MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Campus Bike Racks Sustain11 MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-03-2011 02:48 PM
Not enough bike racks!! creen General Discussion 29 09-15-2009 12:40 PM

Where would you like more bike racks on campus?

Did you know McMaster has been ranked 4th in Canada’s top cycling schools?!

Now, the MSU is working in collaboration with the Office of Sustainability, Security & Parking Services and Facility Services to increase the number of bike racks on campus in 2012 and we are looking for your feedback on where they should go.

Take a moment to have your say by visiting http://www.mcmaster.ca/sustainability/

Happy Cycling!
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 12-06-2011 at 01:24 PM   #2
Infinity
Elite Member
Program: Science
Year: Second

Liked: 93 Times
Student Center.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-06-2011 at 01:30 PM   #3
Bhaltair
Elite Member
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering
Year: Alumni

Liked: 158 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
Student Center.
They have already expanded the bike racks near the student center.

They have also put in a new bike locker near the Nuclear Research Building.
Old 12-06-2011 at 03:42 PM   #4
person33
Program: Political Science
Year: Third

Liked: 53 Times
there is still not enough racks outside the student center even with the like two extra racks they put in. also the lockers are a good idea but its inconvient because you have to register to be able to put your bike there. its also a problem with people not knowing how to properly park their bikes and being inconsiderate towards other people's property- this issue will not be solved just by putting more racks

Old 12-06-2011 at 03:45 PM   #5
Chevalier
Elite Member
Program: not entirely sure
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 203 Times
also has anyone noticed that the racks beside mdcl have been sawed through on several occasions, maybe put these racks where its safe !!! and they are less likely to get vandalized
Old 12-06-2011 at 04:00 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
I don't really care where they go, because any increase in racks would tend toward a drop in overfull racks everywhere because people won't be forced to overload another spot because the main spot they wanted to park was full... (i.e. people parking at BSB when they really wanted to park at MUSC).

A lot of good space gets wasted some times because bike racks are so close together and its aggrivating to try to weave your way in with a large metal vehicle in your hands above your head to attempt to fit it in a tight awkward little spot.. then every once and a while you realize the spot you were going for isn't big enough for your bike because some dill-hole left his front wheel on an angle when he locked it up, preventing you from fitting.

A bigger issue that needs to be addressed is there has to be more cover from rain on ALL of the racks though, because people every year seem to forget their piece of crap bike in a heavily used spot, then upon realized their gear and chain has become irrepairibly rusted and messed up, just abandon it. It then sits there for months when security decides that nobody loves it any more and sets it free and auctions it off.

Also: put a damn cover on the caged in bike area near GH/TSH, because thats one thing that stops me from purchasing a key to that place. .. .. ....
Old 12-06-2011 at 04:56 PM   #7
Snowman
Elite Member
Program: Engineering & Management
Year: Fifth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 180 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

A bigger issue that needs to be addressed is there has to be more cover from rain on ALL of the racks though, because people every year seem to forget their piece of crap bike in a heavily used spot, then upon realized their gear and chain has become irrepairibly rusted and messed up, just abandon it. It then sits there for months when security decides that nobody loves it any more and sets it free and auctions it off.

Also: put a damn cover on the caged in bike area near GH/TSH, because thats one thing that stops me from purchasing a key to that place. .. .. ....
I actually did a part of a report on this for my enviro engineering class. I basically said to put a small pavillion like roof, kind of like an aluminum shed roof with small pillars in a place that has some surveilance so its not vandalized, and more people will want to go there so there is less damage to their bike and so its not wet or snow covered. maybe i could forward that part to someone...
Old 12-06-2011 at 08:16 PM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 526 Times
outside edwards is ALWAYS a hellhole...
Old 12-06-2011 at 08:30 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan H. View Post
I actually did a part of a report on this for my enviro engineering class. I basically said to put a small pavillion like roof, kind of like an aluminum shed roof with small pillars in a place that has some surveilance so its not vandalized, and more people will want to go there so there is less damage to their bike and so its not wet or snow covered. maybe i could forward that part to someone...
Do it upp...

A tarp would suffice though
Old 12-07-2011 at 03:04 PM   #10
morsmordre
Program: Anthropology
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS

Liked: Liked 5 Times
EVERYWHERE!! I bike every day and i always end up leaving earlier than i have to just go i can guarantee time to find a spot on a rack

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search