MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CHEM 2OC3&2OD3 in comparision to 2OA3&2OB3 SashDoods Academics 12 06-12-2010 09:05 PM

willing to trade CHEM 2OD3 for 2OB3

Old 08-16-2010 at 03:30 PM   #1
0t10

Liked: 0 Times

willing to trade CHEM 2OD3 for 2OB3
So anyone up for trading places with me?? i kinda like chem labs (yes, i know its weird but what can i say).

We cud set up a drop and pick up time or something. Please msg me if interested or if ur dropping it b/c u hate labs or watever.

Old 08-16-2010 at 03:56 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I believe chem 2OC3 and 2OD3 are intended for people actually in honours chemistry. The chem people have a separate lab course that incorporates orgo labs into it. Anyone can still register for 2OC3/2OD3, but it's primarily the chem kids that take it--I've never heard of anyone not in chem taking them. Everyone else tends to take 2OA3 and 2OB3.
Your program is listed as life sci, but 2OC3 and 2OD3 aren't on the life sci course list, so they'll count as electives instead of required courses towards your degree.

You can try emailing the chem dept and tell them you registered in the wrong one and see if they can switch you. If not, a bunch of people will fail 2OA3 and will have to drop 2OB3, so it should open up in December

0t10 says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-16-2010 at 04:01 PM   #3
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Yup, 2OD3 is for honours chemistry people BUT my friend who's in honours biology is taking 2OC3 (also intended for honours chem). Apparently she had the choice between 2E03, 2OA3 or 2OC3. The thing is, there's only 22 people registered in 2OC3 (I checked classlist on avenue) so I don't think the course is full. But goodluck, I hope it works out.

0t10 says thanks to amyshi for this post.
Old 08-16-2010 at 04:10 PM   #4
0t10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
..... but 2OC3 and 2OD3 aren't on the life sci course list, so they'll count as electives instead of required courses towards your degree. ...

i know, i'm also worried abt that. i dont really wanna use up my electives for sciency subjects. wanna keep them for linguistics and anthropology and stuff.....if, by some miracle, i am able to get in.

i heard that chem 2oa3 and 2ob3 deal more with proteins and carbohydrates etc....i really want to do labs like that. i just loved the chem 1aa3 labs btw.
Old 08-16-2010 at 04:13 PM   #5
0t10

um, abt emailing to the chem dept, do i use this one; [email protected] ? or is it some other one. never really had to request for a course before
Old 08-16-2010 at 04:16 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t10 View Post
i know, i'm also worried abt that. i dont really wanna use up my electives for sciency subjects. wanna keep them for linguistics and anthropology and stuff.....if, by some miracle, i am able to get in.

i heard that chem 2oa3 and 2ob3 deal more with proteins and carbohydrates etc....i really want to do labs like that. i just loved the chem 1aa3 labs btw.
If you want to learn about proteins and carbs you are better off learning biochemistry courses.

Chem 2OA3 deals with Acids & Bases, Alkanes/Cycloalkanes, Stereochemistry, Substitution/Elimination, Alkenes/Alkynes, Radicals, Alcohols, Ethers

Chemistry 2OB3 deals with Alcohols, Aldehydes, Ketones, Aromatic Compounds, Carbohydrates (Like 1 week, you don't learn much), Carboxylic Acids, Amino Acids/Proteins (Again, 1 week worth of material), Dicarbonyls, Amines.
Old 08-16-2010 at 04:21 PM   #7
0t10

yea, i know abt that. i plan to take a lot of biochem courses too but i cant take any biochem courses with labs....every course which had a lab is restricted to those in Hon. Biochem programs

oh and plus i intend to give the MCAT so i gotta have 2nd year orgo for it
Old 08-16-2010 at 04:32 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t10 View Post
um, abt emailing to the chem dept, do i use this one; [email protected] ? or is it some other one. never really had to request for a course before
[email protected] aster.ca

or you can email Cathy Bottos, listed here: http://www.chemistry.mcmaste r.ca/people/contact

I believe some (if not all) of the emails sent to [email protected] aster.ca are directed to her, and she's very helpful, so either email address should work

0t10 says thanks to nerual for this post.