MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wind mobile? Linh Computers & Tech 41 09-06-2010 06:44 PM
Introducing MacInsiders Mobile Chad MacInsiders Announcements 15 08-25-2010 08:06 AM
Wind aa84 Computers & Tech 1 08-23-2010 11:40 PM
Wind Mobile Shows Photos Of Store Chad MacInsiders Announcements 61 12-17-2009 04:14 PM
Wifi on windows Mobile smartphone garyyc General Discussion 4 10-23-2009 01:09 PM

Wind Mobile update??

Old 03-21-2010 at 12:05 PM   #1
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Wind Mobile update??
Now that wind mobile has been in the market for almost 4 months, how many of you have switched to wind mobile? I know they were having some connection problems when they started but is that still going on? Share your wind experience here!

How many of you are actually thinking about switching to Wind soon?

I must say, they have some lucrative offers.
Old 03-21-2010 at 12:26 PM   #2
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

I'm still in a contract until Sept of next year, I like being with Telus though, I've never had a problem with them really, the one time they double billed me because I had switched my plan halfway through the month... the guy was like, well it'll problably be automatically credited on your next bill, but I'm gonna give ya the credit anyways, and you might just end up with 2 credits...and I did, it was nice....
But, I may look into WIND mobile when the time comes, just to see, it's good to shop around.

and honestly, contracts aren't that bad in my opinion...
because even if you buy the phone outright, after 3 years you're going to need a new phone anyways.... so why not get the phone for free if you're going to have it for 3 years either way...
makes sense in my head lol... but contracts do suck if you're not happy with the company you're with I guess....
and now I'm rambling...
Old 03-21-2010 at 02:33 PM   #3
mallo788
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Wind Mobile is only good if you live in Toronto, Calgary or Edmonton. The way their service is set up is through "Home Zones" (the listed 3 cities). If you are in one of these home zones, then everything is unlimted. If you are outside a home zone (in Hamilton, for example), you pay for everything - every call you make or text you send. So on top of paying for an 'unlimited' plan, you will pay for every call, text, etc you do outside of the home zone.

l.esho says thanks to mallo788 for this post.
Old 03-21-2010 at 02:51 PM   #4
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

I thought I saw a Wind Mobile store in Jackson Square but didn't have time to go in and look.....has anyone checked it out?
Old 03-21-2010 at 02:59 PM   #5
larp

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallo788 View Post
Wind Mobile is only good if you live in Toronto, Calgary or Edmonton. The way their service is set up is through "Home Zones" (the listed 3 cities). If you are in one of these home zones, then everything is unlimted. If you are outside a home zone (in Hamilton, for example), you pay for everything - every call you make or text you send. So on top of paying for an 'unlimited' plan, you will pay for every call, text, etc you do outside of the home zone.
Hamilton is in the same home zone as Toronto. I've had it for about 2 months now and never had issues on and off campus.

l.esho says thanks to larp for this post.
Old 03-21-2010 at 03:04 PM   #6
mallo788
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by larp View Post
Hamilton is in the same home zone as Toronto. I've had it for about 2 months now and never had issues on and off campus.
Good to know! They should really make that more clear on the home zone map on their website.
Old 03-21-2010 at 04:08 PM   #7
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by larp View Post
did you get your phone from hamilton or toronto? I'm looking into getting wind soon as well
Old 03-21-2010 at 05:03 PM   #8
cowcow

Liked: 2 Times

In my opinion for the time being, WIND is only good if you either 1) don't talk alot or b) stay in the home zone all the time since if you ever decide to leave the home zone, you have to pay roaming charges. However, it's nice to have some competition in the wireless industry as this gives you leverage to negotiate with Rogers, Bell or Telus for better plans.

If you look at the plans that Wind give, they aren't that cheap. The only good plan with WIND is their cheapest plan at $15. All the other plans are actually more expensive than what you can negotiate for with Rogers, Bell etc. As for the argument about long distance calls, you can always get ld minutes and then have Rogers, Bell etc to credit it so you don't have to pay for ld.
Old 03-21-2010 at 05:30 PM   #9
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Their $35/unlimited data add-on is pretty good if you find yourself using a lot of that, especially since the closest thing (Rogers/Fido's $30/6gb) isn't always offered.

