MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Read Newest Post" Button MarkA Computers & Tech 3 07-07-2010 10:14 AM
McMaster TAs and RAs request "no board" report: Expected Deadline on or around Oct 30 dsahota General Discussion 174 10-21-2009 04:42 PM
New "Like This" Button Chad MacInsiders Announcements 38 07-10-2009 08:39 PM
Global 16x9 "Report" on Campus Reactors micadjems General Discussion 31 03-18-2009 09:37 PM
How many people are usually enrolled in a "limited enrollement program"? raine Academics 3 02-11-2009 07:16 PM

Why are people abusing the "report" button lately?

Old 09-27-2010 at 06:15 AM   #31
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Wow, can we stop comparing everything to 4chan when it's so ****ing obvious that 95% of you probably have never even been to /b/?

And oh yes, there's a big difference between 4chan and /b/. Learn it.

In the meanwhile, unless we start posting child pronography and figuring out people's addresses and harassing them irl, let's stop the comparison. It makes you look retarded.

If I haven't made it clear enough, any of you regular folk that keep comparing this site to 4chan are the type of people that would kill themselves after actually visiting /b/. Go post your picture to be rated.

This is NOT /b/.

(seriously, if you guys think I'm mean....)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 09-27-2010 at 06:18 AM.

Alchemist11, DannyV, RyanC, samd like this.
Old 09-27-2010 at 09:21 AM   #32
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Hey all,

I'll look into doing the 'collapsed' reported post idea. I think it's a great idea.

However, note that most of the time when users report posts they have reason to and the majority of the time they are right. Our Code Of Conduct is pretty straight forward and what makes this forum NOT some spammy hate fest. It's what sets MI apart, bringing inclusivity and a positive discussion environment, especially for first-year students who would like to ask questions. Have you seen YouTube comments? What people say on there is a mess. The reporting system has a purpose, and that is to stop users who post harsh, flaming, or trolling comments or anything breaking the forum rules. Posting that kind of stuff is not what this forum is about.

If a user false reports posts and abuses the system they will banned. Moderators do read every reported post and make a decision on whether they violate the forum rules. Trust them. If it isn't breaking the Code Of Conduct it will be approved and restored, and the user that false reported it will be banned or warned.

In the meantime, keep a look out for the feature of having reported posts show as collapsed.

Alchemist11, lorend, Marlowe all say thanks to Chad for this post.

lorend likes this.
Old 09-27-2010 at 02:02 PM   #33
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Ok, reported posts now have a link in them to view the original post. Do not report posts to test the feature please. You can report my reply below to see how it works.

Entropy says thanks to Chad for this post.

eullwm, Yakattack like this.
Old 09-27-2010 at 02:03 PM   #34
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

This is a test post that can be reported to view the feature in action.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aliquam ac libero in lacus semper ornare vitae a sem. In sollicitudin pharetra arcu nec scelerisque. Suspendisse tempor tincidunt commodo. Nulla facilisi. Nunc ut tortor nunc. Phasellus in diam nec nibh placerat suscipit ac non turpis. Morbi vitae luctus tellus. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Quisque ante massa, blandit a ullamcorper vel, tincidunt quis magna. Donec sodales iaculis orci, at auctor ipsum condimentum nec. Suspendisse eleifend luctus mauris vitae iaculis.
Integer eleifend dapibus lacus, id tempus est congue pulvinar. Nunc mattis mi vel nunc sodales in pharetra est malesuada. Duis urna diam, sollicitudin vitae dapibus in, vulputate et justo. Pellentesque bibendum placerat nulla, a fringilla tellus porta eget. Donec rhoncus odio ut arcu mollis gravida. Maecenas semper, dui ut varius placerat, enim urna vulputate erat, sit amet semper lacus est nec nisi. Phasellus volutpat lorem placerat orci posuere cursus. Ut placerat mi ac eros dapibus tempor. Praesent at orci eros, vitae faucibus risus. In blandit, tellus gravida vehicula consectetur, velit eros molestie lacus, sed congue arcu felis et arcu. Aenean ornare risus mauris. Morbi nisl purus, dictum vel bibendum quis, molestie sed mauris. Vestibulum lobortis mi sed turpis eleifend ornare molestie turpis vehicula. Praesent a hendrerit mauris. Vivamus in risus est, ut posuere tellus. Praesent sodales lobortis feugiat. Maecenas leo ipsum, porta gravida porta sit amet, cursus in neque.
Old 09-27-2010 at 03:17 PM   #35
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

