But you don't have to worry, Ryan C. I can't imagine any situation in which other countries decide the best option is invasion. The artic circle issue is actually being discussed right now, in conventions being held i think in Denmark? Not sure. Anyways, most of the countries involved (all NATO countries btw) have already drawn up conclusions on how they're going to divvy up the North, Canada included. While they're might be some political jostling in order to get as much territory as possible, I don't see it ending in war. Mostly because NATO countries don't go to war with each other.
Old 06-21-2011 at 08:48 AM   #4
MCMashetty

Also, Ryan, to add to your burgeoning paranoia, don't forget that not only do we have the Artic and the oilsands, we also have a plentiful supply of water. In fact, we have more water per person then any other country in the world. Add in the fact that water supplies world wide are dwindling rapidly, especially in the more dangerous countries, like Pakistan and Somalia, and presto! You have cause for war, and possible annihilation.:frantic :
Old 06-21-2011 at 09:20 AM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

It's cold up north, from what I've heard. More seriously, we don't really fret about borders in such explicit terms. There is a problem or two in the Arctic, though.

I think, however, that in a somewhat less diplomatic age the Canadian government basically shipped immigrants (mainly eastern Europeans and Germans) to western Canada and the Prairies to prevent American encroachment. Remember - the US wouldn't justencroach, they'd use that as an excuse to invade. The Mexicans learned that the hard way with Texas and California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMashetty View Post
In fact, we have more water per person then any other country in the world. Add in the fact that water supplies world wide are dwindling rapidly, especially in the more dangerous countries, like Pakistan and Somalia, and presto! You have cause for war, and possible annihilation.:frantic :
Oh no, soon we'll see Somali pirates just off of Hamilton harbour. Walking in Cootes will be restricted due to piracy.

Last edited by Mahratta : 06-21-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 11:36 AM   #6
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
no, I'm not as worried as you are. Remember, we're going to have fighter jets soon. We're good for security now that we have a conservative government. As for population, I don't want to live in a colder climate than I do now. I believe this is the case for other countries that have both moderate and colder climates within their country. If anything, Canada will have more pull in global matters because we have both the oil sands and arctic territory.

no liberals can't provide security. That is why we got almost taken over by the crab-people in the battle of Ottawa in 2005, thank god Harper took over in 2006.

On a serious note it is way to damn cold here. No one wants to live here

Old 06-21-2011 at 11:44 AM   #7
MCMashetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post

Oh no, soon we'll see Somali pirates just off of Hamilton harbour. Walking in Cootes will be restricted due to piracy.
JUST REMEMBER:

Caribean.jpg
pirates.jpg

KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE.

Last edited by MCMashetty : 06-21-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Old 06-21-2011 at 12:32 PM   #8
YungJoc

Liked: 7 Times

Try living any further north than Sudbury from November to March and then you will understand why Canada is so sparcely populated
Old 06-21-2011 at 12:50 PM   #9
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

yo guy why does no one live in Antarctica? Don't people know there is all that land down there just free for the taking?

Old 06-21-2011 at 02:33 PM   #10
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Because we're a cooler country!

Willmountain likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:44 PM   #11
enon

Liked: 10 Times

Why Is Canada So Sparcely (sic) Populated?

historically migration patterns have largely been about weather.

You are right though about the effect of global warming on the population. Once the Arctic Circle glaciers melt to the point where a shipping route to Northern europe and Russia open up, I can see tons more people moving North. Railroads are already being built there to accommodate the future increase in commercial traffic.
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:09 PM   #12
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
Because we're a cooler country!
Yeah. We're too underground for a large population.

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:28 PM   #13
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Too many penguins taking up space up north... Also I heard the flying hockey puck storms can get pretty bad around October-December.

Personally, I like Canada's population just the way it is. I'm a landscape kind of dude. I like to drive for 3 hours between big cities. Driving through the US last summer for a month was just so... weird. There was something everywhere all the time...
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:41 PM   #14
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
no liberals can't provide security. That is why we got almost taken over by the crab-people in the battle of Ottawa in 2005, thank god Harper took over in 2006.

On a serious note it is way to damn cold here. No one wants to live here
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...chor=ref853703

There are tons of threads why canada is a economic/world power thanks to Mr. Harper and the conservatives, so I will not repeat myself, but if you look back to 2005, this is the point where the Liberal party started to self destruct. No, liberals canceled a contract for new planes but cancelled, and the tax payers had to pay for it, so that statement is true Liberals can't provide security. Now with a conservative majority, we will have an elected senate, and will not have to stop the world from spinning because crown corporation unions decided they don't have enough. Look what happened in Europe and the U.S. Spain, Ireland, Greece. And look at that, i didn't even make up some nonsense to prove my point. (again look at some other threads on this topic)
Old 06-21-2011 at 07:27 PM   #15
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...chor=ref853703

There are tons of threads why canada is a economic/world power thanks to Mr. Harper and the conservatives, so I will not repeat myself, but if you look back to 2005, this is the point where the Liberal party started to self destruct. No, liberals canceled a contract for new planes but cancelled, and the tax payers had to pay for it, so that statement is true Liberals can't provide security. Now with a conservative majority, we will have an elected senate, and will not have to stop the world from spinning because crown corporation unions decided they don't have enough. Look what happened in Europe and the U.S. Spain, Ireland, Greece. And look at that, i didn't even make up some nonsense to prove my point. (again look at some other threads on this topic)
So because canada didn't buy some planes the liberals can't provide sevurity.

I'am sorry but what? liberal party has provided security several times in history. Trudeau against the internal conflict with FLQ, king during world war 2.......just to name a few.

Regardless two things to consider in this topic:

1) This is about external relations not internal so cut out the Canadian federal party crap.
2) you scare me.

Eternal Fire likes this.