MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Work Study Program VoyozooT General Discussion 7 08-22-2009 04:35 PM
Work Study Program and OSCAR N.Cheng First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-21-2009 01:35 PM
Work-Study nuttynatz General Discussion 18 08-16-2007 09:55 PM

Work-Study Applications Available August 1st

Work-Study Applications Available August 1st

The Ontario Work-Study Program
(OWSP)

Ontario Work-Study is available during the fall/winter study period for current full-time undergraduate, graduate, MBA, School of Medicine and Mohawk Nursing Consortium students who have applied for OSAP. Applications open to students for fall/winter work-study ONLINE through MUGSI: August 1 - February 28.

The Ontario Work-Study Program complements the original plans in the OSAP package. It offers part-time jobs to undergraduate, graduate, MBA, School of Medicine and Mohawk Nursing Consortium students who are studying full-time at McMaster in the fall/winter session.
The Ontario Work-Study Program assists students who demonstrate financial need to meet exceptional costs, often unexpected, and not recognized under OSAP. It also helps students who lack the resources expected under OSAP criteria or, whose assessed need under OSAP is not met because of loan maximums or, who do not wish to borrow further due to high debt load.
Costs of this plan are shared by the provincial government and McMaster University.

To be considered for OWSP you must:
  • submit an online application through MUGSI
  • be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or 'Protected Person'
  • be a resident of Ontario in accordance with MTCU guidelines (having lived in Ontario for 12 consecutive months prior to beginning full-time post-secondary studies)
  • consistently maintain at least 60% of a full course load each term in a degree program during the Work-Study period at McMaster (40% for students with disabilities)
  • have a processed OSAP application in the current fall/winter study period on file. You do not need to be a recipient but you must apply!
  • be a full-time undergraduate, graduate, MBA, School of Medicine or Mohawk Nursing Consortium student in the most recent fall/winter session (not a 'continuing student')

http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html

After you apply for the Work-Study program, you can find job postings through OSCAR - The Online Student Career And Recruitment site. Keep an eye on it, and jobs off and on-campus will be posted throughout the 09-10 Fall/Winter terms.

__lexington says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:52 AM   #2
hellonewyork
Program: Honours Life Science
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 27 Times
Thanks!
Would you recommend a first-year student to apply? I don't know how my workload will be, so I don't know if I should apply or not.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:47 AM   #3
c.thomson
Faculty: Science
Year: Fourth

Liked: 4 Times
Personally, I would not recommend a first year science student to take on too many responsibilities. You're going to be adjusting to university, and if you're living in residence, than you'll want to have time to mingle and meet people as well as participating in residence events.

Also, profs generally don't hire first years unless you have some insider connections. So unless you really need money, or find a great opportunity that won't take up too much time, I wouldn't bother. However, if you're really serious, you should look for positions now, as they will go fast, ESPECIALLY for first years.
Old 08-01-2009 at 03:32 AM   #4
__lexington
Program: Communication Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
All you have to do is click "accept"? Seems to easy, am I missing something? And, do you need to apply for work study in order to be condiered for any jobs posted in OSCAR? Also, is there the flexibility to work more than ten hours a week?

Old 08-01-2009 at 10:13 AM   #5
saukalra
Elite Member
Program: Health Sciences

Liked: 18 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by __lexington View Post
All you have to do is click "accept"? Seems to easy, am I missing something? And, do you need to apply for work study in order to be condiered for any jobs posted in OSCAR? Also, is there the flexibility to work more than ten hours a week?
Yes, all you have to do is click "accept". Most on campus jobs are work study and you need to apply to work study to be considered for these jobs. But there are some other full time and part time jobs too on oscar, which you can apply without work study. I believe most work study jobs are for 10 hours a week but there may be flexibility for other jobs.

__lexington says thanks to saukalra for this post.
Old 08-01-2009 at 10:24 AM   #6
athmi100
Program: Engineering (General)
Year: First

Liked: 3 Times
Does everyone have an application or only those who are approved?
Old 08-01-2009 at 10:31 AM   #7
saukalra
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athmi100 View Post
Does everyone have an application or only those who are approved?
I think only those who have applied to osap have an application right now. if you did not apply to osap, then you have to go to/contact financial aid office to get approval.
Old 08-01-2009 at 10:32 AM   #8
athmi100

Thankyou
Old 08-01-2009 at 11:08 AM   #9
saukalra
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athmi100 View Post
Thankyou
No Problem
Old 08-01-2009 at 11:22 AM   #10
melodicdream
Program: Business
Year: Alumni

Liked: 10 Times
Hello! I've accepted my Work-Study application on MUGSI but I still can't log into OSCAR. Everytime I try to log in, it says that my username is invalid which is puzzling because I've been using it to log into MUGSI, the Residence Portal.... etc. Is there any reason why?
Old 08-01-2009 at 01:00 PM   #11
athmi100

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodicdream View Post
Hello! I've accepted my Work-Study application on MUGSI but I still can't log into OSCAR. Everytime I try to log in, it says that my username is invalid which is puzzling because I've been using it to log into MUGSI, the Residence Portal.... etc. Is there any reason why?
I can't log on either. I don't think anyone can log in yet.
Old 08-01-2009 at 11:28 PM   #12
__lexington
Program: Communication Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
I've had no problem logging into OSCAR... but I'm going into my second year... *shrug*
Old 08-01-2009 at 11:32 PM   #13
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
Like I have mentioned many, many times before FIRST YEARS CANNOT APPLY ON OSCAR YET AS THEY HAVE NOT YET BEEN UPLOADED TO THE SYSTEM.
Old 08-02-2009 at 06:27 AM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
Ugh. So... basically, I applied to OSAP right, but they've been asking for supporting documentation for certain things. I have an estimated amount of funding for 11,900 but it hasn't been confirmed yet because OSAP hasn't processed my documents yet.

So now on Work-Study it says this:

"The Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships is unable to approve your work-study application. Please take ACTION! to complete the application process:

You must meet OSAP Ontario residency requirements and be entitled to at least $ of OSAP to be automatically approved for work-study.
ACTION! Submit a paper work-study application or visit the Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships to v
erify your eligibility."

I don't understand the residency part as... I've lived in Ontario my entire life. I know it's obvious, but I guess I HAVE to go to McMaster to get approved? How do I submit a "paper work-study" application?
Old 08-05-2009 at 11:43 AM   #15
niteskie
Elite Member
Program: Psycholinguistics
Year: Other

Liked: 45 Times
I'm guessing first years can log onto oscar now...since I can.

EDIT: I'm on the Demographic Information section and it says major is required.What do I put?

Last edited by niteskie : 08-05-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search