MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woman Sues Rogers After Affair Is Exposed... shes-a-diva* General Discussion 25 05-24-2010 07:42 PM
where can I get an H1N1 shot? Mac12 General Discussion 2 11-27-2009 09:16 PM
Flu Shot? Deegs14 General Discussion 9 10-19-2009 03:03 PM
flu shot success michbitran General Discussion 3 11-27-2007 02:57 PM

Woman Takes Flu Shot and Becomes Disabled

Old 10-22-2009 at 12:35 PM   #1
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

Woman Takes Flu Shot and Becomes Disabled

So I was watching this and it kind of freaked me out. A woman was disabled by taking the flu shot and now she can only walk backwards. Apparently there's a one in a million chance that you could develop severe side effects from taking it and she unluckily happened to be that 'one'. What do you guys think of this?

Last edited by niteskie : 10-22-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2009 at 12:41 PM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I've seen other stories like this.... it's unfortunate.

My personal philosophy on the flu vaccine is as such:
- I'm a young person with a strong immune system. If I get sick, I'm probably going to be fine
- Therefore, money shouldn't be wasted on vaccinating ME. Money should go to vaccinating those who would likely be devastated from the illness (ie the very young and very old).

There are potential side effects to pretty much every pill, vaccine, tonic, etc. You need to understand them before you submit yourself to taking the medicine.

In the long run, the flu vaccine is more beneficial to society than harmful. Occasional tragedies like these can happen, and that's unfortunate... all it means is more research should be done into preventing side effects like these.

lawleypop, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 12:41 PM   #3
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

oh my...i'm speechless.
Old 10-22-2009 at 12:55 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post

- I'm a young person with a strong immune system. If I get sick, I'm probably going to be fine
- Therefore, money shouldn't be wasted on vaccinating ME. Money should go to vaccinating those who would likely be devastated from the illness (ie the very young and very old).

There are potential side effects to pretty much every pill, vaccine, tonic, etc. You need to understand them before you submit yourself to taking the medicine.

In the long run, the flu vaccine is more beneficial to society than harmful. Occasional tragedies like these can happen, and that's unfortunate... all it means is more research should be done into preventing side effects like these.
I agree, but only to a point.

Part of getting a vaccine is to prevent you from getting the illness at all, and thereby spreading it. So even if you're healthy, you may come into contact with someone who is not.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

daisy likes this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 01:00 PM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I agree, but only to a point.

Part of getting a vaccine is to prevent you from getting the illness at all, and thereby spreading it. So even if you're healthy, you may come into contact with someone who is not.
Yes, but I'm a young person with a strong immune system. I can handle being sick. If all of the vulnerable populations were immunized, then younger people like me can get sick, handle it with no issues, and everyone is ok.
Old 10-22-2009 at 01:32 PM   #6
aani

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Yes, but I'm a young person with a strong immune system. I can handle being sick. If all of the vulnerable populations were immunized, then younger people like me can get sick, handle it with no issues, and everyone is ok.
While this is usually the case, H1N1 has been found to be pretty dangerous to young people (not kids, people our age). Scientists are still trying to figure out why b/c normally, the flu doesnt cause serious problems to people in our age group.

Last edited by aani : 10-22-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Grammar

daisy likes this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 01:32 PM   #7
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aani View Post
While this is usually the case, H1N1 has been found to be pretty dangerous to young people (not kids, people our age). Scientists are still trying to figure out why b/c normally, flu doesnt cause serious problems to our age group.
Actually a study came out just a couple of days ago that shows H1N1 isn't actually all that different from regular flu.
Old 10-22-2009 at 01:39 PM   #8
aani

Quote:
Actually a study came out just a couple of days ago that shows H1N1 isn't actually all that different from regular flu.
Yup, I've read that already...at the same time, H1N1 is disproportionately affecting young people-so there has to be something different about it- could be anything, so perhaps you're right! But I just wanted people to be aware of that fact and not underestimate the flu (doesn't mean I condone getting the flu shot- I personally have not).

Taunton says thanks to aani for this post.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 01:48 PM   #9
plutoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Which makes staying home when you are sick, whether you think you can cope with work/school/whatever, all the more important.
Old 10-22-2009 at 02:02 PM   #10
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

ITT: Old news and people who don't know that several doctors think her problem is psychogenic and not caused by the flu shot.
Old 10-22-2009 at 02:49 PM   #11
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

I tend to be of the camp that feels that the benefits of vaccines outweigh the risks. It's important to inform one's self with good information, and not hysteria or heresay when making decisions. Be *well informed*.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 02:53 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:

I'm glad we agree on this. My best friend from back home showed me this link yesterday and I said to him EXACTLY what you posted and he got SO offended/pissed off.

Edit: Then he proceeded to go with the usual question of "I don't know why you're so unsympathetic. What if it happened to you?" To which I replied, "it wouldn't, because I'm not about to buy into all the media propaganda that every sickness IS TOTALLY GOING TO AFFECT ME AND TOTALLY GOING TO KILL ME."

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 10-22-2009 at 03:05 PM.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 03:02 PM   #13
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Not that it's really related, but this sort of thing is why you don't get the first wave (or even second) of a vaccine. Remember Thalidomide?

As for me, I don't get the flu shot. It's for old/young/immuno-deficent people. Besides, I go to school unless I'm actually throwing up (no skipping for colds or anything), so it's not like I'm saving myself a day.

Last edited by britb : 10-22-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2009 at 03:04 PM   #14
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Not that it's really related, but this sort of thing is why you don't get the first wave (or even second) of a vaccine. Remember Thalidomide?
This vaccine is directly related to the seasonal flu shot, which is why they got it out so fast. It's not really much different, as far as anyone knows.

The flu shot in general has a very very low incidence of extremely serious side effects.

daisy, david_08 like this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 03:06 PM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post

As for me, I don't get the flu shot. It's for old/young/immuno-deficent people. Besides, I go to school unless I'm actually throwing up (no skipping for colds or anything), so it's not like I'm saving myself a day.
Nope, what's thalidomide? o_O

I also don't get the flu shot. I practice proper hygiene. I'm young, and healthy. Worst comes to worse, I get sick. Nothing could be worse than when I was in grade 4 and got "Whooping Cough." I'm ready for a flu, lmao.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.