MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When is Deferred Exam Grade Release? islytt Academics 1 06-24-2010 07:09 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM
Global 16x9 "Report" on Campus Reactors micadjems General Discussion 31 03-18-2009 09:37 PM
"Want to Join the Dopest Team on Campus?" - Dr. Phil Wood deadpool MSU & On-Campus Services 10 03-13-2009 09:54 AM
"Campus Free Speech in the Age of Terror and Multiculturalism" Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-02-2008 03:34 PM

"Economic Action Plan" signs on campus

Old 09-25-2009 at 12:30 PM   #1
plutoz

Liked: 9 Times

"Economic Action Plan" signs on campus
Any suggestions where I can register my disgust with the "Economic Action Plan" signs now popping up on campus?

This entire campaign is nothing more than partisan advertising paid for by the taxpayer to the tune of $4.5 million

The Toronto Star reported earlier this week that the "Action Plan" website is "in direct contravention of Treasury Board communications policy"
Old 09-25-2009 at 02:22 PM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoz View Post
Any suggestions where I can register my disgust with the "Economic Action Plan" signs now popping up on campus?

This entire campaign is nothing more than partisan advertising paid for by the taxpayer to the tune of $4.5 million

The Toronto Star reported earlier this week that the "Action Plan" website is "in direct contravention of Treasury Board communications policy"
I would go to David Sweet, the local MP. I've contacted him multiple times for various issues and he has always gotten back to me and discussed the issues that I had. For a conservative, he's a pretty decent MP.

Otherwise, you can't really do anything about posters being put up anywhere... free expression and such.
Old 09-25-2009 at 02:25 PM   #3
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

MPs are always approachable and really friendly. Whenever I have a government related issue of any kind, I harrass my MP.

They put up with it (and are quite helpful) because it's how they get re-elected. A lot of people don't think to bother their MPs, but they like doing that kind of thing since it means voter security.
Old 09-25-2009 at 03:51 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I haven't actually seen any on campus yet, do you know off hand any of the locations? I kindof want to take a look at them now.
Old 09-25-2009 at 05:15 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
For a conservative, he's a pretty decent MP.
Made me LOL hard. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Maegs likes this.
Old 09-25-2009 at 05:34 PM   #6
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Made me LOL hard. XD
Haha me too.
Old 09-25-2009 at 06:36 PM   #7
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Here's a CBC article I happened across about this issue

Quote:
The Liberals say there are a number of examples where the Tories have broken the rules. They point to reports that the Tories spent $40 million to advertise the Conservatives' economic plan — compared to just $6.5 million for H1N1 prevention.
[...]
But Andrew MacDougall, a PMO spokesman, said the advertisements are not political and that they adhere to all guidelines.

"The government advertises what the government does," he said.

MacDougall said the economic action plan, for example, included the biggest single stimulus program in history and it was important to advertise to get Canadians spending again to stimulate the economy.

plutoz likes this.
Old 09-25-2009 at 10:48 PM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Yes contacting your MP can usually prove to be very helpful. Even my MP Ruby Dhalla was helpful in the past when I've e-mailed her. It can take a while to get a response though, depending. Usually when I contact I get an immediate response from her people saying she will get the e-mail and respond asap. Then a bit later she e-mails back her response.

When contacting though depending on your issue you may need to contact your MP or MPP. Each one is in charge of different things based on whether it is covered under Federal or Provincial politics. I contacted Ruby Dhalla about the TTG last year and was informed that that type of question should be directed to my MPP Linda Jeffery as it was Provincial issue. Just a tip for anyone who wants to ask members of parliament questions.
Old 10-14-2009 at 10:45 AM   #9
plutoz

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
you can't really do anything about posters being put up anywhere... free expression and such.
The University is private property no? You don't see campaign signs being put up by candidates on campus during an election.... this is no different IMO. Someone at the University must have approved these signs being installed.

Actions speak louder than words, or in this case, signs.

If a particular political party insists on taking credit for doing what should be considered its job in government, let them do it on their own dime, and preferably during an election campaign. Stop wasting our tax dollars crowing about all the 'great' things you are doing, or plan to do.

I seriously doubt contacting David Sweet or any other CPC MP is going to result in any change in policy on this matter.
Old 10-14-2009 at 12:46 PM   #10
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoz View Post
The University is private property no? You don't see campaign signs being put up by candidates on campus during an election.... this is no different IMO. Someone at the University must have approved these signs being installed.

Actions speak louder than words, or in this case, signs.

If a particular political party insists on taking credit for doing what should be considered its job in government, let them do it on their own dime, and preferably during an election campaign. Stop wasting our tax dollars crowing about all the 'great' things you are doing, or plan to do.

I seriously doubt contacting David Sweet or any other CPC MP is going to result in any change in policy on this matter.
The university is also a community where thousands of people live. You might not see campaign signs up during elections, but that's because the students who live in residence don't ask for them. Each student could display a sign in their window if they chose to.

Also, candidates who are running for office don't really do much on campus because they know the voter turnout is dismal. They only have so much time and they focus said time on locations where voter turnout is higher.

IF somehow voter turnout was predicted to be much higher, then you would probably see the campus become highly politicized with red, blue, orange and green signs all over the place during an election.

Just because you don't think contacting our MP would do anything, doesn't mean it won't. It can't hurt to try. If you don't try, then nothing can be done about it.