MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woman Faked Cancer, Charged with Fraud nerual Volunteering Opportunities 28 08-26-2010 06:26 PM
Canadian woman denied health benefits by employer because of Facebook photos Kathy2 General Discussion 10 11-25-2009 04:11 PM
Woman Takes Flu Shot and Becomes Disabled niteskie General Discussion 52 11-06-2009 04:05 PM
Are you a Rogers Customer? kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 8 11-29-2008 03:04 PM

Woman Sues Rogers After Affair Is Exposed...

Old 05-18-2010 at 04:29 PM   #1
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Woman Sues Rogers After Affair Is Exposed...
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...air-is-exposed

What do you think about this??

I personally think she has a point.. They did breach her privacy by billing HER phone which was under HER NAME to her husband.. But I also think this is an attempt for a cash-grab because her marrage came tumbling down.
Old 05-18-2010 at 04:33 PM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I have no sympathy for cheaters.

Old 05-18-2010 at 04:39 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Life over because of an affair? Great life you've got there.

Accept your mistake, and move on? Looks like a cash grab, and I'm not even sure what part of the contract has been breached here? That thing where the lover obtained access to the voicemail by means of explotation/negligence (on the company's part), then proceeded to harass, is a bit crappy though.

You cheat, you lose.
Old 05-18-2010 at 05:57 PM   #4
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Nagy’s lawyer, Edward Tonello, says this case is unprecedented in Canada.

“In Ontario, we don’t have a privacy act, unlike British Columbia and other provinces.”
What about the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA)? It covers a huge amount of things like what kind of information can be released about a person or organization depending on who wants the information, for what, etc. For example, it's the law that says that Mac can't release your grades to your parents even if they ask, if you're over 18.
Old 05-18-2010 at 09:34 PM   #5
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

FIPPA only applies to institutions which are defined in the act to be

"(0.a) the Assembly,
(a) a ministry of the Government of Ontario,
(a.1) a service provider organization within the meaning of section 17.1 of the Ministry of Government Services Act, and
(b) any agency, board, commission, corporation or other body designated as an institution in the regulations; (“institution”)"

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...1_ e.htm#BK50

So private companies are completely exempt from FIPPA regulations. In BC, for example, the privacy act makes any release of information to someone who is not able to consent an actionable tort (i.e. something to be resolved in a civil trial). If the case were in BC, it would appear to hinge around whether the husband was entitled to consent on behalf of his wife. While IANAL, it would certainly seem to be possible that this could be an invasion of privacy in that case.

Of course, the woman is still and idiot for cheating and leaving such a blatant trail.

Maegs says thanks to dsahota for this post.
Old 05-19-2010 at 12:19 AM   #6
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...air-is-exposed

What do you think about this??

I personally think she has a point.. They did breach her privacy by billing HER phone which was under HER NAME to her husband.. But I also think this is an attempt for a cash-grab because her marrage came tumbling down.
I dont think she has a point at all. She's looking for someone to blame for her own screwup, instead of accepting responsibility.

I had a similar problem with Rogers when I got accepted at Mac last year. I changed all my mailing addresses from my address to my parents house rather than Hamilton. Since my parents also had Rogers TV and home phone (or something, I forget what now), they consolidated all the bills at that address to my dads name, even though we have different first names. I called them to sort it all out, and I was directed to some obscure legal page on their website where they state that this will happen. Basically, it's to put all your bills together, which is convenient, and it also saves money on postage for Rogers, so of course they're gonna do it.

I doubt she'd be suing if she didn't cheat, and her husband didn't leave her. As far as I'm concerned, if you're gonna get married, you accept a vow to be faithful to your spouse, and it's no ones fault but your own when you get caught cheating, regardless of how it happens.

Someone revive the Stella Awards. We have a new contender.

Afzal, camais like this.
Old 05-19-2010 at 04:25 AM   #7
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

I would "LOL" in the courtroom.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Afzal, camais, Guest253, macsci, _Luu_ like this.
Old 05-19-2010 at 09:37 AM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I've tried at least 5 times to type something up and decided nothing I say will convey even a quarter of the rage I feel for this.

And to think these people share my oxygen.

/facepalm

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 05-19-2010 at 07:58 PM   #9
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

What If...

It were an abusive relationship and the wife's calls to hotlines / for help were found by the husband and things got worse?

Sure in this case the wife was an idiot, but that doesn't make what Rogers did right.

That's my thoughts

sew12, shes-a-diva* like this.
Old 05-19-2010 at 09:45 PM   #10
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

I agree with DavidR the premise behind the whole privacy issue is absurd but there has so be some sort of privacy when it comes to those things...

What if it wasn't a phone bill and it was a credit card statement? Or some other confidential information... Just because an address is already in the system under someone else's name, doesn't mean invoices should be bunched together that's completely ludicris
Old 05-20-2010 at 12:57 AM   #11
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

stupid, stupid, stupid. She won't win.
Old 05-20-2010 at 06:11 AM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Except that isn't what this is about. Do you think she would be pissed and trying to sue if it didn't result in all that chaos? What kind of family DOESN'T want everything to be billed together. Makes things shit tons easier. Lady's just pissed because she can't have her cake and eat it too.

If this maybe resulted in identity theft or something that wasn't actually her fault (or something that was actually a big deal), then yea; sue. But this is her own damn fault and she's trying to milk it.

Old 05-20-2010 at 09:21 AM   #13
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I've tried at least 5 times to type something up and decided nothing I say will convey even a quarter of the rage I feel for this.

And to think these people share my oxygen.

/facepalm
you really care about that oxygen don't you
Old 05-20-2010 at 09:55 AM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
you really care about that oxygen don't you
No, it's my nice way of saying something really mean. 'Cause you know, people are so sensitive and whatnot. andidontwantanymorewa rnings ;D

Old 05-20-2010 at 11:47 AM   #15
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Except that isn't what this is about. Do you think she would be pissed and trying to sue if it didn't result in all that chaos? What kind of family DOESN'T want everything to be billed together. Makes things shit tons easier. Lady's just pissed because she can't have her cake and eat it too.

If this maybe resulted in identity theft or something that wasn't actually her fault (or something that was actually a big deal), then yea; sue. But this is her own damn fault and she's trying to milk it.
That isn't what its about for this woman but that doesn't make what Rogers is doing right.

People just disagree b/c she's a cheater. If this were a different situation, like for the example the situation with the abusive husband people would be more sympathetic.

I don't agree that she should necessarily win a lawsuit but I do think Rogers is in the wrong. She can have her cell phone bill however she wants. If she's paying it she can have it separated from her husband's/house holds stuff. In my house we have a bundle with all our Rogers services but we keep our Rogers Wireless separated from that bundle and get a separate bill.