MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Introducing MacInsiders Mobile Chad MacInsiders Announcements 15 08-25-2010 08:06 AM
Wind aa84 Computers & Tech 1 08-23-2010 11:40 PM
Wind Mobile update?? escape Computers & Tech 13 03-21-2010 10:33 PM
Wind Mobile Shows Photos Of Store Chad MacInsiders Announcements 61 12-17-2009 04:14 PM
Wifi on windows Mobile smartphone garyyc General Discussion 4 10-23-2009 01:09 PM

Wind mobile?

Old 07-31-2010 at 10:31 PM   #1
Linh

Liked: 0 Times

Wind mobile?
I live in toronto and am currently with rogers pay-as-you go. I'm moving onto rez so I'm planning to switch to wind since it would allow me to call long-distance without any extra costs from hamilton. I was wondering if anyone ever had any service issues with wind (eg. reception, text message delays, etc)?

thanks
Old 07-31-2010 at 11:00 PM   #2
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

I switched to wind a few months ago and the plans are great, except the service isn't the best. In basements I usually don't get service. Also when I was in hamilton in one of the lecture buildings I was only getting an away zone but in the residence areas and outside I could get a home zone, that was before I knew you could select it manually so I'm not sure if that will be an issue. There aren't any text message delays as far as I can tell so thats fine. But it sure beats paying long distance/roaming/two phones

Linh says thanks to julianface for this post.
Old 07-31-2010 at 11:33 PM   #3
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

there's a few other phone threads that you should search where people talk about wind a lot.

i switched over with them back in april and i'm very satisfied. service on campus is pretty decent; i had great service in the student centre (except for the 2nd basement, where the clinic is). you're going into your first year so you won't be familiar with all the buildings, so i'll skip listing them, but generally they're much better than the reception i had with virgin (they use bell's network). I doubt they're as good a network as rogers', but you gotta give the up and coming company some more time. they've improved and are still improving dramatically.

in the end, i recommend it! the service is quite decent on campus and around hamilton, and the monthly charge is phenomenal!
Old 08-01-2010 at 12:14 AM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

i switched a few months ago and am very happy. Ive had few service issues (little more than rogers) in hamilton, mississauga, or toronto. Ive manually set the phone to not pick up WIND AWAY and instead go out of service and ave still not really had any issues, including in basements. Keep in mind tho that any unlocked asw phone can be used on the network. You can usually find great deals on craigs list and stuff for phones so dont feel restricted to the Wind selection. Also they are getting new phones in august, including a far cheaper blackberry curve
Old 08-01-2010 at 10:01 AM   #5
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

I highly suggest going with ChatR since they run on the Rogers network which is WAYYYYYY more reliable than the Wind network and they offer unlimited province/nation-wide plans as well.

http://www.chatrwireless.com /web/c...l=PlanBro wse

$35 for unlimited province wide talking, unlimited incoming, 50 texts, caller id, voicemail, call waiting, call forwarding, call grouping

$45 for unlimited nationwide calling, unlimited incoming, unlimited texting, caller id, voicemail, call waiting, call forwarding, call grouping

I have many friends in Hamilton who signed up with Wind and have regretted it because of poor customer service and the network.
Old 08-01-2010 at 10:41 AM   #6
Brunette03

Liked: 1 Time

My parents switched to wind a few months ago and are having issues with dropped calling and lost reception in Home Zones where I have had reception with Rogers.

Has anyone tried their internet stick?
Old 08-01-2010 at 04:33 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunette03 View Post
My parents switched to wind a few months ago and are having issues with dropped calling and lost reception in Home Zones where I have had reception with Rogers.

Has anyone tried their internet stick?
I have already heard that Wind Mobile is notorious for dropped calls and poor reception.
Old 08-01-2010 at 04:39 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Don't support Chatr.. its just a company to drive out competition which is BAD for us..

go with Fido or Koodo
Old 08-01-2010 at 04:39 PM   #9
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Hey I just switched to wind a week ago.. and they have pretty good phones.. also, the reception depends on the phone u have and where u are located... if you get Nokia 5230, which i got and love, you will find that the reception is amazing compared to something like htc maple... but then again, the reception will only work great on a particular phone if u are in WIND HOME.. overall WIndMobile is the best in Canada for its plans
Old 08-01-2010 at 05:28 PM   #10
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Don't support Chatr.. its just a company to drive out competition which is BAD for us..

go with Fido or Koodo
Good point, however fido is owned by Rogers and Koodo is owned by Telus, which is pretty much the same as Rogers
Old 08-01-2010 at 06:10 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay919 View Post
Good point, however fido is owned by Rogers and Koodo is owned by Telus, which is pretty much the same as Rogers
Nope, not pretty much the same. If it was pretty much the same, there wouldnt be a retentions and loyalty department to bargain for a better deal, and youd probably be paying $50+ on any VOICE alone plan.
Old 08-01-2010 at 06:17 PM   #12
uppalss

Liked: 0 Times

Chatr Coverage vs. Wind Coverage
Since Chatr is owned and operated by rogers, will u be getting almost the same recpetion that a fido or rogers customer would get ?
Old 08-01-2010 at 06:30 PM   #13
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppalss View Post
Since Chatr is owned and operated by rogers, will u be getting almost the same recpetion that a fido or rogers customer would get ?
Not necessarily, Chatr is placed lowest priority, so it depends on time of day.
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:05 PM   #14
LukeEngineer

Liked: 5 Times

I'm gunna have to pick a cell plan sometime this month and well was wondering about wind. Which phone has best reception and if the network is good ? I was going to go with Koodo but they no longer offer the plan i was about to get. My parents want me to go public mobile lol and i keep telling them wind is better especially in hamilton since public mobile is only just getting a network in hamilton so dunno any thoughts I'm willing to spend between 35 - 45 $ per month. Interested in hearing personal experiences with wind. Also has it been getting better over time ?
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:23 PM   #15
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

I switched to Wind back in May.
I am extremely happy with it and would highly recommend it. I've sent/recieved hundreds of texts and never had any delay issues. I've never had any dropped calls, but really I've only called places when my signal strength was strong.

BE CAREFUL THOUGH:
I think it's really awesome that I can call/text from hamilton back to toronto for no long distance fees, but I was in stouffville - which would usually be covered by like rogers/telus/bell in the toronto area, but it wasn't with Wind, so I had to pay long distance charges.

Some cons I found was that my phone randomly went into "emergency only" mode where I couldn't text and i could only call. That's slightly annoying. Secondly, it doesn't have as strong of a signal as other companies. Also, randomly it goes into "wind away" mode when I'm actually in a home zone. It usually happens the first time i'm in a different location (ie. the first time i went back to mac, it took a few mins before my phone realized i was in a home zone).