MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woman Sues Rogers After Affair Is Exposed... shes-a-diva* General Discussion 25 05-24-2010 07:42 PM
where can I get an H1N1 shot? Mac12 General Discussion 2 11-27-2009 09:16 PM
Flu Shot? Deegs14 General Discussion 9 10-19-2009 03:03 PM
flu shot success michbitran General Discussion 3 11-27-2007 02:57 PM

Woman Takes Flu Shot and Becomes Disabled

Old 10-22-2009 at 03:13 PM   #16
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Nope, what's thalidomide? o_O

I also don't get the flu shot. I practice proper hygiene. I'm young, and healthy. Worst comes to worse, I get sick. Nothing could be worse than when I was in grade 4 and got "Whooping Cough." I'm ready for a flu, lmao.
Women took it for morning sickness in the late 50's and early 60's, until they discovered that it caused their babies to be born with serious birth defects.

lawleypop says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 10-22-2009 at 03:16 PM   #17
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Women took it for morning sickness in the late 50's and early 60's, until they discovered that it caused their babies to be born with serious birth defects.
Well, that'd be one hell of a pickle. >_<

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-22-2009 at 03:29 PM   #18
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

You would give birth to a pickle? Is there something you're not telling us? Did misterp already get to you?

lawleypop likes this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 03:35 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Oh yeah, we talked about this in orgo...
Old 10-22-2009 at 04:01 PM   #20
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Keep in mind that there is no indication that her flu shot brought this on, aside from the timing. Stolen straight from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia View Post
"One case reported involves a woman, Desiree Jennings, who apparently developed dystonia 10 days after a regular flu shot, although there has been no demonstrated causal link between the vaccine and the diagnosis of dystonia. Dr. Leigh Vinocur from the University of Maryland Medical System stated on the October 16, 2009, airing of "The O'Reilly Factor" on Fox News that this case was psychogenic and neurologists were using it as an example of psychogenic dystonia.
This diagnosis does not exclude thiomersal (sometimes spelled "thimerosal") induced neurological damage as a possible causative agent in the young woman's disorder. However, there is no empirical support for a position that such theoretical damage could have resulted from the vaccine in the flu-shot case; it would be the first reported such case. Nevertheless, a hypothetical link between flu vaccines and dystonia is championed by the activist group Generation Rescue, which in the past has been known for making similar medical claims regarding effects of thiomersal (see thiomersal controversy)"
Its just the media trying to scare people, as per usual.

PilotMal, Taunton all say thanks to Marlowe for this post.

aya017 likes this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 04:13 PM   #21
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Keep in mind that there is no indication that her flu shot brought this on, aside from the timing. Stolen straight from Wikipedia:

Its just the media trying to scare people, as per usual.
...O'reilly Factor.

Shoot me now. What a bigot.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-22-2009 at 05:24 PM   #22
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/ has lots of info

This is also an interesting web site: http://www.sciencebasedmedic ine.org/
Old 10-22-2009 at 06:31 PM   #23
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

It's just like people who try to link autism with childhood vaccinations. Unless there's scientific evidence, it's just media fear mongering.
Old 10-22-2009 at 08:58 PM   #24
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

AHHAHA funniest video ever.

but that sucks though.

she should just run everywhere. it'd be more efficient anyway :p
Old 10-22-2009 at 09:00 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallan View Post
AHHAHA funniest video ever.

but that sucks though.

she should just run everywhere. it'd be more efficient anyway :p
Yeah, but there is only so much running a person can do...
Old 10-22-2009 at 09:22 PM   #26
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'm confused. Another news station reported on this story and interviewed the same woman, yet they never mentioned the fact that her symptons go away when she walks backwards or starts running. Wouldn't that be something important to include in the news segment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4lMH2iTt9c

And she sounds like she's talking different in this video than the one the OP posted.
Old 10-22-2009 at 09:27 PM   #27
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

There is a lot of media fear mongering going on surrounding the flu shot as well as H1N1 and its driving me nuts. My aunt is a GP doctor and she has specifically said to me how important it is for people my age to get the H1N1 shot; yes, the study just came out saying its not any more dangerous than the regular flu, but the thing is this:

The purpose of vaccines is to prevent the spread of the virus to the people who CANT get vaccinated. Its essentially a way to bring the virus under control by slowing down its spread.

The thing about H1N1 that is/was scaring doctors (I haven't actually seen this study yet) is that its killing young, healthy people. Why? Because for some of us, our immune systems are INCREDIBLY over-active...that is what kills you.

Thank god for the fact that I get sick super easily...obviously I don't have an over-active immune system. LOL.

daisy, Deegs14 like this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 10:41 PM   #28
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
...O'reilly Factor.

Shoot me now. What a bigot.
The mention of that idiot makes me want to throw stuff at him ...

- Abhi

Old 10-23-2009 at 12:04 AM   #29
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
It's just like people who try to link autism with childhood vaccinations. Unless there's scientific evidence, it's just media fear mongering.
With a mild blend of 'statistical fear mongering' I might add. Even the 'scientific' evidence is subject to bias and 'fear mongering' tactics, because of the problems with statistics.

Is there a correlation between child autism and childhood vaccinations? Certainly. Does this demonstrate a causal link between them? Anyone who reads the study can see it's only speculatory...but sometimes even scientific studies can 'speculate.' And in those cases, the media's exaggerations are epic.

The biggest example of this is smoking: Any person who died of any sort 'non-accidental' death (ie. not a car accident, not a murder, etc.), and happened to be a smoker has been declared 'a victim of smoking' by StatsCan...even someone who dies of say, AIDS**, which common sense will tell you, has to do with fornication (mostly) and not smoking. I believe they even include people who have been in contact with second hand smoke in this statistic (ie. nonsmokers who work in bars).

So when you hear a statement like "Every eight seconds, someone dies from tobacco use," even if it 'came from a 'legitimate study' you really need to think about the biases that have gone into selecting who is considered a 'victim of smoking.'

**For the nerds in the audience: yes, I actually mean complications due to AIDS and not AIDS itself.

Last edited by Mowicz : 10-23-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-23-2009
Lois
This message has been removed by a moderator. .