I made a post saying "Why is everyone fighting? Can't we all just get along?"
And it was deleted. I don't understand why, censorship is ruining these boards, I don't get why there has been so much of it in the past few months, when before that it was fine. I think part of it has to do with the new moderators being too keen and eager, taking their positions way too seriously.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 09-27-2010 at 03:24 PM   #36
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

For realz, I would much rather the ****ing glitchyness be fixed than getting to read flagged posts.

Old 09-27-2010 at 03:26 PM   #37
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Glitchyness?
Old 09-27-2010 at 03:27 PM   #38
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Glitchyness?
The "change how many posts you can see to see new posts" thing. Only really seems to happen when posts get deleted.

Old 09-27-2010 at 03:31 PM   #39
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
I made a post saying "Why is everyone fighting? Can't we all just get along?"
And it was deleted. I don't understand why, censorship is ruining these boards, I don't get why there has been so much of it in the past few months, when before that it was fine. I think part of it has to do with the new moderators being too keen and eager, taking their positions way too seriously.

Where did you make the post "Why is everyone fighting? Can't we all just get along?"? Can you paste the link to the thread? I will see which mod deleted it and restore it. All posts that were 'deleted' by moderators are still viewable by staff for a period of time so that we can look at them in situations like this. As far as I can see, I can't find the post from the last 30 days of posts you made.
Old 09-27-2010 at 03:31 PM   #40
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Glitchyness?
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...7.html?t=33557

Did you not know about this?
Old 09-27-2010 at 03:34 PM   #41
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Where did you make the post "Why is everyone fighting? Can't we all just get along?"? Can you paste the link to the thread? I will see which mod deleted it and restore it. All posts that were 'deleted' by moderators are still viewable by staff for a period of time so that we can look at them in situations like this. As far as I can see, I can't find the post from the last 30 days of posts you made.
I believe it was this thread:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...s-33478p5.html

There were a ridiculously large amount of posts deleted in this thread by moderators, there's almost as many deleted posts as there are intact posts, it's kind of REALLY REALLY stupid.
Old 09-27-2010 at 03:53 PM   #42
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Hi Souldier,

I didn't get a chance to read that thread until now, but here is the breakdown for you for what was removed after going through each page of the thread:

Removed posts for breaking COC:

- "gays have no life"

- "By the way, are you perchance the person that stole my bike? And are you black?"

And the only other threads removed was a long string of replies that were completely off-topic talking about lawleypop's gender, such as:

- "*sigh* if only you were born a with a dick..." etc

Going off-topic and 'drifting' a thread is against the Code Of Conduct, read Section 8, it clearly states (see underlined sentence):
Quote:
Thread Drifting/Steering: Please keep discussions on topic. It is crucial to keep content clear and concise. If a thread drifts off-topic, a Staff member may split the thread or delete certain portions in order to keep the discussion going. It is recommended that if you have a different or similar topic that you would like to bring up, that you start a new thread and link to that thread from the old one to direct users who would like to discuss your new topic.
Jeremy saw this off-topic conversation and removed it in order to keep the thread on topic.

The original poster asked this question "when a guy/girl get involved in a relationship, do you think this means that they have to stop hanging out with their friends who are of opposite sex?". Does talking about Lawleypop's gender help answer the original poster's question? No. So it was deleted. Seems pretty fair to me. Jeremy did his duty as a moderator and followed the rules.

Your post in the thread which followed the conversation above read:

Quote:
This thread turned sour, can everybody stop fighting? Can't we all just get along?
Which Jeremy removed with the other posts, since if he left it in then it would no longer be in context as the thread was no longer 'sour' once that off-topic conversation was removed.

Souldier says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 09-27-2010 at 03:57 PM   #43
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

LOL...
Who reported those posts? o_o
Funny stuff.

Old 09-27-2010 at 04:08 PM   #44
reeves
Jedi IRL