MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Read Newest Post" Button MarkA Computers & Tech 3 07-07-2010 10:14 AM
McMaster TAs and RAs request "no board" report: Expected Deadline on or around Oct 30 dsahota General Discussion 174 10-21-2009 04:42 PM
New "Like This" Button Chad MacInsiders Announcements 38 07-10-2009 08:39 PM
Global 16x9 "Report" on Campus Reactors micadjems General Discussion 31 03-18-2009 09:37 PM
How many people are usually enrolled in a "limited enrollement program"? raine Academics 3 02-11-2009 07:16 PM

Why are people abusing the "report" button lately?

Old 09-26-2010 at 11:04 PM   #16
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

This is hilarious.
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:07 PM   #17
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

LOL, this thread has been so reported it doesn't make sense.

We need a screen

Go;

"HI"
"I am offended"
*Report*
Mod check "Really not that bad"
Still there

Last edited by jhan523 : 09-26-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Respect
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:12 PM   #18
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

This thread marks the first time I've seen a reported post NOT get deleted. I even randomly reported innocent, non-offensive posts previously (around the time I was speaking to jhan about it, not lately), and they were deleted. Nice to see someones using some discretion, finally.
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:17 PM   #19
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
LOL, this thread has been so reported it doesn't make sense.

We need a screen, instead of going

"HI"
"U offundedddddd mehhhhhhhh"
Doom

Go;

"HI"
"I am offended"
*Report*
Mod check "Really not that bad"
Still there
Personally, I'd prefer that the post stays intact and readable until reviewed and/or deleted by a mod, instead of the instant warning that it's been flagged. Seems much more in line with our "innocent until proven guilty" society mindset.

OR

keep the warning the way it is, add the name of the person that flagged it. No one likes confrontation, so reporting would be abused a lot less without the protection of anonimity.
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:22 PM   #20
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Honestly, what could someone say anonymously over the internet that's so bad that it has to be DELETED immediately, before the children see?!

We're all adults here. We're subjected to harsher realities than what people can say on this site, and no one should freakin' feel offended by anything written here.

I'm sure people will post racist/sexist/bigoted/whatever things, and those posts may warrant a deletion, but damn, lighten up.

doug, Entropy, reeves like this.
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:28 PM   #21
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

It's cause Reddit got the last of the mind bleach, Kamran.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

killza likes this.
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:28 PM   #22
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Honestly, what could someone say anonymously over the internet that's so bad that it has to be DELETED immediately, before the children see?!

We're all adults here. We're subjected to harsher realities than what people can say on this site, and no one should freakin' feel offended by anything written here.

I'm sure people will post racist/sexist/bigoted/whatever things, and those posts may warrant a deletion, but damn, lighten up.
actually I think this poster perfectly refutes what you are saying :
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Maybe people are offended by different things than you are.
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:30 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
This thread marks the first time I've seen a reported post NOT get deleted. I even randomly reported innocent, non-offensive posts previously (around the time I was speaking to jhan about it, not lately), and they were deleted. Nice to see someones using some discretion, finally.
I was too lazy to find the other post after I went through all (I think) the reported posts that were sent to me in my e-mail. I can't speak for the other mods but just so you know, I do read all the reported posts before making a decision on whether to delete, accept or edit it. The only reason why you think posts are always being deleted it because most of the time I'm online when there is a report and I accept it soon after. I've been busy this weekend and when I got online I was surprised to see something like 25 reported posts.

Quote:
Personally, I'd prefer that the post stays intact and readable until reviewed and/or deleted by a mod, instead of the instant warning that it's been flagged. Seems much more in line with our "innocent until proven guilty" society mindset.

OR

keep the warning the way it is, add the name of the person that flagged it. No one likes confrontation, so reporting would be abused a lot less without the protection of anonimity.
I think that it's better to have the post hidden while moderators view them rather than having them there. If the posts do break the rules then it's best that no one sees the post.

Not sure what I think about the second idea. I'm not against it but I'm not really for it either. In the end it's Chad's decision.

Chad, lorend all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:32 PM   #24
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

I think that it's better to have the post hidden while moderators view them rather than having them there. If the posts do break the rules then it's best that no one sees the post.
this is so when a post does get deleted we can't even see what it was that was questionable, or how harmless some posts that are deleted must be. it might be fun to see what makes it and what doesnt with the mac crowd
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:33 PM   #25
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

Not sure what I think about the second idea. I'm not against it but I'm not really for it either. In the end it's Chad's decision.
Like I said, just my personal preference. I just think either of them would take care of the issue of posts being flagged constantly.
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:40 PM   #26
killza

Liked: 105 Times

why don't we have something like, if the post is reported, it won't automatically show up on the page but instead be minimized into a bar where the user has the option of expending it with the title "Warning: this post has been reported and may contain offensive material", sorta like a spoiler thing but not really.

Old 09-26-2010 at 11:43 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
why don't we have something like, if the post is reported, it won't automatically show up on the page but instead be minimized into a bar where the user has the option of expending it with the title "Warning: this post has been reported and may contain offensive material", sorta like a spoiler thing but not really.
That's an interesting suggestion, pm Chad about it.
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:44 PM   #28
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I also read through every post unless another mod gets to it, before I decide.
Persoanl attacks (from one user to another) are finnicky business because they tend to escalate and you get a page of "Deleted because of..." posts after a day or two of the people getting sick of each other and the fights becoming uglier. That's why some ruder comments that aren't very extreme at all might be deleted earlier, to prevent the situation from escalating. It's fun to read but...that's why 4Chan exists.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-27-2010 at 12:04 AM   #29
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
WHat I dont get isnt so much the reporting, but the automatic deletion of any post that gets flagged. Just because someone cries about a post doesnt mean its actually offensive. Mods don't seem to want to look at the post in its context and make a decision, so they just delete it regardless. I PM'd jhan back and forth about it, and basically, thats the way its gonna stay.
I actually think I've approved more reported posts than I've deleted... I definitely read all the reported posts before taking action.

Its normally not as prominent abused as tonight, and it was made worse by the fact that I couldn't clear inapropriately reported posts from my phone. Normally there is a mod to address the problem right away.
Old 09-27-2010 at 12:22 AM   #30
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
This.

It's how YouTube, the stupid-comment-breeding-zone, handles things. If it works for something as big as YouTube, I don't see why it wouldn't work for us.

Also, it'd be fun to try something like this:

to filter out the really stupid comments. It too, worked for YouTube.

Last edited by Entropy : 09-27-2010 at 12:29 AM.