MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Read Newest Post" Button MarkA Computers & Tech 3 07-07-2010 10:14 AM
McMaster TAs and RAs request "no board" report: Expected Deadline on or around Oct 30 dsahota General Discussion 174 10-21-2009 04:42 PM
New "Like This" Button Chad MacInsiders Announcements 38 07-10-2009 08:39 PM
Global 16x9 "Report" on Campus Reactors micadjems General Discussion 31 03-18-2009 09:37 PM
How many people are usually enrolled in a "limited enrollement program"? raine Academics 3 02-11-2009 07:16 PM

Why are people abusing the "report" button lately?

Old 09-27-2010 at 04:09 PM   #46
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

They were removed without being reported. Moderator saw the drifting posts and removed them to keep thread on topic. Posts don't need to be reported to be removed if a moderator finds they are violating the Code Of Conduct.
Old 09-27-2010 at 04:11 PM   #47
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Hi Souldier,

I didn't get a chance to read that thread until now, but here is the breakdown for you for what was removed after going through each page of the thread:

Removed posts for breaking COC:

- "gays have no life"

- "By the way, are you perchance the person that stole my bike? And are you black?"

And the only other threads removed was a long string of replies that were completely off-topic talking about lawleypop's gender, such as:

- "*sigh* if only you were born a with a dick..." etc

Going off-topic and 'drifting' a thread is against the Code Of Conduct, read Section 8, it clearly states (see underlined sentence):
Jeremy saw this off-topic conversation and removed it in order to keep the thread on topic.

The original poster asked this question "when a guy/girl get involved in a relationship, do you think this means that they have to stop hanging out with their friends who are of opposite sex?". Does talking about Lawleypop's gender help answer the original poster's question? No. So it was deleted. Seems pretty fair to me. Jeremy did his duty as a moderator and followed the rules.

Your post in the thread which followed the conversation above read:

Which Jeremy removed with the other posts, since if he left it in then it would no longer be in context as the thread was no longer 'sour' once that off-topic conversation was removed.
Thanks for the detailed response, I agree racist and homophobic comments should not be allowed, but moderating tends to be too subjective, sometimes posts which actually add a lot to the discussion in threads are deleted because they might come off as offensive to a couple of overly sensitive people.
Old 09-27-2010 at 04:27 PM   #48
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
sometimes posts which actually add a lot to the discussion in threads are deleted because they might come off as offensive to a couple of overly sensitive people.
Holy shit. I actually agree with Souldier.
Old 09-27-2010 at 05:43 PM   #49
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Well now hopefully other users will continue to be able to read posts that get reported as 'offensive' using the collapsable/uncollapsable feature and those who are easily offended can ignore those collapsed posts.
Old 09-27-2010 at 06:05 PM   #50
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

lmaooo this is pretty funny
Old 09-27-2010 at 06:40 PM   #51
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Ok, reported posts now have a link in them to view the original post. Do not report posts to test the feature please. You can report my reply below to see how it works.
You can't like/thank reported posts.