MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CBC Launches Digital Hamilton Service Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-10-2012 07:21 AM
wind service on hamilton mountain? anon491 General Discussion 5 02-27-2012 01:53 PM
Great Wind Energy Project coming to Hamilton Chad MacInsiders Announcements 3 01-31-2012 05:43 PM
Best/Cheapest Internet Service Providers in Hamilton? InsideMINDS Computers & Tech 27 09-07-2011 08:32 AM
Wind Warning to Hamilton Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-01-2006 12:25 PM

How is WIND service at Mac/Hamilton?

Old 07-02-2012 at 08:12 PM   #1
Vessi
Tiny

Liked: 44 Times

How is WIND service at Mac/Hamilton?
I'm thinking about switching to WIND from Rogers and I was wondering how the service is at Mac on campus, in and out of buildings, res, etc and Hamilton in general.

I read some threads from previous years but thought I'd ask again in case WIND has improved/changed.
Old 07-02-2012 at 08:17 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

WIND Mobile has a tower on MUSC I believe or on KTH. Signal is great in most places but buildings such as ETB and some basements the signal drops. I can't really go into the details right now but due to the frequency WIND Mobile has they have poor penetration of signal through thick material (i.e. concrete). I stopped trying to use data on campus because it simply is too slow. Downtown Hamilton is also good from what I've experienced but around University Plaza the signal deteriorates. Check this website for customer logged signal feedback:

http://coveragemapper.com/windmap.php
Old 07-02-2012 at 08:53 PM   #3
Milk.Tea

Liked: 21 Times

I found that I got excellent service at Mac.
I would receive and send text from within lecture halls, in res, and outside. Data also works quite well.
The only problem I encountered was ITB, but nothing penetrates ITB.

-Ish- likes this.
Old 07-02-2012 at 09:54 PM   #4
swarly

Liked: 7 Times

I use WIND also and service is great on campus. I even get data most places on campus (residences, labs, lecture halls). Like everyone else, I don't get signal in ITB, but thats the only place on campus I don't get signal. Just this year they put a tower on CNH so its great signal.
Old 07-02-2012 at 10:00 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Service used to be bad. Its a lot better now. Pretty much the only place I remember that I don't get signal is ITB basement, and parts of upstairs.
Old 07-02-2012 at 11:19 PM   #6
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

Vessi likes this.
Old 08-10-2012 at 02:18 PM   #7
janom93

Liked: 0 Times

do u get good signal in basements? cuz i'll be living in a basement and im not too sure if I should go with WIND. :$
Old 08-10-2012 at 02:41 PM   #8
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Pretty damn good for the $30 I pay. I don't get service in certain lecture halls (I forget which ones) but that's fine with me. I've never had any trouble with service when i was outdoors on campus. And I've never had trouble using data if I'm getting service.
Old 08-10-2012 at 02:42 PM   #9
Vessi
Tiny

Liked: 44 Times

How about offcampus?
Old 08-10-2012 at 02:48 PM   #10
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Dont you have to pay extra per text and per minute when you leave Wind's zone? I was almost going to get wind when I switched from bell in december, but I was too worried about accidentally leaving the zone and paying 15cents per text (I send like 300 texts a day - i honestly dont know how I do that lol)

anyone had an issue with this? or you pretty much stay in the zone?
Old 08-10-2012 at 02:50 PM   #11
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Dont you have to pay extra per text and per minute when you leave Wind's zone? I was almost going to get wind when I switched from bell in december, but I was too worried about accidentally leaving the zone and paying 15cents per text (I send like 300 texts a day - i honestly dont know how I do that lol)

anyone had an issue with this? or you pretty much stay in the zone?
No. I have my mobile network set to 'off' if I'm roaming so it will not send the text until I'm back in a Wind Zone
Old 08-10-2012 at 03:05 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by janom93 View Post
do u get good signal in basements? cuz i'll be living in a basement and im not too sure if I should go with WIND. :$
They have a refund period for your phone... a certain number of days (don't remember how many) or certain number of minutes after using the phone (whichever you do first). This lets you check out the phone/service without any consequence. Buy it, check it out, and if its not good for your basement, just return it!

I use my phone all the time in my basement, full bars. Works well for me in student centre basement. It pretty much more depends on where you are in relation to their towers, not so much with if you're in a basement or not.
Old 08-10-2012 at 04:16 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
They have a refund period for your phone... a certain number of days (don't remember how many) or certain number of minutes after using the phone (whichever you do first). This lets you check out the phone/service without any consequence. Buy it, check it out, and if its not good for your basement, just return it!

I use my phone all the time in my basement, full bars. Works well for me in student centre basement. It pretty much more depends on where you are in relation to their towers, not so much with if you're in a basement or not.
As per the refund policy found here: http://www.windmobile.ca/WIND%20Docs...urnsPolicy.pdf

It is 30 minutes or 14 days, whichever one comes first.

aspire.dream says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

RyanC likes this.
Old 10-07-2012 at 02:28 PM   #14
aspire.dream

Liked: 1 Time

I'm thinking of switching to wind solely because I want a blackberry 9990 which Koodo doesn't offer. But I love koodo so I don't know what to do!! I have better service than all of my friends with koodo and I'm scared to switch to wind! Someone convince me :p

Anyways, if anyone is thinking of switching to koodo, I can get you $25 off by referring you. Just inbox me! My plan right now it $35/month unlimited talk & text (including outgoing emails and pictures). No deadzones, it's great I highly recommend koodo
Old 10-07-2012 at 02:30 PM   #15
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

its pretty bad around emerson area

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

kaitotst likes this.