MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marking Textbook Ads As Sold Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-23-2010 11:24 AM
Profs Outsourcing Marking to India AlienSummer General Discussion 26 05-15-2010 09:41 AM

Witholding Marking Criteria

Old 10-06-2010 at 09:15 PM   #1
emmajg

Liked: 0 Times

Witholding Marking Criteria
Hi there,

Does anybody know what McMaster's policy is regarding marking criteria? I want to understand how my assignment is marked but the TAs are refusing to show us the criteria for how they evaluated the assignment. Is there anything that states they must show us how they were evaluating us??

Thank you!
Old 10-06-2010 at 09:30 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Nope. They don't even have to release all of your marks to you. Try going to office hours?
Old 10-06-2010 at 10:36 PM   #3
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

i'm gonna go with; you're in immuno
Old 10-06-2010 at 10:50 PM   #4
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

yeah, but sometimes they're nice and give you everything; just get to know your TA and i know they hate it and everything but a little sucking up never hurts lmaoo
Old 10-07-2010 at 01:52 AM   #5
Joey

Liked: 17 Times

what class is this for? most of the time they are really good about telling you what to watch out for just not always what the weight is for each item.
Old 10-07-2010 at 01:58 PM   #6
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Along the same lines... does anyone know why final exam marks aren't released? Seems strange.
Old 10-07-2010 at 03:20 PM   #7
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

wow, if this is actually for immuno, the course just gets more and more retarded yearly. last year the assignments were either a 0 or a 5 and they gave us the opportunity to correct our mistakes and have them remarked for the 1st assignment.

the ta's were always open to discussion on how to improve though.

the final for that course was brutal - so unfortunately you would have to get used to their ridiculous marking schemes and try your absolute hardest to do what they want you to... how retarded..
Old 10-07-2010 at 06:30 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

They don't have to show you the grading scheme beforehand...I've actually been told outright that that would "defeat the purpose of the assignment"....which I think is total BS. If your entire assignment is based on whether or not I correctly guessed what 5 random points they wanted me to discuss in my 700word summary, AND whether or not I knew ahead of time to completely ignore the instructions they gave us before the assignment, then it's completely worthless anyways.

Afterwards, though, they should be able to tell you where/why you lost marks. I had another prof tell us that he couldn't even give us our homework assignments back, because he needed to keep the documentation to support the grades we got :S
Old 10-08-2010 at 09:44 AM   #9
ignimbrite

Liked: 0 Times

The issue really comes down to the type of assignment. If it is an essay sometimes there is not a marking rubric. If it is short answer often there is. Also remember that many profs do not want answers posted so they don't have to change every assignment every year.
Old 10-08-2010 at 09:49 AM   #10
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

I understand the TA's perspective, that still doesn't make it acceptable.