MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Will you upgrade to Windows 8?
Yes 13 27.08%
No 35 72.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So I want to upgrade my HTC Magic Ownaginatios Computers & Tech 27 12-29-2010 09:06 PM
Windows 7: Upgrade Or Not? kanishka Technology 3 11-06-2009 02:02 PM
Windows 7 upgrade worth it? Allan General Discussion 33 10-29-2009 11:54 AM

Will you upgrade to Windows 8?

Old 05-11-2012 at 09:31 PM   #1
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Will you upgrade to Windows 8?
I have the consumer preview and it looks like Windows 7 with an unnecessary extra metro interface. I like metro IE though.

So will you upgrade to Windows 8? (I won't.)

Last edited by Alexmahone : 05-11-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2012 at 09:40 PM   #2
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

My friend had W8. Apparently it was buggy and his computer keeps shutting down and crashing ever since he had W8. So he reinstalled W7. I would just wait a year or 2 for a better/refined W8 os. IMO.
Old 05-11-2012 at 10:00 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdynasty View Post
My friend had W8. Apparently it was buggy and his computer keeps shutting down and crashing ever since he had W8. So he reinstalled W7. I would just wait a year or 2 for a better/refined W8 os. IMO.
Won't take that long.

@OP:
I won't be upgrading any of my laptops which are running W7 right now to W8.
Old 05-11-2012 at 10:47 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I think this is the first time our family will not be upgrading to the newest Windows. We always have, but unless I hear really good things about it and we get a really cheap student price then I likely won't even try it.

The big thing I see of it is the usefulness on touchscreen tablets. Unless it runs much faster, then its just a pretty windows 7
Old 05-11-2012 at 11:37 PM   #5
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdynasty View Post

hes most prolly running the beta version that windows issued a couple of months ago... so it naturally buggy...

My buddy is running W8 on his tablet computer (not the "iPad" kind). He seem pretty convinced with the UI... tried to force me to use it as my primary OS
Old 05-13-2012 at 03:50 PM   #6
g.o.p.a.l
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

I personally hate it since I am not getting a tablet PC which means metro is useless. Plus microsoft is acting like Apple now in a really dumb way by restricting 3rd party native apps to run in metro environment :/
Old 05-20-2012 at 08:21 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I'm starting to warm up to the idea that win 8 actually might be good.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...xperience.aspx

Basically every generation of users hates the change... but eventually warm up to each version. I still don't like the dumbing down in general.. honestly I just really don't like my control panel... takes me about a minute to find programs and features every single time I open it..

Yogurt says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 05-20-2012 at 11:18 PM   #8
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I'm not sure yet, the Consumer Preview (i.e. the beta) was rough around the edges. It really doesn't give me much on my PC that I didn't already have in Windows 7 (Except storage spaces, which is a cool way to handle multiple hard drives). My netbook felt noticibly faster with Windows 8, but has lower than the minimum resolution that Windows 8 supports making it so the Metro environment and all the Metro apps suck on it.

I'll probably upgrade my Netbook to W8, and I'm sure I'll eventually upgrade my desktop, but there's no real reason for me to rush and upgrade it asap.
Old 06-24-2012 at 01:40 PM   #9
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

Windows 8 really has nothing to offer to us conventional desktop/laptop users who do not have a touch screen. It is a shame that Microsoft is giving their largest consumer base the short end of the stick. Regardless I'll probably end up upgrading... just because.

On another note I'm extremely excited for the Surface tablet w/ Windows 8 Pro. The thought of a tablet with desktop capabilities blows my mind.
Old 06-24-2012 at 03:26 PM   #10
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Although I'm not a primary Windows user, my family does have a couple Windows PCs at home. Windows 8 seems like the only Microsoft OS where the team actually put thought into the design. They've well laid out and communicated the principles and reasoning behind their decisions, and from a design and UX standpoint, they did an amazing job (for the most part). Just for that reason, I'll upgrade to Windows 8. I understand that the Metro design language isn't for everyone, and it is really intended for tablets, but that's not to say it's bad on a keyboard/mouse input system. I had a totally different vision for Windows 8, and I think Microsoft could have done a lot better job with the Metro—(previously) Aero integration, but they did well.

Microsoft's actually thinking. They knew exactly what they were planning with Windows 8 and now the Surface announcement. They're no longer just throwing shit out knowing that most people would have no choice but to pick it up. I commend them for that.
Old 06-24-2012 at 03:29 PM   #11
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla View Post
Windows 8 really has nothing to offer to us conventional desktop/laptop users who do not have a touch screen. It is a shame that Microsoft is giving their largest consumer base the short end of the stick.
This is one argument I will never understand. Microsoft has removed no functionality from Windows 7 to make Windows 8. They biggest change people hate is the Metro Start Screen, and all it takes to get to the traditional desktop is a simple mouse movement to the bottom left of the screen. You don't have to interact or do anything at all with it if you don't want to. And there are numerous improvements to the traditional desktop side of things. It feels like a much more well thought out OS (despite my hatred for the implemented Office Ribbon Interface).
Old 06-24-2012 at 06:22 PM   #12
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post

...I'm sure I'll eventually upgrade my desktop, but there's no real reason for me to rush and upgrade it asap.
Same as well for me.
Old 06-24-2012 at 07:26 PM   #13
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
This is one argument I will never understand. Microsoft has removed no functionality from Windows 7 to make Windows 8. They biggest change people hate is the Metro Start Screen, and all it takes to get to the traditional desktop is a simple mouse movement to the bottom left of the screen. You don't have to interact or do anything at all with it if you don't want to. And there are numerous improvements to the traditional desktop side of things. It feels like a much more well thought out OS (despite my hatred for the implemented Office Ribbon Interface).
They haven't removed any functionality but they haven't improved functionality either unless you are using a tablet. Personally, being the huge computer nerd that I am, I get nerd rage when I have to deal with unnecessary UI features that clutter my computer. The real dilemma is that they are releasing a new version of windows which has no added benefits for us desktop/laptop users, only the hindrance of the metro UI every time we boot up.
Old 06-24-2012 at 07:27 PM   #14
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

I'm still on XP x64 haha. I barely use the desktop anymore, but I should probably look into upgrading the OS
Old 06-25-2012 at 10:30 AM   #15
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

No thanks.

Windows 7 ftw.