MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Volunteer with Kids nuttynatz Clubs & Groups 1 10-11-2009 08:45 PM
Volunteer Abroad dacrown4life General Discussion 2 07-13-2009 11:25 AM
Volunteer Opportunities @ MAC Infinity General Discussion 12 06-26-2009 09:48 AM

Why should you volunteer?

If you graduated from a high school in Ontario, you would have had to complete 40 hours of community service in order to receive your diploma. Now for some, this was an easy and fun task and they achieved way over the required amount. But then for some, it was quite the treacherous task and they let out a huge sigh of relief when they hit the 40 hour mark.

Whether you enjoyed it or not, everyone has served as a volunteer. This article is targeted solely towards those who see no point or have no interest in donating their time to an organization. To get it out of the way, I’m going to go right ahead and state the obvious truth about volunteering. A volunteer is in fact providing free labour.

To the money-obsessed people out there, they see no benefit to them to donate their time. However, being a volunteer can provide you with things that actually have more value than money:

1. Not only are you helping the organization, you are helping yourself get ahead in life
  • Volunteer work looks excellent on a resume and sets you apart from others when applying for a job
  • Learn a number of beneficial skills including time management, organization, communication skills, etc that are all very attractive to an employer

2. Create a larger social network
  • Through volunteering you expand your group of friends and get to meet people that could help you with your future endeavours. At this age, it is very good to start networking with people that could connect you to some exclusive jobs and other things later on. You also build up your list of references who can speak highly of you for jobs you want to apply for

3. Volunteering allows you to become more comfortable with your school and helps to eliminate any feelings of homesickness
  • As you learn more about your school, meet people and have fun, you will realize that you don’t miss home as much, and you will even look forward to being at school

And last but not least, I can personally say that the biggest benefit about volunteering is self-fufillment. Nothing can compare to that feeling of knowing that you helped to make a difference in the world and your contribution may have changed the life of a single person.

Can receiving a large amount of money compare to this feeling? I think not. Now go out there and make a difference!

Published by
Communications Intern

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-18-2010 at 10:50 AM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
I volunteer because I learn something from it - even in my less than interesting placements in the past, I've been provided the opportunity to grow and gain something from my work, even if it is just being patient or not falling asleep on a long shift.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 09-18-2010 at 10:50 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Although this was mentioned in the article, I wanted to reiterate the point that volunteer experience is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT when you start looking for jobs - both summer, part-time and post-graduation.

If you use myself as an example, I've been VP at MI for over three years now. And as a result, I've learned a LOT of skills I've been able to apply to different work settings - time management, editing, volunteer management, budgeting, event planning, PR etc - many skills that are hard for students to otherwise attain.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-18-2010 at 01:48 PM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.
Program: ???
Year: Other
Residence: ???

Liked: 611 Times
Now, we all know how important it is the volunteer.

The problem is many institutions make it ridiculously hard or competitive to get a volunteering position, and often only take in people who have experience.

Yashoda likes this.

Old 09-18-2010 at 04:07 PM   #5
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie
Program: Honours English and History
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 521 Times
I do agree that it is important to volunteer, but I hate it when organization or companies bank on this as an opportunity to recruit slaves. Kids put up with a lot of crap to get a sexy resume.
Old 09-18-2010 at 04:08 PM   #6
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 143 Times
I made a social website for volunteers - http://jollybug.org. It's still young, but if word spreads it can be very useful for doing all sorts of amazing things.
Old 09-18-2010 at 04:12 PM   #7
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie
Program: Honours English and History
Year: Fourth

Liked: 521 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I made a social website for volunteers - http://jollybug.org. It's still young, but if word spreads it can be very useful for doing all sorts of amazing things.

That is so cool. Kudos on making it.
Old 09-18-2010 at 04:14 PM   #8
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
That is so cool. Kudos on making it.
Thanks sign up, tell your friends, it would really help!

AelyaS likes this.
Old 09-18-2010 at 05:45 PM   #9
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Great Article! But I think your last aspect: "Self Fulfillment"/Making a Difference should not be overlooked. I would actually personally rather not volunteer if its just for my resume or for making friends, as the few privileged enough in society to have access to Post Secondary Education we have a responsibility for ourselves and wider society to give back and make a difference.

I understand that going above and beyond your call of duty to give in that extra bit might not show on your resume more than just a line but it'll make you feel much better. You just gotta try it out, I've been very involved with the MSU since my first year and I don't regret it even the slightest.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

lorend likes this.
Old 09-21-2010 at 08:19 AM   #10
Rampea2
Program: Linguistic Cognitive Science & Psychology
Year: Third

Liked: 3 Times
A great way to find some volunteering opportunities on campus is to come to the new Student Success Centre - Gilmour Hall, room 110.

There are opportunities through Community Service-Learning, Civic Engagement and Leadership in Hamilton and abroad. Through MacServe, you can get in touch with some really great organizations in constant need of volunteers. There are also longer trips organized during reading week to places like New Orleans.

The Student Success Centre also has volunteer peer helpers that could help you find volunteer positions that would match your interests.

Article Tools