If I wasn't in a three-year contract with Rogers and if they offered a vider variety of phones, I'd probably switch to them.

The $150 credit they're offering 'til the end of March is a very good incentive to switch even if you're in a contract though, since it should cover a decent chunk of the early cancellation fee.

The first month free, the local calling to Toronto, free call display, affordable texting, and the lack of a ridiculous "system access fee" are huge pluses in my eyes too.

Since I'm already with Rogers though, I'm probably going to give Retentions a call sometime soon and just use Wind as leverage instead. =\
Old 03-21-2010 at 06:04 PM   #10
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

My family is switching our extra pay as you go cellphone to Wind Mobile this week, if everything goes well with that I'll inherit the plan once my contract with Rogers is done.

Can anybody confirm weather or not Hamilton is a home zone?
Old 03-21-2010 at 07:06 PM   #11
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
My family is switching our extra pay as you go cellphone to Wind Mobile this week, if everything goes well with that I'll inherit the plan once my contract with Rogers is done.

Can anybody confirm weather or not Hamilton is a home zone?
Hamilton is indeed a home zone. Check out the maps.

There are kiosks in Lime Ridge, Jackson Square, and Eastgate Square.

Last edited by aaront : 03-21-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2010 at 09:49 PM   #12
l.esho
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

I'm switching to Wind Mobile in a couple of days.

Now from what I've heard, what you sign up for (say $45 a month) is what you pay -- there's no bs fees. The only catch is, you have to pay for the phone.

Is this true?
Old 03-21-2010 at 10:16 PM   #13
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

Few things to mention.

If you switch over from another company whether it be pay as you go or monthly plan, Wind will offer you $150 if you sign up BEFORE the end of this month. ($30 per bill for 5 months).

Also usually wind gives you the first month FREE, BUT if you go and sign up after the first month starts, eg. Going on april 3rd opposed to april first, will land you the rest of the month of april for free (since you didnt get it for a FULL month) and you get may free too!

Wind has monthly plans and pay as you go. Pay as you go plans are the EXACT same as monthly plans, only difference is when you pay, one is before the month starts, one is after.

Wind gives you the sim card for free and 0$ activation.
BUT, even though it uses a sim card, it isnt GSM, so NO you cannot take your unlocked gsm phone and use it with a wind simcard. Wind is actually AWS, which is 1700 and 2100 mhz frequency if i recall correctly.

So pretty much the only phones that will work is phone they offer, or NEWER t-mobile phones that support 3g (tmobile is the only other company that supports AWS). And a few others such as the nexus one and the new nokia phone (i forget which model, it starts with a 9 though LOL).

oh ya, Wind also offer's a free unlock code for their phones after 3 months. Their phones are backwards compatible with other networks though, so you can take your wind phone and go to rogers and it will work after its been unlocked, EXCEPT it wont support 3G.

Now about the plans and what not, you will get everything your plan offers if your in the "HOME ZONE" , if your in the away, your pretty much roaming onto rogers towers so you will be PAYING PER USE (its actually CHEAPER per minute on wind than rogers charges) , wind phones will show on your banner if your home or away , and if your on the phone and you just leave the home zone and enter an away zone, they will drop so you wont get extra charges, and if you were to call back you would be aware that you will be getting charged pay per use.

Now a review ...

My sister just got the bold 9700 on wind and i have a rogers 9700 bold unlocked on the fido network, next to each other, mine will have full bars, and her's will have half ... hrm...

hamilton is in the home zone but their signal isnt the greatest atm, outside its good and on campus its good but in the apartment, some spots lose reception and what not. Even in limeridge mall, certain wings of it will put you on the away zone. For now its a slight issue, but until they increase their towers and home zone, it shouldnt be too bad. For what you pay and the unlimitedness of it, i think its good.

When I went to wind everything was too good to be true... and it was ! the only catch I didnt like was you have to have AWS supported phones for their company :( but overall, their prices and what not are REALLY good compared to fido , robers and the others...

hope this helpss

aani, escape, l.esho, shes-a-diva* all say thanks to WekSos for this post.
Old 03-21-2010 at 10:33 PM   #14
larp

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
did you get your phone from hamilton or toronto? I'm looking into getting wind soon as well
Hamilton.

Actually the only place where I don't get signal is inside any elevator. I used to be able to do that on Fido :(

escape says thanks to larp for this post.