MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will you upgrade to Windows 8? Alexmahone Computers & Tech 15 06-25-2012 10:53 AM
Windows 7: Upgrade Or Not? kanishka Technology 3 11-06-2009 02:02 PM
Windows 7 upgrade worth it? Allan General Discussion 33 10-29-2009 11:54 AM

Windows 8 pro upgrade offer

Old 07-25-2012 at 11:39 AM   #1
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Windows 8 pro upgrade offer
Hey guys just a quick question.

As most probably know, Windows has the deal going on that if you buy a laptop from June 1, to sometime next february that is running windows7, you will get the upgrade to windows 8 pro for 14.99. All sites say to follow the directions and input your information on the upgrade offer website to get the upgrade information. But for the past two months, the upgrade site has said that it has not opened yet, and would open shortly. Just wondering if anyone knows when Microsoft plans on starting registration for this program, since I just heard that Windows8 is due out in late October.
If your gonna come on here just to bash windows8 and microsoft, or to say that Mac is better, dont really care. Just want to know if anyone has any info about this upgrade registration starting up.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 07-25-2012 at 01:01 PM   #2
g.o.p.a.l
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Microsoft said windows 8 comes out officially on october 26th which would mean that either day or just after that would be when you can go on the website and get the upgrade. I am purchasing a new laptop too and this was what the reps at best buy told me and it makes sense to given its launch date. Hope this helps
Old 07-25-2012 at 03:01 PM   #3
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.o.p.a.l View Post
Microsoft said windows 8 comes out officially on october 26th which would mean that either day or just after that would be when you can go on the website and get the upgrade. I am purchasing a new laptop too and this was what the reps at best buy told me and it makes sense to given its launch date. Hope this helps
Oh ok i thought you would register earlier and then you could go on and update once it came out. Thanks for that! What infomation from your purchase is required? Like the receipt or what? They dont really explain what you need to have for the upgrade:S
Old 07-30-2012 at 06:30 PM   #4
g.o.p.a.l
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Oh ok i thought you would register earlier and then you could go on and update once it came out. Thanks for that! What infomation from your purchase is required? Like the receipt or what? They dont really explain what you need to have for the upgrade:S
Just the product key that you have, which you would enter I believe.
Old 07-30-2012 at 09:12 PM   #5
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Will all PCs soon have touch screens once Windows 8 comes out?

I'm holding off on buying a laptop because of this reason.
Old 07-31-2012 at 07:39 AM   #6
Chris23
Account Locked

A touch screen doesnt seem ideal for the work in engineering. I would hate to have to use autocad with a touchscreen!:|
Old 07-31-2012 at 08:39 AM   #7
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Will all PCs soon have touch screens once Windows 8 comes out?
No. Why would you think that?
Old 07-31-2012 at 08:51 AM   #8
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
No. Why would you think that?
Some promos of windows 8 showcase the panel interface being interacted with on a touchscreen desktop.
Old 07-31-2012 at 09:27 AM   #9
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Some promos of windows 8 showcase the panel interface being interacted with on a touchscreen desktop.
That's because Windows 8 has actually been designed for tablets. Microsoft is making a big mistake in thinking it will work just as well for desktop computers. It will be a much bigger fail than Vista.
Old 07-31-2012 at 09:46 AM   #10
Chris23
Account Locked

Well its inovative and new so it will be interesting to see how it is received by the general public
Old 07-31-2012 at 10:10 AM   #11
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
That's because Windows 8 has actually been designed for tablets. Microsoft is making a big mistake in thinking it will work just as well for desktop computers. It will be a much bigger fail than Vista.
Desktops and laptops would still have the same functionality as they do currently. The computers will still have keyboards, trackpads and mice. The touch screen capabilities would only further enhance the experience.

I don't think people will be using the touch screen functions for 'work', but for browsing, gaming, media it would certainly be better than using a trackpad on a laptop.

It's not really a mistake. If people don't have touch screens, or if they don't want to use touch screens, they don't need to use it.

Personally, I just don't want to buy a laptop now...and see everyone with touch screen laptops 6 months from now. I wouldn't be cool anymore...lol.
Old 07-31-2012 at 10:16 AM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Desktops and laptops would still have the same functionality as they do currently. The computers will still have keyboards, trackpads and mice. The touch screen capabilities would only further enhance the experience.

I don't think people will be using the touch screen functions for 'work', but for browsing, gaming, media it would certainly be better than using a trackpad on a laptop.

It's not really a mistake. If people don't have touch screens, or if they don't want to use touch screens, they don't need to use it.

Personally, I just don't want to buy a laptop now...and see everyone with touch screen laptops 6 months from now. I wouldn't be cool anymore...lol.
Are you implying that cool = following the trend?
Old 07-31-2012 at 11:23 AM   #13
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Are you implying that cool = following the trend?
No. I'm implying that cool = touch screen laptop
Old 07-31-2012 at 11:51 AM   #14
Chris23
Account Locked

haha nicely played^

Allan likes this.
Old 07-31-2012 at 12:07 PM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Is there even any real reason to upgrade from Windows 7? I tried the developer preview of Windows 8 a while back, and it seemed like mostly eye-candy (with that dumbass windows wall thing instead of a desktop) with a few very minor fixes to functionality (pause-able file transfer. etc)

Unless there are major changes to the core OS, what's the point?