MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cursor Frozen At Startup? Desda Computers & Tech 4 09-05-2010 11:56 PM
So excited for Farmers' Market! andrew22 Body & Food 12 08-28-2010 03:15 PM
Working at Titles / David Braley Centre / Union Market? kathyt.25 Volunteering Opportunities 11 06-10-2010 12:20 PM
Any good flea market in Hamilton? ayinaim General Discussion 3 03-15-2009 12:45 PM
Union Market Gets New Paint Job! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 11 07-22-2008 08:32 AM

Would it be possible to sell frozen dinners at Union Market?

Old 02-24-2010 at 08:26 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Would it be possible to sell frozen dinners at Union Market?
I'm not sure who to contact about this (SRAs, MSU President..), so I hope posting it on here will get some views.

Is there any way that Union Market could sell frozen dinners, like Lean Cuisine or Michelinas? I would bring them from home but I'm on the bus/in class for so long, they would go bad sitting in my bag unfrozen.

I would love to have a cheap meal type food at a place where I can pay debit. I know UM has sandwiches, but they are only there half the time and they're usually tuna.

Thanks for anyone who can help!
Old 02-24-2010 at 08:50 PM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

The best person to contact would be Julie Compton the manager. You can directly visit her and ask her, she is usually very helpful. I went to her office last year to whine about the discontinuation of the Fruit Punch 99c Arizonas, she explained why that was the case etc.

This is just speculation but the only issue might be Hospitality service's monopoly on food. Only 1280 & House of Games are allowed to sell food within the MSU and hence the sandwiches at House of Games are actually made by House of Games from my understanding.

But having said that I think to get Michelina's we might have to buy a new freezer/fridge as well? Not sure if they have enough space for another one.

But visit her or email her([email protected] cmaster.ca) and if there is an issue over there that is beyond her control then the SRA/MSU can get involved!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-24-2010 at 08:53 PM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Thanks! I'll email her.
Old 02-24-2010 at 10:02 PM   #4
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

I'm also thinking that Hospitality will say no to this. They've got a total monopoly over stuff like that in the student centre.

I'd be totally stoked if they'd sell stuff like that though.
Old 02-24-2010 at 10:13 PM   #5
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Is there any way that Union Market could sell frozen dinners, like Lean Cuisine or Michelinas? I would bring them from home but I'm on the bus/in class for so long, they would go bad sitting in my bag unfrozen.
I used to bring Michelinas to work all the time. I had to take a bus to work (about 30-45 minutes), then 5 hours of work til lunch break, and they were fine. As an added bonus, they didn't take as long to cook
Old 02-24-2010 at 10:21 PM   #6
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

They do sell frozen meals already at Bridges that you can microwave, but they're pretty expensive I think.

Could a possible solution around the hospitality issue be to sell these out of 1280 or House of Games or 1280, and people can use the microwave in UM?
Old 02-24-2010 at 10:23 PM   #7
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

i doubt 1280 or the house of games will sell them, theirs very little profit to be made through frozen dinners.
Old 02-24-2010 at 10:40 PM   #8
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I've had food thats been sitting outside for a while, never gotten ill from it. The way I see it, either nuking it in the microwave makes it safe, or your immune system gets stronger.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 02-24-2010 at 11:07 PM   #9
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
i doubt 1280 or the house of games will sell them, theirs very little profit to be made through frozen dinners.
Well, if you buy those frozen dinners they tend to be $1.29 in a grocery store. Less if you buy on sale, and I'm assuming much less if we could buy in bulk from a distributor. Lets just say $1 for simplicity though.

How much do you think that the MSU could sell them for? They aren't huge, but just as filling as a sandwich, probably more. Hot food, for a much cheaper price than Le Piazza, say $3, would probably move a lot of them. I'd buy them for that price, at least a couple times a week. $2 profit isn't that bad for a single item, especially if a lot of them can be moved. Definitely more than the MSU makes on something like a can of coke from UM, and while I'm not sure the exact profit margins on alcohol at 1280, I think this would be higher as well.

Obviously that doesn't include overhead costs, if a new freezer was required than it probably wouldn't be worth it.
Old 02-24-2010 at 11:58 PM   #10
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

I think that even if little profit were made, it would be more the idea that the MSU is providing something that students want at no loss to the MSU, but of course it would have to get past hospitality services.

I'm also interested in this and may be poking my nose around a bit to see what the restricitons are and the possibilities

Marlowe likes this.
Old 02-25-2010 at 11:51 AM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaf View Post
I think that even if little profit were made, it would be more the idea that the MSU is providing something that students want at no loss to the MSU, but of course it would have to get past hospitality services.

I'm also interested in this and may be poking my nose around a bit to see what the restricitons are and the possibilities
That's what is kind of frustrating about this. I'm sure the MSU could make a profit. But isn't it worth giving students what they want, even if the MSU is only make a little profit? They won't lose any money and it will make us happy.
Old 02-25-2010 at 12:27 PM   #12
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
I've had food thats been sitting outside for a while, never gotten ill from it. The way I see it, either nuking it in the microwave makes it safe, or your immune system gets stronger.
The problem with carrying frozen food around though, is that it melts all over your everything.
Old 02-25-2010 at 01:27 PM   #13
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
That's what is kind of frustrating about this. I'm sure the MSU could make a profit. But isn't it worth giving students what they want, even if the MSU is only make a little profit? They won't lose any money and it will make us happy.

I think that's why if anything, it would be hospitality services that's the obstacle
Old 02-25-2010 at 01:55 PM   #14
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

The barrier to this is that Union Market doesn't have a freezer other than the ice-cream freezer.

McIntyre says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 02-25-2010 at 03:17 PM   #15
Nicole

Liked: 2 Times

They do sell frozen dinners at My Mini-Mac at Keyes.