MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why are people abusing the "report" button lately? Ownaginatios General Discussion 49 09-27-2010 06:40 PM
McMaster TAs and RAs request "no board" report: Expected Deadline on or around Oct 30 dsahota General Discussion 174 10-21-2009 04:42 PM
"Economic Action Plan" signs on campus plutoz General Discussion 9 10-14-2009 12:46 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM
"Want to Join the Dopest Team on Campus?" - Dr. Phil Wood deadpool MSU & On-Campus Services 10 03-13-2009 09:54 AM

Global 16x9 "Report" on Campus Reactors

Old 03-13-2009 at 11:45 AM   #1
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Global 16x9 "Report" on Campus Reactors
http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/glo...6x9/video.html
Episode 107, first link

This is one of the most disgusting things I've seen on TV. I know that DannyV has written about this in his blog, and that many engineers have watched this and been either appalled, or thought it was hilarious

In any case, I hope this is not the direction Canadian media is going in.
Old 03-13-2009 at 12:03 PM   #2
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

OMG NOT A CAMPUS MAP!!!!
cause, ya know, not having any idea where you're going on campus is totally ok. and if there was no campus map they'd be like "why don't they have a map of campus? how useless!"
Old 03-13-2009 at 12:12 PM   #3
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

That was hilarious for the first minute or so, but then it just got pathetic.

How are they allowed to broadcast that garbage? They're going on and on about how there was no security. What, they expected armed guards along the entrance to campus, stopping everyone to determine their intentions? It's a university, you morons.

The map was a low point too. I guess they would have preferred it if they had just not labeled the reactor; because no one would ever know where it was otherwise. Or you could just label it "NOT THE REACTOR!".

Last edited by MarkA : 03-13-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2009 at 01:29 PM   #4
AndrewC

Liked: 0 Times

Lol wow....

I love how they compare it to the pickering power plant which also has to guard against actual vandalism and attacks.

Man terrorists are dumb, going through all the trouble to pay millions of dollars to buy nuclar weapons when they can just take a tour of Mac and shoplift all the materials they need. WOW.
McMaster University
Old 03-13-2009 at 02:14 PM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

they compare it to a plant that has 100x more volatile material than it does

there's no way they could make anything out of our stuff we have.... and its under about 35 feet of water!!
Old 03-13-2009 at 04:59 PM   #6
mgallant

Liked: 7 Times

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .

That made my day; thanks for the pick-me-up!
Old 03-13-2009 at 05:06 PM   #7
Maegs
Elite Member

and all the students in Keyes (i'm assuming that's the dorm they're referring to that's 100 metres away) are going to be teenaged mutant ninja turtles by the time they graduate
Old 03-13-2009 at 05:17 PM   #8
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

I've watched this show before, once, and was disgusted by how little scientific evidence thay provide for their "FACTS".

Yes, I agree, there should be security around these plants, for obvious reasons, but honestly, they pulled up to the old parking booth and wondered where the security guards are. Because clearly, last time I checked, we went to school at the CIA. Its a school! They dont have armed security at every entrance.

I hate how they play on uninformed people, especially playing on the "baby" issue. "Only 100m away is a nuclear reactor". What a bunch of idiots. Maybe they've been standing inside a reactor for so long.

Any they mentioned that they've been investigating this for 4 months...um...maybe they investigated it the same way I write essays. Tell myself I am gonna work on it a little each day on the first day, but end up doing the entire thing the night before.

Is there some kind of media control board or something to go over and beat the crap out of these "producers"? I want to know what mac is doing about this. PLUS, you need permission to film on campus, and she had a concealed camera. I'm wondering how they got away with that?

We, as students, should be more concerned about the potential bomb factory that is on our campus. As such, I think we should press the MSU to form a group to randomly tackle any person on campus and ask them their business with the reactor. I think the George Bush method would be best.

This garbage can be expected from FOX or similar networks, but from Global. I am ashamed.

Last edited by webzn : 03-13-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2009 at 06:39 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

LAME!

1) The responsible nuclear coalition guy said "If they [terrorists?] could get their hands on nuclear material" it would be dangerous. Key word: IF.

2) It's on a campus map. Uh...yes. So people know what the structure is, just like anything else. I think it would be more suspicious if it wasn't on there.

3) Nuclear Research building is not the same as nuclear reactor. To get into the actual reactor you need high level security clearance: very few people have it on campus.

4) I'm sure someone who wants to steal uranium is going to carry the neccessary equipment on their person and then jump into 30+ feet of water to get it. And no one is going to try and stop them.

Conclusion: Global is a crap "news" channel spreading more propaganda and BS

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-13-2009 at 07:09 PM   #10
Chris L

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
LAME!

1) The responsible nuclear coalition guy said "If they [terrorists?] could get their hands on nuclear material" it would be dangerous. Key word: IF.

2) It's on a campus map. Uh...yes. So people know what the structure is, just like anything else. I think it would be more suspicious if it wasn't on there.

3) Nuclear Research building is not the same as nuclear reactor. To get into the actual reactor you need high level security clearance: very few people have it on campus.

4) I'm sure someone who wants to steal uranium is going to carry the neccessary equipment on their person and then jump into 30+ feet of water to get it. And no one is going to try and stop them.

Conclusion: Global is a crap "news" channel spreading more propaganda and BS
That right there is the key. They make it seem like anyone off the street can come in and start conducting their own nuclear experiments

lorend says thanks to Chris L for this post.
Old 03-13-2009 at 07:10 PM   #11
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Hey I'm a Socsci student soo I don't have any background regarding all this but I have a feeling that the nuclear research at Mac Reactor can in no way be used to create a nuclear bomb? I mean creating weapons grade uranium/plutonium is no easy feat and takes large amounts of resources/expertise that is the reason countries like Iran/North Korea are still under process as far as becoming a nuclear power goes. Then also there is the chance of obtaining uranium to make a crude "dirty bomb" that doesn't do much damage apart from radiation panic, but for even doing that there are certain requirments right? Any "nuclear" science student around here?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 03-13-2009 at 07:41 PM   #12
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

lol. that part when she was entering the campus was pretty funny.
Old 03-13-2009 at 07:42 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I thought the part when the reporter/host did a hair flip after getting into the car was hilarious.

She seemed so proud of herself.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

myoozik says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 03-13-2009 at 07:47 PM   #14
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

you used to be able to get tours at pickering plant as well, until they got sued 10 years ago. That show is BULLS**T.
Old 03-13-2009 at 08:58 PM   #15
Maegs
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
That right there is the key. They make it seem like anyone off the street can come in and start conducting their own nuclear experiments
I totally conduct nuclear experiments when no one is looking, doesn't everyone? After all, it's soooo easy to get into the building!