MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why are people abusing the "report" button lately? Ownaginatios General Discussion 49 09-27-2010 06:40 PM
McMaster TAs and RAs request "no board" report: Expected Deadline on or around Oct 30 dsahota General Discussion 174 10-21-2009 04:42 PM
"Economic Action Plan" signs on campus plutoz General Discussion 9 10-14-2009 12:46 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM
"Want to Join the Dopest Team on Campus?" - Dr. Phil Wood deadpool MSU & On-Campus Services 10 03-13-2009 09:54 AM

Global 16x9 "Report" on Campus Reactors

Old 03-13-2009 at 10:35 PM   #16
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I thought the part when the reporter/host did a hair flip after getting into the car was hilarious.

She seemed so proud of herself.

hahaha I was just about to say. Everything about this reporter can be likened to an entertainment show anchor like Entertainment Tonight.

And she keeps on saying "carrying a large gym bag". Dear Lord. GASP, I saw a lady carrying a large gym bag walking towards me with an ominous look on her face, I MUST tackle her lest my university be blown to shreds.

The part where she mentions that the employees at the Montreal facility were "showing her how the reactors works" has the same effect of an Celebrity Tabloid Magazine twisting words to fit their story. I think this is a slap in the face to researchers who are doing CREDIBLE and IMPORTANT work. What a shame.

Making mountains out of molehills - slow news day I guess.

CBC FTW!

Last edited by myoozik : 03-13-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2009 at 10:56 PM   #17
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Mary Garofalo is an multiple Emmy Award-winning Canadian journalist. She currently is a senior producer for Global News, and hosts 16x9 - The Bigger Picture on Global TV. Garofalo previously worked for the American Fox Television affiliate WNYW and Citytv Toronto prior to that. She was also an television anchor and reporter for A Current Affair and for WPIX.

(From wikipedia)
Old 03-14-2009 at 04:18 AM   #18
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

"Our 4 month investigation started on wikipedia..."

I love how she talks about her bag. She's so proud of herself! Good job, you show us terrorists how it's done. You even played the part of someone trying to act suspicious, but you fell short. You should have been wearing a black ski mask; hell, just wear the whole ensemble!

Honestly though, I don't know how good our security is, but I'm pretty sure there are people monitoring these reactors (within and outside the building). Not to mention, just to remove the uranium from the water would be far more complicated than simply diving in and taking it out. The "actual" security involved in removing the uranium would be the tough part.

I can't say much for setting off a bomb (they mentioned that somewhere in the video about the french school and the concrete slab for the slowpoke) near the vacinity, but I'm not exactly sure if her short documentations account for credible information. If she were truly concerned about this, it wouldn't be taking point on a shitty 16x9 webisode. So to you; I give -3 hairflicks/5 lame reports. Now onto the highlight of 16x9; Wolfman

;A;

Last edited by RoyK : 03-14-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2009 at 02:33 PM   #19
kyu24

Liked: 0 Times

anyone else realize that their "expert" nuclear consultants are americans? like that guy from yale
Old 03-14-2009 at 02:56 PM   #20
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Also, he says that in the right configuration, uranium can be used in nuclear bombs. As I mentioned in my blog post, in the right configuration bleach and ammonia can be used as bombs too.

The amount of fear mongering blew my mind.
Old 03-14-2009 at 04:08 PM   #21
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
As I mentioned in my blog post, in the right configuration bleach and ammonia can be used as bombs too.
gasoline and fertilizer can make a bomb (anfo bombs)
Old 03-16-2009 at 09:56 AM   #22
owenadam

Liked: 0 Times

From the show's website
"Mary Garofalo ... was most recently a Senior Investigative Correspondent for FOX News in New York."

Mystery solved

lorend, thedog123123 all say thanks to owenadam for this post.
Old 03-16-2009 at 02:15 PM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

HAHAHAHA.

Oh man. And I bet she feels like she was the one who got demoted...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-16-2009 at 04:38 PM   #24
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

The level of EPIC STUPIDITY is amazing. Here's professional journalism hard at work for you folks!

1) Lets tell everyone how anyone can walk in off the street into the reactor, lets not mention how you need high level security access that is specific to your physical body, or the fact that the reactor and all the other buildings on campus are under 24/7 monitors including silent alarms and cameras. No, lets not mention that at all.

2) Yes, IF they could get their hands on this material it would be a shit show. IF!

3) McMaster's reactor is a RESEARCH REACTOR it is NOT generating power to supply anything other than a damn light bulb. Get over it.

4) OOOOOH a campus map showing where the building is! Cause you know, you couldn't figure that out on your own by walking around. Is this the idea where if it's not on the map then maybe people will think that it doesn't exist?

5) WHY would we have a security booth at each entrance? WHY? Are we going to frisk people before they come in? Make them state their business? It's not like Security Services doesn't already have enough things to follow up on, no lets put people in booths to interrogate visitors as they enter. Yup, great idea.

If you have "business" at the reactor, you go to the Reactor Building where you have to sign in and be verified before you're let in anywhere else. You also have to be accompanied by someone who has access to the various parts of the reactor.

6) No, we don't have barbed wire and fences around our reactor. 12 foot thick cement walls are pretty sufficient. And we also have 24/7 surveillance.

7) Yes, you walked around a building connected to the reactor. OOOOOH. Did you see any radio active material? Were you able to walk into any labs? No. If it doesn't require special access permission then clearly there's nothing dangerous there you moron.

8) You're on a TOUR! You're on CAMERA EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. There is no radioactive materials that you can get your hands on, unless you brought your scuba gear.

9) Yes, in 1994 someone made a mistake. Nothing blew up, no one died. Again, get over it. Accidents happen, every day, no one is perfect.

Last edited by kokosas : 03-16-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2009 at 07:10 PM   #25
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
5) WHY would we have a security booth at each entrance? WHY? Are we going to frisk people before they come in? Make them state their business? It's not like Security Services doesn't already have enough things to follow up on, no lets put people in booths to interrogate visitors as they enter. Yup, great idea.
Not to mention they were driving along a public bus route... let's try to get security to identify everyone who takes the bus through campus.

That actually sounds like a fun challenge. Someone should try that one day.
Old 03-16-2009 at 08:11 PM   #26
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

that reactor can power more then a light bulb .
Old 03-16-2009 at 09:15 PM   #27
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

I'm pretty sure it has like a 5 watt output or something outrageously small like that

Old 03-16-2009 at 09:48 PM   #28
mgallant

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
I'm pretty sure it has like a 5 watt output or something outrageously small like that
5 megawatts, no?
Old 03-16-2009 at 09:51 PM   #29
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallant View Post
5 megawatts, no?

hehe oopsies

Old 03-16-2009 at 10:32 PM   #30
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

I'm so embarassed that Global is a Canadian network, and this is what they're "reporting" on.

Like another poster said about getting into the university.. Sure, the reporter was able to drive in without anyone checking her. BUT it was the bus route. Are they going to get on every single bus that comes on campus (which is like one bus every 3 minutes) and check the ID of every single person?

This woman is an embarassment!