MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working in Titles MacDai General Discussion 3 04-03-2011 04:22 PM
Hotmail not working guest_295 General Discussion 13 03-04-2011 11:35 AM
DC++ not working... bcars General Discussion 3 03-02-2011 03:20 PM
Emails not working? Flag First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 10:32 PM
Love Working with Kids & Looking to Volunteer? Lois Clubs & Groups 0 01-04-2009 08:36 PM

Working/Volunteer?

Old 10-22-2011 at 05:21 PM   #1
labeeb

Liked: 0 Times

Working/Volunteer?
Is there any way I can find a volunteer position in the field of science? because we have 4 months break and i really want to find something to do :/

Work or volunteer. Oscar is not really helping..

i have spoken to the admission office and all those offices that help us out.. and they keep recommending oscar.

I don't find much on oscar and the recommended sites provided are all jobs for students in the masters.

So any ideas guys?

And applying to a hospital seems highly useless as its like a 3 year wait :S

so ur opinion will be helpful thx
Old 10-22-2011 at 05:26 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Get to know your profs and then ask them if you can volunteer in their lab.
Old 10-22-2011 at 05:33 PM   #3
labeeb

Yeah I'm going to do that with Kajurra, but I'm just so lost in the sense that there isn't really anything I've found that can help apply/ or anything x.x
Old 10-22-2011 at 05:53 PM   #4
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by labeeb View Post
Yeah I'm going to do that with Kajurra, but I'm just so lost in the sense that there isn't really anything I've found that can help apply/ or anything x.x
Dr. Kajiura doesn't have a lab, so that may be difficult.

Old 10-22-2011 at 05:54 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by labeeb View Post
According to this: http://bio.mcmaster.ca/faculty/kajiura/kajiura.htm, Kajiura hasn't published since 1999...so she probably doesn't do research anymore. The page seems fairly up-to-date since it has the courses she teaches this year.

Postings for the summer won't be on OSCAR now, so that's why you haven't seen anything. If you want to start looking now, just email profs you're interested in. It's better if you know them personally, but it's not a requirement.
Old 10-22-2011 at 06:48 PM   #6
Malka

Liked: 10 Times

They put jobs on Oscar near end of second term for summer and near the end of summer break for new year.
Old 10-23-2011 at 03:51 AM   #7
labeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
They put jobs on Oscar near end of second term for summer and near the end of summer break for new year.
OOooohooHOOHOH that makes so much senseeeee :S

thank you so much ! IS that for volunteer too?
Old 10-23-2011 at 11:52 AM   #8
albalks

Liked: 16 Times

If you're looking for volunteer positions, check out the life science society's website: www.maclss.com -maybe there's something on there that might interest you
Old 10-23-2011 at 04:41 PM   #9
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

try applying to different places that aren't necessarily affiliated with mcmaster
you are saying that the wait for this Hospital is 3 years, but you can apply to many others (mind you, in different cities), that dont have such a long waiting period
Old 12-11-2011 at 12:07 AM   #10
fernancb

Liked: Liked 4 Times

^ Hey Marina

Back to the topic, go check OSCAR because they do post research opportunities. Otherwise, you're gonna have to do old-fashioned legwork, find a prof you're interested in working with in another university or Mac, shoot them an e-mail and wait patiently. It's really frustrating to wait, but the earlier you get cracking the better. And this way you may even fit some travel into your schedule
Old 12-11-2011 at 07:27 AM   #11
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

OSCAR is only for paid positions.

Look up a list of faculty members in the faculty you want and you should be able to find little blurbs on everyone's current research/publications. Email the ones that interest you with your CV and why you would like to volunteer in their lab. I got a research position that way in the FHS Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine.